No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2016-04-10, 8:19pm
Lifelong Student

Default Iris gold cane

I ordered cane thinking it was rods. Now that I have them, what do I do with them? I don't think my setup will work. I have a mini cc and an EX15 concentrator.
Old 2016-04-10, 9:49pm
Loving learning

Rods are the fat ones, cane is the regular lampworking stuff, at least where I get it. I am confused, what did you want?
Old 2016-04-10, 10:24pm
Lifelong Student

I got the big fat ones that are about an inch in diameter. I thought they were the 6-8 mm rods
Old 2016-04-10, 11:24pm
Slogan Challenged...

Oh boo!

I have heard to use the kiln to heat them up, then pull them out into smaller rods or make frit. (or both LOL)

maybe you can sell them? How many did you get stuck with.

Facebook:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Etsy:

Old 2016-04-11, 12:25am
Lifelong Student

I'm wondering if my mini cc has enough umph to melt it
Old 2016-04-11, 1:34am
Phill

I would start with preheating one end in a kiln if you can.

I remember reading stories of folks making guillotines with angle iron, files and sledge hammers.

Myself, I would send it back and eat the costs of shipping.

I assume that you are talking about coe 90 or 96. If its 104 I can volunteer to buy some $20 worth of it from you to help offset the costs. That is not including the shipping that I can cover also.

I guess you could try kiln heating it, followed buy some serious torch attention and a cold water bath to make frit.

I often spend 15 minutes at the start of a torching session reconstituting a few pounds of intense black frit I got a deal on back into something approaching cane size. Kind of a zen thing I guess.

ETA: I still have some of the welding torch equipment I bought when I first got addicted to glass. That ought to be able to get some of the end to liquefy.

Last edited by Speedslug; 2016-04-11 at 1:36am.
Old 2016-04-11, 4:29am

Put it in a paper bag. Take a hammer and hit one end- hard! Now take the reasonable size pieces and preheat them, then pull them out.

I did that with a raku cane in 2004. I still have some of the rod left! I was giving it away for a long time!

Sue
and the present is a gift.
Old 2016-04-11, 5:30am
Loving learning

If you got it from OCR, you need to look for "lampwork cane" to get the smaller diameter stuff we use. Rods on their site are the furnace glass size.

Shawnette had a post somewhere telling how she uses the rods, but I can't remember where, sorry.
Old 2016-04-11, 5:32am
Lampworkaholic!

Exchange it or sell it.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2016-04-11, 8:20am

I break them up and pull stringer off the chunks.
Old 2016-04-11, 2:56pm
Slogan Challenged...

Hey Phil, where are pics of your work. I'm always curious, you should post!

Personally, if they will take exchanges, I would do that Norma. Too much would get wasted otherwise, I think. Not to mention the time involved in messing around with it. They are probably used to it LOL

Facebook:

Etsy:

Old 2016-04-11, 7:29pm
Lifelong Student

To all of you that recommended I send the rods back, thank you. The gal I spoke with was so helpful. When I told her I would be leaving town, she said she would put a rush on the order. Great customer service goes a long way in my book!
Old 2016-04-11, 7:33pm
Slogan Challenged...

awesome!

Facebook:

Etsy:

Old 2016-04-12, 12:27am
Phill

Well Kristen it's been a solid year since I lit the torch but I did happen to spend a solid 12 hours playing the other day and I even got a snap shot to show.

None of it is anything to be impressed with but I did manage to make something that started out as a flower implosion and even "fixed" it few times when the heat gradient caused it to crack with a dozen fractures.

I am just pleased that I could actually get it out of kiln in one piece because it's 104 and sizable globs of 104 wind up as frit on me more often than not.

Here are my lovelies; the yellow thing is the implosion and the banded thing above it is my second attempt at a hollow bead.

The hollow has some Devardi black and some of Brads Striking color glass and the difference in viscosities almost wound up with a major blowout to shards but I managed to save that one as well.

I got some learning to do yet, me thinks but thanks for asking.
Attached Images

Old 2016-04-12, 4:41am
Slogan Challenged...

aww thanks for sharing. I didn't know it had been that long. It looks like you tried out a bit. I don't know that I would have braved an implosion or hollow bead so fast. In fact, still haven't. LOL Rock on!

Facebook:

Etsy:

Old 2016-04-12, 6:44am
Phill

I got lots of head learning.

But thinking about it don't melt glass.

It's hand learning and the heat balance I am working on these days.
Old 2016-04-12, 8:23am
Slogan Challenged...

Dunno about that. I melt glass in my dreams.

Facebook:

Etsy: