Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2005-06-22, 6:50pm
Procrastinate Now!!

Default Scalding my beads... AGAIN... Help!!

Ok, I've asked this question numerous times and always get the same answer. Not sure the answer will change, but some insight into why this happens would be great.

My question is: I'm on a hot head, yet I seem to be boiling some of my beads. Tonight's boiling beads were Light Blue Effetre with Meadow Blue Frit, & Light Blue Effetre with Copper Blue Frit. My flame is so low that if I turned it down any more it would go off. My bead is so far out in the flame that if it were any farther, the glow goes out of the bead. What is the next step towards not burning my beads??

And how the heck do these various frits and glasses work on hotter torches if I'm frying it with a hot head???

Signed... Frustrated in MN

Those who restrain desire do so because theirs is weak enough to be restrained.
Old 2005-06-22, 6:58pm
Back from the Dark Side

Here is my opinion Denise...and it's just that, an opinion. I think it has something to do with the gas mix. I rarely boil a bead on my minor, but it has more oxygen than a HH. It could be that the HH doesn't pull enough air to adjust. It is more of a reducing flame. Are you using propylyne(?) or mapp gas?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
~
~
Steal List - 48, 50, 60, 32, and 29 for now
Old 2005-06-22, 7:00pm
Procrastinate Now!!

Hi Lynn,

Thanks so much for responding. I'm using mapp gas. Do these frits work for you on your minor??

Old 2005-06-22, 7:03pm
Back from the Dark Side

These were both done on my minor last night.

~
~
~
Old 2005-06-22, 7:04pm
Procrastinate Now!!

Pretty!! Which frits did you use?

Old 2005-06-22, 7:08pm
Back from the Dark Side

The top is opal blue (i think) and the bottom is yellowish aurora. I can get you the numbers later.

Maybe you could try just hitting the edge of the flame with the bead. It may take longer, but it might help.

~
~
~
Old 2005-06-22, 7:31pm
One Crazy Mama

Hi Denise, I too am on a hothead torch. I want to upgrade but no funds...

I switched to propane and work under the flame and don't have that problem anymore. I too keep a really really low flame. But since switching to propane, no problems...or? i don't know...

hope someone has an answer for you

Old 2005-06-23, 5:13am
Formerly Travelin'gal

Hi Denise,
I have found that some frits like to boil and pit more than others. I do agree that it probably has to do with the amount of propane in the mix. The more propane the more pits and boiling. I have to watch it on our National 8 when I use the frits because that will happen. I have to work colder and turn the propane down. That is probably why you are having trouble on the HH.

~
~
~
~
~
Old 2005-06-23, 10:21am
Procrastinate Now!!

Thanks Deanna! Hopefully I'll be able to upgrade in a year or so.

Old 2005-06-23, 10:33am
Back from the Dark Side

Denise, some frits get kind of pitted no matter what torch you are using. Raku on Copper green gets rough edges around the frit...i call 'em frit zits!

~
~
~
Old 2005-06-23, 5:59pm

The light blue is persnickity on the HH to begin with and that frit does pit. I just did some beads with the same frit and noticed pitting when they came out of the kiln...so work it coooooooool!

Cass

Old 2005-06-23, 6:52pm

I think the answer lies in more oxygen in a Minor, for instance, than on a hothead. More oxygen lets you work "cooler"
Hugs
Lynnie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadiesmom
Ok, I've asked this question numerous times and always get the same answer. Not sure the answer will change, but some insight into why this happens would be great.

My question is: I'm on a hot head, yet I seem to be boiling some of my beads. Tonight's boiling beads were Light Blue Effetre with Meadow Blue Frit, & Light Blue Effetre with Copper Blue Frit. My flame is so low that if I turned it down any more it would go off. My bead is so far out in the flame that if it were any farther, the glow goes out of the bead. What is the next step towards not burning my beads??

And how the heck do these various frits and glasses work on hotter torches if I'm frying it with a hot head???

Signed... Frustrated in MN

Thank You to ALL of my friends
who have journeyed
With me thru my elbow injury
and recovery!

: