No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2006-12-20, 5:01am
sunscreen me baby

Default Bullseye Special Production Lustre Copper Green

It came out with all the lustres and was not made a production color. Anyone love it? I finally tried to do something with mine. Interesting color if you don't reduce it, kind of an earthy copper green that gets opaque in the kiln even if it looks partially transparant. I had a heck of time getting it to reduce and couldn't get it done evenly. Tricks? Examples? Ideas on what to do with the rest of my pound other than covet it? Thanks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2006-12-20, 7:07am

Click here to see all 94 colors of Bullseye rods.
New Bullseye Rod Colors
With 12 new streaky, lustre, transparent, and opal styles, we now offer 94 colors for flameworking.
NEW LUSTRES

1707-76 GREEN LUSTRE
$67.40 per lb

1717-76 COPPER GREEN LUSTRE
$67.40 per lb

Lustre rods are not part of the Tested Bullseye Compatible line for kilnforming and are formulated solely for flameworking with Bullseye Hot Rodz. Not recommended for kilnforming.

According to their website, it was one of the 12 most recent additions to their regular line, along with green lustre.

No advice though, sorry.
Old 2006-12-20, 7:15am

gorgeous color, i didn't have any problem reducing, i do turn the oxygen off on the torch for a few seconds, and that was it.

Old 2006-12-20, 7:51am
sunscreen me baby

Lainee, can you show me an example? Just so I know there is something wonderful to strive for?

Soooo it is a production color. It must be the brandy and urnanium yellow that didn't make the cut. I actually love the brandy. Figures, lol.

~

Old 2006-12-20, 7:52am
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

yeah, those two didn't make it into production.
Old 2006-12-20, 9:53am
one day at a time

Any pictures of this copper green? Sounds nice!
Old 2006-12-20, 11:06am
Looking for my waistline

I think the reason it's not recommended for kiln forming is because of the difficulty in creating a reduction environment in your kiln. You actaully can reduce the glass in a kiln, but I don't know what it does to your kiln environment after you do it.

You just take some activated charcoal granuals (like you stick in your fish tank filter) and cover your piece with a stainless steel bowl. The charcoal burns off and creates a reduction environment under the bowl. Just don't get the charcoal near your piece. Leave enough room between the charcoal and the glass so the glass doesn't spread over the charcoal bits.

For more cool fusing tips go to www.warmglass.com ! That's where I found this yummy tidbit of info.

Char
Old 2006-12-20, 11:55am
sunscreen me baby

Here it is without reduction.
Attached Images

~

Old 2006-12-20, 5:24pm
& your rubino rod too!

Suzy,
I just turn down my O2 and pass the glass through the flame as close to the torch as my nerve will allow. A quick pass adds some mirrored highlights over that great green, longer completely mirrors over. I like the opaque affect you got better! I'd just try a one time through pass in the needles of your flame after pressing to see if you can get a partial mirror on the raised part of the work.
Dana
Old 2006-12-20, 5:34pm
one day at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzyQ View Post
Here it is without reduction.
mmm nice! looks like jade!
Old 2006-12-20, 5:40pm
sunscreen me baby

Thanks, I'll try that tomorrow.

~

Old 2006-12-20, 11:29pm
Corgi Cult Member

Some of the small beads were made with BE green luster in this necklace. I tried to point out a few of them so you could see the different levels of reduction I got. I've only used this glass a couple times and haven't been able to get a consistent reduction even when making several beads at a time. I really like the ones that are part reduction, part green. It wasn't what I was trying to achieve when I started making them, but after seeing the effect I made more. Seems like too much gas turns the mirror to a muddy color. To much oxy and it's green again. Really like your beads as a solid green! It is a pretty color without any reduction.

Old 2006-12-21, 12:20am

I don't have any pix but it was the easiest lustre for me to use with an even lovely shiny copper surface. I like it.
Old 2006-12-21, 4:45am
sunscreen me baby

OK, so I'm not doing something right. I'll try again today and go as close to the propane as I dare. Heck, maybe I'll 'try' to scorch it and see if I can get a good shimmer. All I got was a cloudy outside.

~

Old 2006-12-21, 8:45am
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

I love those beads you did though Suzy - very pretty!
Old 2006-12-21, 8:50am
sunscreen me baby

Aw, thanks

~