Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2009-04-16, 9:56am

Default How to tell the COE of unknown glass

Being the newbie that I am, I just bought a used shop setup that has about 6 or seven lbs of glass rod. The person I bought it from does not know the COE of the glass. Is there a way to tell as I have some other glass with a COE of 104 and don't want to mix COEs. That's a no-no I am told. Any help will be GREATLY appreciated Smithy
Old 2009-04-16, 10:09am
I fart diamonds

Not really. Some colors can be identified by sight, though. Do you have any black? If you do, pull a stringer and hold it up to the light. If it's really dark purple, not black, it's Effetre (Moretti) and the COE is 104. Based on our conversations, you most like received 104 with your setup, but it could be 90 (Bullseye). It's not likely that it's 96 or boro.

Can you post some photos of the rods?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2009-04-16, 10:20am
Lampworkaholic!

Make some small test beads with a known 104 glass and the unidentified glass. I like to use inexpensive 104 Vertofond or Effetre clear to encase the mystery color. If the glass isn't compatible (i.e., fractures), it probably isn't 104 (although not all 104s play 100%nicely, which is why I wouldn't use Lauscha or ASK clear). Repeat test with a known 96 or 90 combined with the mystery glass to narrow it down further if it isn't 104. Hope that helps.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2009-04-16, 10:49am

Take a rod of a know COE glass. As Erose suggested, use an inexpensive color. Heat the end of both the know glass and the unknown sample. Lay the hot end of one glass on top of the hot end of the other, like this:

Code:
known ==========
             ========== unknown
Fuse together *without twisting*, then pull into a thin stringer. Let cool.

If the stringer remains straight, the two glasses are "probably" the same COE. If the stringer curls up into a corkscrew, the two glasses are NOT the same COE.

Malcolm

Email:

Phone:+1.408.288.7978
Old 2009-04-16, 2:44pm
GlassDocNC

Cool idea, thanks for that one Malcolm!
Old 2009-04-16, 5:43pm

For that method you need to pull it of a certain length and take the middle 18" I believe. If that has a bend of a certain percentage (15% or was it measured in degrees?) it's incompatible. It means you need to be able to pull a good straight stringer ... lol.

Encased spacers also do the trick ... I had some unknown dichro I had to test and in the end I chose this method with careful notes.

Old 2009-04-16, 5:48pm
da General

Yes, for the stringer test, you need to pull to at least 18" and cut 6" off each end. Start with one end against a straight edge and see if it curves more than 1/4" at the other end or not. It doesn't need to curl up into a corkscrew for it to be incompatible.

In my experience, if it's more than 1/4", chances are it will crack.

Here is Arrow Springs' excellent instructions:
http://arrowsprings.com/html/stringe...patibilit.html

|
|
|
|
Old 2009-04-16, 7:14pm
Know-it-all Megalomaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldSmithy View Post
Being the newbie that I am, I just bought a used shop setup that has about 6 or seven lbs of glass rod. The person I bought it from does not know the COE of the glass. Is there a way to tell as I have some other glass with a COE of 104 and don't want to mix COEs. That's a no-no I am told. Any help will be GREATLY appreciated Smithy
Your safest bet? Assume that you're going to have 6 or seven pounds
of spacers. Not a bad thing, you'll always need spacers to go with focals.

Get your copy of the new Lampwork Etc. Tutorials and Tips Book

Old 2009-04-16, 7:42pm
picking Job's Tears

And, for newbies (I'm one myself), practicing spacers isn't exactly a bad thing.
-
-
-

Palms Etc. tropical seeds and cuttings:

HotHead on bulk propane and a Glasshive kiln
Old 2009-04-16, 8:05pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

How long are the rods? That might also be a clue. If they are 17" long, they are most likely BE. If you take a pic of some of them and post it along with the length, it's possible we might be able to help.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2009-04-17, 5:56am

You guys are great...thanks for all the knowledge...Smithy
Old 2009-04-17, 6:10am
Sorry for party rockin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen Hardy View Post
Your safest bet? Assume that you're going to have 6 or seven pounds
of spacers. Not a bad thing, you'll always need spacers to go with focals.

this is what I would do too!!

Old 2009-04-17, 6:21am

Quote:
Originally Posted by squid View Post
How long are the rods? That might also be a clue. If they are 17" long, they are most likely BE. If you take a pic of some of them and post it along with the length, it's possible we might be able to help.
That is true. Just as a counterpoint, ArrowSprings tends to cut in 17" lengths, so it could be 104 or 96 as well.

I started to suggest a picture of all the colors together, but that would only work if we knew the glass came from the same source. There really isn't any good way to know, is there? Sounds like there is 7 pounds of great practice glass.

Ginko Beads
Old 2009-04-17, 11:07pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginko View Post
That is true. Just as a counterpoint, ArrowSprings tends to cut in 17" lengths, so it could be 104 or 96 as well.

I started to suggest a picture of all the colors together, but that would only work if we knew the glass came from the same source. There really isn't any good way to know, is there? Sounds like there is 7 pounds of great practice glass.
Darn them - darn them to heck!

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2009-04-18, 4:57am

fuse each color to a piece of 104 clear and look at it through a polariscope...(just two pieces of polarized plastic or glass) you will see if there is any stress and you will know for sure...If stress is present do the same with a strip of 90 and 96 clear, and you will know exactly what you have...hope this helps