Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2009-04-08, 6:44pm
Dichro Addict

Default Is there a maroon colored glass?

I need maroon or burgundy opaque glass. I pretty much stick to Moretti and there is nothing close. Is there something out there that is maroon or bugundy? Help!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2009-04-08, 6:57pm
Life is change. Love it

Wouldn't the purple red work? I'm not sure exactly what colour you want. More of a purple?

Old 2009-04-08, 7:34pm
Tassie Devil

Dark amethyst over ivory or white will give you a maroon colour
Old 2009-04-08, 7:35pm
Looking for Spock's Brain

Purple reds works for me, too.

Joyce

Old 2009-04-08, 7:46pm
Oh, baby, I m'know...

I vote for purple red.

Old 2009-04-08, 8:06pm
SCIENCE Teacher!

Some of the brown 444 look maroon opaque to me, especially when I want them to be brown, of course!
Old 2009-04-08, 8:28pm
No Problem!

I agree with the red-brown although we have some "Strawberry Sweet" odds (vetrofond I think) that my eye went to also..

(Beau & Shani)

Old 2009-04-08, 9:21pm
Guera loca

My favorite maroon/burgundy glass is the Check Glass transparent garnet vintage. It's a striking color, a lovely lovely rich burgundy. I've never seen anything like it in the Moretti/Effetre/Vetrofond palette. It looks like a glass of merlot.

Of course, it's not very compatible with the Moretti/Effetre/Vetrofond line, so I've used it mostly for spacers or with other Check glass, but it is so pretty. Then again, so is their tourmaline pink, their denim, and their grape.

It's available on their website, www.checkglass.com. Hopefully, the guys will have it at the Gathering in Miami so you can fondle it in person.

Barb

PS - If you must stay at 104, how about CiM bordello?

- our restaurant

Last edited by bjcohan; 2009-04-08 at 9:24pm.
Old 2009-04-08, 9:51pm
Dichro Addict

great suggestions! I'll start trying them out! It doesn't have to be moretti. I'll try anything.

Old 2009-04-08, 9:53pm
And silence is golden

Yes Lenora! You are looking for opaque. Vetrofond Coral for Maroon. And Moretti Purple Red for Burgandy

Vetrofond Coral encased in clear with Raku stringers

Last edited by Shrimp; 2009-04-08 at 9:57pm.
Old 2009-04-09, 5:08am
Dichro Addict

Thank you!!!

Old 2009-04-09, 5:20am
Sorry for party rockin'

Another vote for purple red . . . you can also encase it with a thin layer of transp purple, that's pretty also!

Edited to add photos - - - here is the color you get with purple red:

Last edited by GinnyHampton; 2009-04-09 at 5:27am.
Old 2009-04-09, 5:30am
caffiene, beads, bedhead,

incase opaque red with tran purple,
the darker purple you use the more burgundy..

~~
~~
Old 2009-04-09, 6:51am
Mary Lockwood

Maybe I'm nuts but I don't think purple red is maroonish at all.

Red brown would do. Maybe even wine red- but I'm thinking that might be an old color they don't make anymore??? Maybe it is readily available but I haven't ordered any in years so I don't know. It was a lot like the red brown though.

Our school districts colors are maroon and gold and when I make beads for the kids for school stuff I use the wine red.

~~Mary

Old 2009-04-09, 8:22am
I like to melt things

CiM Simply Berry is sort of maroon-purple coloured. If you layered it over red you'd get more of the reddish tint to it.

-
-
Old 2009-04-09, 9:35am
SierraCatz

My choice is CIM Bordello...love it ! The closest I have found to marroon

Barbara -
"Women & cats will do as they please, & men & dogs should relax & get used to the idea!" Unknown
Old 2009-04-09, 11:34am
Virginia.

hmm, I don't like the CIM bordello - if I can find what I did with it, I will send it to you to try - I just haven't had good luck with it - I only have part of a rod, so I might not be able to find it, but at least you could try it.
would love to see what you do with it Barbara, pics please - I just haven't gotten what I want with it. I love all the other CIM colors I have tried. (just wanted to stick that in, didn't want this to seem like a CIM jab)

If you have a chance, choose to dance!! If you are sick - stay home - you too can personally start a Pandemic!!! - Virginia

Old 2009-04-09, 11:57am
SierraCatz

Virginia - I did take pics - they are still on my camera..made a focal & two lentils with terranova 2 frit as accent ...My pics are NEVER very good and the colors might not be very true but as soon as I retrieve my camera I will get them downloaded! I have already sold several focals using it and these are similar..people seem to like the color!

