Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Closed Thread

Old 2011-06-17, 9:37pm

Thank you for posting so fast I can say mine definitely doesn't look like that. I'll post a pic of mine tomorrow when I go to my studio and maybe someone can help me see what it is!
Old 2011-06-17, 9:43pm

No problem! I am off to bed now its way past my bedtime lol.

Edited for spelling

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2011-06-17, 10:00pm

I was reading some of the gallery threads today and hey..Mountain Snail..you rock! I am a newbie times 2 compared to you! That butterknife is so gorgeous..and it has a goddess in the middle of it? Wow!Great work!
"

Old 2011-06-17, 10:07pm
Remember to keep smiling

Sonja love the beads and color combination. Lipstick pink is one of my fav colors I use it alot. Have you have much trouble with other OP colors bleeding/spreading not sure how to explain it for instance if I melt in the black it will spread or web instead of keeping a nice clean line.

SRA#P109
Old 2011-06-17, 10:35pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rareripes View Post
I was reading some of the gallery threads today and hey..Mountain Snail..you rock! I am a newbie times 2 compared to you! That butterknife is so gorgeous..and it has a goddess in the middle of it? Wow!Great work!
Wow, thank you so much! I took a class in October and lost most of my winter torching time due to the cold. I am torching several times a week now that it is summer.
Old 2011-06-18, 2:36am

You're welcome..also say your earrings and pendant just now..sooo pretty!
I lost all last year torching because of hand/wrist and arm surgery..and haven't been able to torch til just lately as my hubby is in the process of moving my studio from our city home to our summer retirement home.I spend 6 or 7 months here and we put a big new addition on to accomodate a nice large studio for me.Don't have shelves up yet and working out of boxes but bench and torch up and running
"

Last edited by Rareripes; 2011-06-18 at 2:40am.
Old 2011-06-18, 5:59am

Paula I have actually on some of them. For instance the turquoise and the dark brown together bleed really bad. Although this can be a seriously beautiful effect, it doesn't work so well for dots lol. Also the turquoise webs a lot like dark ivory does. You can see the webbing and crackling effect in these two beads. These beads don't have any of the dark brown, I used purple with these.

I've also had some trouble with the turquoise opaque cracking. The set I made with dk brown and turquoise and ivory had two out of three beads crack, but the only part that cracked was the turquoise. For instance, if I had layered dots of brown, ivory, turquoise, only the top dot of turquoise cracked. If I had a wide stripe like the above beads, only the part of the stripe that was cracked was the turquoise, even if another color was layered over it. The turquoise would crack under it and the top color would not crack. However, I have been told I tend to work this glass too hot and it can cause cracking issues also. (I do tend to work hot and fast, I am very impatient lol).

Old 2011-06-18, 6:02am

In this set you can see the saffron yellow and the green tend to bleed a bit also. Mind you, I like this effect alot and will use the fact that it spread a bit in future designs, since I really like to make organic beads. And the saffron yellow is fast becoming one of my favorite colors!

Old 2011-06-18, 6:49am
And silence is golden

Sonja, those tubular beads are gorgeous. I haven't seen any cracking of the turquoise beads that I made, and we all know that I obviously work hot! Could it be a reaction to the silvered ivory, or maybe it just doesn't play well with other colors? Whatever the case may be, they sure are pretty!

If anyone doesn't like their turquoise, I'll take it off your hands. Just PM me. Here is that pair of earrings that I made with it. No cracking yet, and they are well over a month old now, so maybe that glass just likes to solo it!

Old 2011-06-18, 7:13am

Sonja those tube beads are beautiful! Shrimp those earrings are fantastic! I have not had any problems with the turquoise either-but have only used it a couple times.
Old 2011-06-18, 7:32am
http://youtu.be/nGt9jAkWi

OMG, those beads are da bomb. Why don't I have any turquoise? I'm off to order some right now. I'll try to refrain from going to the press page again.

Vivian

-

Old 2011-06-18, 7:35am

Its quite possible that the turquoise just didn't like one of the other colors, since the plain turquoise set I did is fine as are the two beads I posted. Might have been the dark brown it didn't like since they both spread and bleed a bit.

Old 2011-06-18, 7:45am
sunscreen me baby

If it makes you feel any better, I was convinced it wasn't me for a long time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimp View Post
This grasshopper started lampworking about 9 or 10 years ago. One would think that I would have this perfected! However, I just switched over to an oxy/propane setup this past year. My project of making beads with every glass color that I have, required rapid work. I wasn't thinking about 'cool' flame at the time. Since my post where I showed pictures of the bubbly beads, I have remade them in a cool flame. I'll get them annealed over the weekend and show the results.

I can only say that I had regressed to "newbie" status. But fear not, the remakes are just fine, and there are some pleasant surprises with the Devardi glass. Still some bubblies, but not quite as much.

