Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2008-08-26, 9:29am

Default Is there such a thing as....

a kiln fired paint that can go back into the flame to be encased after it's been fired? What I want to do is make a bead, paint on it and then fire it in the kiln. Remove the bead from the kiln hot, and reintroduce it into the flame to encase. I know it's usually done on sheet glass and then applied, but I want to do it this way if possible.

Thanks in advance for any info.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2008-08-26, 10:41am
Puddy Cat Lover

Hi Cynthia,
That sounds a little tricky. What kind of paint will you be using? I hope you try this and post your results. It would be interesting to see.
J.

Old 2008-08-26, 10:56am
ManBearPig

I believe that's the sort of thing that Bronwen Heilman (http://ghostcow.com/) does. She uses enamels to paint on the glass. A lot of them are then encased.

I don't know how she does it, though, so I'm of no help in that department. But, I'm sure it can be done...

Old 2008-08-26, 10:57am

Well Jeanette, I don't know about the paint. I think I am going to go to the local ceramic/glass store here and ask them for some advise. I'll see what I come up with. There is another thing to consider too. I'm not sure if paint will give off any kind on noxious fumes if put into the flame.

Old 2008-08-26, 10:58am

Hi Cosmo. I think she paints on sheet glass, and then applies it to a base bead. Thanks for the link though, I'm going to go look.

Old 2008-08-26, 11:43am

There is a book called Bronwen Heilman, Vitreous Painting Techniques for Glass Beadmaking that explains how these are done. Very detailed book and I would recommend it for what you are trying to do.
Old 2008-08-26, 11:55am
ManBearPig

There was an article in the Annealer magazine a while back about doing this too. They took enamel powders and mixed them with something (alcohol? oil? water?) and painted them on the bead. Then they slowly heated it up in the kiln and then introduced it to the flame. I would assume you could then encase it.

Having never done it, I'm not sure though.

Old 2008-08-26, 12:55pm

Yep, this is exactly what I want to do. Well, I guess I'm just going to go ahead and try it. What's the worst that could happen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmo View Post
There was an article in the Annealer magazine a while back about doing this too. They took enamel powders and mixed them with something (alcohol? oil? water?) and painted them on the bead. Then they slowly heated it up in the kiln and then introduced it to the flame. I would assume you could then encase it.

Having never done it, I'm not sure though.

Old 2008-08-26, 1:12pm
too many rods in the fire

Ooooh Cynthia - if it works out, maybe you can add this technique to your class in Oct. at Arrow Springs??? As if I won't already be on major overload with all the other stuff you will be teaching.

Old 2008-08-26, 1:22pm
Tinder Bloom Studio

Paradise paints would probably work but I think I read they are no longer in business because of the wildfires...not sure but thats the paint that's used in furnace glass to do graal techniques(where you blow a small blank, paint it, fire it in the kiln, pick it up, encase it, then blow it out). You can use enamels and mix them in a medium that will burn off in the kiln but not before the enamels fuse though! I'm not sure what the medium would be. Maybe they have info on the Thompson site. If you fire the enamel in the kiln then you shouldn't have to worry too much introducing it into the flame...

Not that I've ever done it but I do have some 10 year old paradise paints somewhere in my attic and the thought has crossed my mind to get them out and try in. I've only done it in Studio glass.

Last edited by FlameFilly; 2008-08-26 at 1:26pm.
Old 2008-08-26, 1:48pm

Glassline paints can be fired to 1500 ºF. Wonder if it'll work??
Old 2009-01-20, 11:40pm

Howdy ya'all. Come on by my website and send me a hello. I will be teaching this technique again this year. In Tx. , England and Arizona. Please sign up for a fun class!

-Bronwen
Old 2009-01-21, 12:07am
a pox upon an idiot :..

Bronwen, I just received your book and am having a hard time deciding the tracing black that I need to purchase. I'm only interested in the most dense tracing black that I can fire onto a finished bead without the bead slumping, none of the colored paints right now. Could the tracing black order numbers have changed since you wrote the book?

Thanks in advance
Old 2009-01-21, 6:59am
Cherine Perrin Glass

I am pretty sure that Reusche paints can be fired and taken back out then encased.
Bronwen would know for sure but if you get the booklet by Jim Kervin on Bronwen it has a lot of that info in there.

My Etsy shop: https://
face="Verdana">Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/CherinePerrinLampwork/
Old 2009-01-21, 10:49am
Bracelet Ho

I use stencil black mixed a small amount of gum arabic and clove oil, though I believe you could use squeegie oil. All are available from Reusche. The same technique can be used on glass for fusing.