Lampwork Etc.

Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2012-03-19, 3:22pm

Default For My Fume Buddies

This is pretty much what I'm getting. I'm using gold and silver. The gold doesn't fume very heavy no matter what I do but I do see some pink. (except once I got gold!)

So please critique it. I let pieces like this go through several rounds in the kiln but nothing changes.
Attached Images

Old 2012-03-19, 3:41pm

Nice! Looks like mostly silver in this one to me. Is this from leaf or foil? What does the flame look like when you are fuming gold? Getting enough gold fume should not be an issue. Most suggest an oxidizing flame for that but I have much better results with my Mirage when it is neutral.
Old 2012-03-19, 7:50pm

Yes, it looks mostly silver to me, too. I'm still trying to figure out my flames. I know my torch is too hot for what I'm trying to do. If I'm lucky I get some slight pink with the gold. Scorpion and an M-20 and 2 5's barely breathing. This is 99% silver.
Old 2012-03-19, 9:25pm

Actually it looks to me like your flame was reducing. I would increase the oxygen slightly if you want less white and more color. Looks like your on your way!
Old 2012-03-19, 9:54pm

I'm definitely not an expert at fuming, but this is how I do it.
I go wit an oxidizing flame with the gold. I start with a flame that's obviously reduction, then slowly add oxygen. Once there is no longer a reddish tip to the candles I add just a little more, watching for the candles to shrink a bit. I heat my piece until glowing, then move it out to the tip of the cone. Then I burn my gold just above the candles. This is an awkward position. I'm just looking for a light fume. I sometimes have to adjust the oxygen. I wasn't using enough heat when I first started using gold. I was scared I would burn it up. If the receiving piece isn't hot enough it won't stick.
Now I'm ready for the silver. I back off the oxygen until my candles start getting a little bushy, but not enough to get the reddish tips. I burn the silver about a third of the way up the cone with the glass two thirds up. I go for a light fume again. If the flame is too hot the silver will spit chunks on the glass. That leads to blotchy fuming.
I add my cane with the same flame. If you work an oxidizing flame the silver goes away, reduction will take away the gold.
I use the pre-mix minor on my Red Max when I fume. I've tried it on a surface mix minor on a buddies Midrange Plus. I don't know if it was just in my head, but it seemed a lot harder.
I don't get consistent results, so I'm probably doing something wrong. I've only had gold a few months, but find it easier to use than the silver. I cut my metal from coins.
Hope this helps you. Good luck.

Last edited by Jngljnke; 2012-03-19 at 10:20pm. Reason: I'm an idiot.
Old 2012-03-20, 4:33am
Pyromaniac

Looks like heavy silver indeed. Perhaps try going a bit lighter with that.

Also, I find that it takes more time to get good fume with gold, if that helps.

Fortune Cookie say, "When things go wrong, don't go with them!"

Current Glass-Melting Apparatus:
GTT Lynx powered by 2 5 LPM Oxycons and
a sexy Barracuda running pure tanked Oxy
Old 2012-03-20, 5:31am
Karen James

First, I have to say that my monitor is showing a spectacular opal look Rose. I personally love the way it looks

In your other thread and this one I'm not sure if one point was mentioned, once the gold or silver fuming has been applied to the glass, you want to be sure to encase it. It can burn off if you keep it exposed to the flame. Maybe you are losing some of your gold this way?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Karen
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Cricket, Mini CC, Devilbiss MC84 Oxy and NG
Old 2012-03-20, 8:53am

Thanks everyone for your input. I'll keep trying....

I'd love to see other's fumed boro. Please post here if you like. If you used gold and silver, please say. That way I can see different results.
Old 2012-03-20, 9:37am

Do you get the glass warmed up at all before fuming? For me, especially with gold, I want the glass rod/tube to be slightly warm before I start fuming. Too hot and I find the gold doesn't "stick", ditto with too cold. I also was taught to add a touch of silver before the gold to get it to "stick" as well.
Also I now work on a mirage and find a reducing flame works better than oxidizing. I use to work on a Nortel with a pre-mix on top and would always use a very oxidizing flame. What are your psi settings? I only worked tanked O2 so I can't help you much with concentrators.

Here are some pics of my fumed work. First one is just gold the other two are an example of layering gold and silver. You really want to watch the silver when trying to layer, it's easy to put on too much.

Ashlea

Old 2012-03-20, 12:49pm

All I can say is everyone here has been so giving and helpful. Thank you!

I work with NG so no PSI or it's whatever that comes in the house. I think from everything I'm hearing, people develop a way over time that works for them and the torch/oxygen setup.