~

Old 2011-06-18, 7:48am
And silence is golden

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzyQ View Post
If it makes you feel any better, I was convinced it wasn't me for a long time
I hear ya Suzy! I was certain it was the glasses fault.!
Old 2011-06-18, 12:41pm

I received a shipment of Devardi glass yesterday and spent a couple of hours tonight trying out a few of the colours. I bought the Devardi because the colours looked amazing and not for the price because that's not a particular consideration and I wasn't disappointed in them at all. The rods were 'lumpy' and very thick in places, I was warned and expected that but I had no trouble at all managing with the glass, it was absolutely beautiful to work with, even the very thick rods went onto the mandrel beautifully and there was not one explosive crack and flying glass anywhere! I'm very new to this glass business. I've been melting it for about 6 months and I must have spent about $5,000 on glass and equipment!! I will certainly be buying more of the Devardi glass despite the high postage for getting these fantastic colours to Australia. I've read a few of the Devardi threads - Good Lord, you people take your opinions seriously don't you! : )

Last edited by selliott58@optusnet.com.a; 2011-06-18 at 12:42pm. Reason: I forgot to mention, I also bought a Devardi rod warmer and I use a Hot Head torch.
Old 2011-06-18, 2:12pm

Welcome to the addiction!
Old 2011-06-18, 6:30pm
Remember to keep smiling

Sonja, thank you for the info but I must say those are some beautiful beads the webbing looks awesome on them. I can see the bleeding on the saffron bead but it works well with the flow of colors in the set.

Montainsnail I had to go check out your goddess. I have a weakness for any type sculpting. You did a really awesome job on it.

Shrimp, love the earrings and the shape. The turquoise is a lovely color. I was never able to use it while on a HH. I was forever burning it and turning it red. Now on occasion I like to flash my critters just to get the red effect on the outline. Here is one I did sometime back it's not turquoise but it is a Davardi blue of some sort been to long ago for me to remember.
Name:  pic3671.jpg
Views: 1053
Size:  4.0 KB

SRA#P109
Old 2011-06-18, 6:32pm
And silence is golden

Paula thank you for the compliment. That is a pretty nice touch to your bunny there.
Old 2011-06-19, 6:47am
Hot Glass Neophyte

Gosh, gorgeous work everyone! I love seeing it. I hope to get some torch time in the next few days.
Old 2011-06-19, 6:48am
Hot Glass Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rareripes View Post
You're welcome..also say your earrings and pendant just now..sooo pretty!
I lost all last year torching because of hand/wrist and arm surgery..and haven't been able to torch til just lately as my hubby is in the process of moving my studio from our city home to our summer retirement home.I spend 6 or 7 months here and we put a big new addition on to accomodate a nice large studio for me.Don't have shelves up yet and working out of boxes but bench and torch up and running
Diana, I can only imagine what you have gone through. I can't remember - have you decided to try a mandrel spinner?
Old 2011-06-19, 1:07pm

Yes,Kristina..I did get one and I was making nice spacer beads.Anything larger seemed to get away from me.Think its because I don't have much strength in the fingers I can use.Plus..I had a senior moment one day and fitted up my mandrel into it and forgot to extend the brass holder and was torching right next to the rubber holder when i realized it..I had kinda messed it up a bit.I finally got it to spin again.It will work for spacers but is much slower turning now.i felt like a real jerk..lol..
"

Old 2011-06-19, 1:41pm
Hot Glass Neophyte

Poor Sweetie, I do things like that as well...

Just last week I was using a marble holder with the nylon twist-screw that holds the fingers together tight at the top, and I put it into my bead kiln - far enough to melt the nylon screw knob all over...

live and learn
Old 2011-06-19, 1:53pm

Yeah..as long as we live ,learn and still live..lol..I was bringing in a glass pkg from the front door not too long ago and I was so excited somehow I fell headfirst into a half wall..thought i broke my hip and my head too..lol..good thing I have a hard head.
"

Old 2011-06-19, 2:06pm
StudioMarcy

Ouch Diana!

Marcy Lamberson
Studio Marcy
Old 2011-06-19, 2:25pm

Lol,Marcy..we glass people are insane!
"

Old 2011-06-19, 3:54pm
Hot Glass Neophyte

Oh Diana, I'm sorry but I laughed, because it's something I would do! Hope you are alright!
Old 2011-06-21, 12:47pm
Hot Glass Neophyte

Default Devardi Pixie Dust

Hi Everyone, we made it back from our trip with minimal wear and tear, but 10 hours of driving each way is no fun at all!

Here is a closer look at those Pixie Dust rounds. You are right about needing to get a detail shot to see Pixie Dust better.

I used all kinds of Devardi Pixie Dust colors, and all kinds of Devardi glass colors, both opaque, transparent and semi opaque. I can't remember if the pink one on my little finger was the semi opaque plum pink, or effetre Bubble Gum. I will have to make it again. I did make one pink in the effetre Bubble Gum and liked the look.
Old 2011-06-21, 1:11pm
StudioMarcy

great photo Kristina. thanks! I will need to get mine out and play with them.

Marcy Lamberson
Studio Marcy
Old 2011-06-21, 1:13pm

Those are pretty! I bought some but have not played with it either.
Old 2011-06-21, 1:38pm
Hot Glass Neophyte

Default Pixie Dust Bracelet

Thank you! I gave this bracelet away and now I am wanting one again. It goes with everything... maybe I can get more made and do another. I wonder how it would look with gold color spacers - wait, duh! My necklace has them
Closed Thread

Tags
devardi