No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2012-07-14, 10:28am
DM Pipes

Default Soreness of the Lungs

Okay, So, I feel really stupid posting this, because I could have EASILY avoided this...

I have excellent ventilation in my shop, but two days ago I had my torches in a different location with no ventilation whatsoever, other than an open door to the outside. I just needed to make a little piece out of clear boro, and decided to just go ahead and do it. I thought it was only going to take like 20 minutes, but I ended up working over the torch for about an hour, maybe hour and a half.

Later in the day I noticed a soreness in my lungs, the same exact feeling you get if you go swimming for a long time. When I take a deep breath I feel the urge to cough. Other than that I felt completely normal.

I had also done some extreme physical exercise a couple days before, so I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it...

Has anyone else experienced this? It has not gone away yet.

I'm hoping that it's just some minor irritation, but I'll probably go to the clinic later to make sure It's nothing serious.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2012-07-14, 12:33pm
Know-it-all Megalomaniac

I would wait a few days. It sounds like maybe you just have a chest
cold. One piece of boro worked for an hour shouldn't destroy your lungs
(unless you were fuming without ventilation). Plus you mentioned that
you did some extreme exercising, so that probably played into it too.

Give it a few days and see.

Get your copy of the new Lampwork Etc. Tutorials and Tips Book

Old 2012-07-14, 11:34pm
Unmedicated since '62

i think it would take a lot more than one longish session to do enough damage to actually make your lungs sore

i'm a little obsessive about safety and i torch with a cross breeze

- my 17yo sons first novel

- download, get organised, enjoy
Old 2012-07-15, 3:49pm

You're probably experiencing the effects fo exposure to the nitric oxides and other components of the torch flame. These are respiratory irritants. Studies have shown that heavy exercise can make you more sensitive to irritant gas exposure. You probably aren't ruined but may have some irritation for a day or so. If it doesn't clear up pretty fast of gets worse I'd recommend seeing a doctor.

Robert
Old 2012-07-15, 4:50pm

If you have a regular doctor they often have a line that you can call with questions like this also there are nurse lines in many cities that you can call to run it by them to see if you need to go in. You only get 1 pair of lungs.
Caroline
Old 2012-07-17, 6:17am
Gentleman of Leisure

Bump... Update us Dan, how are you doing?

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2012-07-17, 5:11pm

I too have felt this several times. I'm bad about not turning on my vent. I know...I know. I thought it might be from breathing in propane from the torch but maybe it's the metals in the silver glasses. Either way I feel a tightness in my lungs. Coughing. Sometimes it will last a day or two.

Oh, and I definitely don't do any exercise, so that's not part of my equation.

I've already decided this week to be more diligent with my ventilation.

"People can be the wind beneath your wings or the anchor on your boat" John Maxwell
Old 2012-07-20, 9:23pm
DM Pipes

Update, It cleared up in a day. No big deal!

Thanks everyone for the comments!

Old 2012-07-21, 8:55am

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanMorrison View Post
Update, It cleared up in a day. No big deal!

Thanks everyone for the comments!
Good news. Definitely a wake up call for those folks who work without ventilation. Not just paranoia. Combustion creates by products that can effect your health.
Old 2012-07-25, 2:59am
Evil Glass Enabler

I can tell the difference when I work in shops with ventilation other than my own. The suckalux system I have in my shop is a lot more powerful than most of the ventilation other folks put in. I'm a canary. I need it! It's good to hear you're feeling better. Angelique

Fantasy Sterling Jewelry
Hothead or Nortel Major/minor on an oxycon. Ex-hole stole the big torches after putting them on the inventory.
"If I'm not part of the solution then I'm part of the problem. Today I'm part of the problem."