I have been getting the glass to a warm glow before applying gold. I will try a bit cooler.

I know if I figure this out I will climb on my rooftop and scream.

Ashlea, your work is incredible! Thanks for sharing.
Old 2012-03-20, 1:57pm
Serenity Now!

Great thread! Beautiful work Ashlea. I'm also intrigued with fuming, but have only tried it a few times. How much silver is too much? Or more pointedly - what is a good amount of silver fume? Thanks Boro peeps...

Art, Colour, Bling & Happy happening here:
Old 2012-03-20, 3:37pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose View Post
I work with NG so no PSI or it's whatever that comes in the house. I think from everything I'm hearing, people develop a way over time that works for them and the torch/oxygen setup.
Yup. I dont know of a repeatable way to really describe flame chemistry from torch to torch. Torch designs vary so much and there are so many other variables involved that I think there is no substitute for experimentation. Here is an implosion I did about a year ago that shows yet another color variation for gold fume. I think this was done with 22K leaf.
Attached Images

Old 2012-03-21, 4:44am

Wow Larry! Beautiful color.

I tried again last night and for the gold I turned my flame down small and had it just what I would think would be soft and slightly reducing. That worked! I did't get a heavy gold fume yet but better than before. I can't caputure it in a pic and will run the marble thru the kiln more. But I DO see bright green, gold and blues.

On my way!
Old 2012-03-21, 7:24am

Post a pic when its cooled. One more for ya.
Attached Images

Old 2012-03-21, 3:18pm

After missing my center with the dot/circles, I decided to work on fuming and sparkle colors. Nice work Ashley and Larry.

Old 2012-03-22, 8:30am

Val, A heavy silver will turn the glass a almost white/ heavy pewter look. You can always burn it off a bit though if you want. It just depends on what I am doing, sometime I want the heavy silver look to make my design look solid white. If you want to layer gold and silver I do a very tiny bit of silver, just enough to make the glass turn a pale yellow. Then gold, a decent amount, then a tiny bit of silver again. Hope that helps.

Also great work Larry and Gary!

Ashlea

Old 2012-03-22, 10:40am

Default Gold fume

I've been fuming a lot lately. I'm on a oxycon pushing a National M8. I use an oxidizing flame to get the gold on the glass.
Attached Images

Old 2012-03-22, 11:58am
Borosapien

I fume with my lynx hooked up to two 5lpm oxycons this is the result

Old 2012-03-22, 12:27pm

Marcel,your bears, hell all of your stuff is great. I have seen this bear before, it looks like an entire universe in there. Fantastic!!!!! Would you consider a tutorial? I am sure you could sell many copies. Just a thought. Again, great work!
Dave
Old 2012-03-22, 12:52pm

I'd definitely spring for a bear tutorial.
Old 2012-03-22, 2:18pm

Oh Yes, your Bear tut, me three.

"All true artists, whether they know it or not, create from a place of no-mind, from inner stillness."
Eckhart Tolle

Cathy[/font]
Old 2012-03-22, 5:42pm

Wow, thanks for all the eye candy! I haven't been back to my torch in a few days as I got sidetracked. Your work is all so inspiring, to say the least!
Old 2012-03-23, 6:38am
Borosapien

It is nice that you like my bears but i won't be making a Tutorial about
my Bears sorry it doesn't feel right it is like selling my soul.

Old 2012-03-23, 9:33am
Serenity Now!

Although, of course, I would also love to learn your techniques, I do admire your ethics and morals, Marcel. Cheers to you...

Art, Colour, Bling & Happy happening here:
Old 2012-03-23, 12:06pm

I completely understand if you don't want to make a tutorial. Like I said, it was just a thought. I love your work. I can't wait to see your next piece!
Dave
Old 2012-03-24, 12:17pm

So heavy silver makes the white fume. Gold AND silver make green? I got green, YAY. Now, what else can be done with fume? I've seen the gold with white makes pink. I know we can throw some blues in there.......
Old 2012-03-24, 4:02pm

Default Fumed marble

I've gone fume crazy this week.
Dave
Attached Images

Old 2012-03-25, 1:22pm

Lookin' great Dave! I had a pendant that was green sitting here waiting to back into the kiln for another round. Well, my cats had other ideas for it I guess. Gone
Old 2012-03-26, 10:16am
Karen James

That means there was some wonderful sparkle to it Rose! Kitties love the shiny stuff

Karen

Cricket, Mini CC, Devilbiss MC84 Oxy and NG