Barbara -
"Women & cats will do as they please, & men & dogs should relax & get used to the idea!" Unknown
Old 2009-04-09, 12:11pm

My best burgandy was red transparent over one of the browns..... I loves those beads, but most of them cracked... I'm not sure that brown wanted to be encased....

The blogs of your fellow LE'ers are here...

And lookie, it's all about me... ***
Old 2009-04-09, 1:40pm
Sharon

Awwww....don't tell me you are making beads in Texas A & M colors!!!

I had the same dilemma but was looking for Longhorn colors!! Bullseye Burnt Orange is EXACTLY the right color for making Longhorn beads!!!

So...you just have to switch teams...then no color issues!!!

Hook'em Horns!!
Old 2009-04-09, 2:06pm
Dichro Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotblubonnet View Post
Awwww....don't tell me you are making beads in Texas A & M colors!!!

I had the same dilemma but was looking for Longhorn colors!! Bullseye Burnt Orange is EXACTLY the right color for making Longhorn beads!!!

So...you just have to switch teams...then no color issues!!!

Hook'em Horns!!
I am a Longhorn! But my husband works with a lady who is an Aggie. This is totally killing me!!!!

Old 2009-04-09, 4:38pm
Lampworkaholic!

Original Cim Lipstick! I'm surprised no one has mentioned that. It's perfectly maroon. (And we are a house divided too, but it's between Longhorns and Raiders.)

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2009-04-09, 9:36pm

Default Here's the winner...

You will want to get "Unique Lipstick Red" by CiM. If possible, get a single rod from ur supplier to do a test bead. Flamekissed sales single rods if u want to check w/ them.
I would send u a picture of the bead I made w/ that color but I cant find it at the moment...(naturally). But yeah, Im sure this is the color u r wantin'.
-Lindsey
*I just read the post above mine from -erose and she said use the regular lipstick shade...I say go w/ the unique!!! he he.

Oh and I found a picture of the bead too so here it is. Its the base color.
Old 2009-04-09, 9:37pm

Damn, why are my pictures SOOOO HUGE???
Old 2009-04-09, 10:40pm
Corgi Cult Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeterbeader View Post
Damn, why are my pictures SOOOO HUGE???
Because it's easier to see the cute guy in the toilet!

Old 2009-04-09, 11:19pm
Cat Lady

Another vote for CiM Lipstick. I use the regular but I sometimes layer a transparent on it if I want to make it more red or more brown.

Dark topaz over Lipstick is nummy, but a little browner than you're probably looking for. Try Bordello, Sangre or another transparent red over Lipstick for a more burgundy color.
Old 2009-04-18, 8:20am
Dichro Addict

I tried all of the suggestions here of glass that I had and CIM Bordello was a winner!!! Somebody had gifted me a rod a long time ago and I hadn't used it. She was thrilled with the bead and asked for four more!! I'm not sure that's a good thing for me being the Longhorn that I am, but I will go ahead and make them.

Also, I thought this was funny. This is for her Pandora bracelet. As soon as she got the bead, she took it to the store at the Dallas Galleria and showed it to the clerks who sell the Pandora stuff. They loved it! Can you believe it? No nasty knockoff comments. They actually complimented the craftsmanship and said Pandora doesn't make anything like that. Yeah for the lampworker. Respect feels pretty good!!

Old 2009-04-18, 8:33am

I have a black cherry/deep burgundy color from Lauscha. It's transparent in the rod but goes translucent with heat. No one maker has this exact same color and it's beautiful. As are all of these colors here!
Paula