Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2006-12-20, 2:44pm

Question Irregular fuel regulator

I had a peculiar experience with my torch flame today. I was fine all morning and then suddenly my flame became irregular. Every twenty seconds my flame became very big for just a second and went back to normal size. I never had this experience, so I was alarmed and checked all the connections. I even used soapy water to check if I could see any bubbles. Nothing. Then, I noticed that every time the flame went up my fuel regulartor was going up as well. So, it seems that the regulator is mulfuntioning. My regulator is about a year old. Can anybody advise me on this? I can wait till after the holiday. Thank you!! Sachiko L.
Old 2006-12-20, 3:12pm
PyronamixK

I posted my response on the duplicate thread, but I'll post here, too.

Where is your tank? Cold weather can affect a regulator and make it fluctuate. Try bumping up the pressure at the regulator and see if that helps.
Old 2006-12-20, 7:07pm

Thanks Kbinkster. I do store my 10lb. tank outside, but brings it inside the basement studio when I work. That means the tank is pretty much at the room temp. Besides, it was running OK in the morning and started to act out in the afternoon, which is odd. I would definately bump up the pressure a bit tomorrow and try it out. Thanks for your idea. Sachiko L.
Old 2006-12-20, 8:12pm
What, Me Worry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SL Beads View Post
... brings it inside the basement studio when I work. ....
Sachiko... be cautious.

Kimberly is most likely right -- she usually is... it is probably just a tempermental regulator.

It could also be nothing more than the tank valve not being open all the way, and the propane creating a 'frost' in the regulator after extended use.

Or... it could be the early signs of a regulator rubber diaphram failure. Do you smell any propane at the regulator? If yes... the regulator could be leaking internally... not at the connection fittings, but inside.

If the diaphram fails, then the propane will vent through the regulator's pressure relief hole(s)... possibly uncontrolled. If that happens you must be prepared to immediately close the tank valve at the first sound/smell of trouble. Still, it could happen so quickly that there may not be time to close the tank valve before a fire begins at the regulator. If a fire begins, it must be put out immediately. Be absolutely certain a working fire extinguisher is readily at hand and you know how to use it.

This potential problem is one reason why it is recommended that a fuel tank should always be kept outside... even when in use. Regulators do vent and they do fail. Outside, they simply vent to the atmosphere... but inside the propane can build quickly to a flammable concentration.

Here's a picture of a plumbing van after just one 1# disposable canister leaked, and the 12VDC electronic door lock set off a fire/explosion.
NOTE: This is a large pdf file... you will need a high speed internet line to download it in a 'reasonable' amount of time, and Adobe Reader to view it.
http://www.testsafe.com.au/latest_ne..._explosion.pdf

Me
Old 2006-12-22, 7:09am

Smile Irregular Fuel Regulator

Thanks kbinkster and bhhco. Yesterday I went back to my studio and found my regulator working just fine and no more irregular torch flame either. I did bump up the fuel gauge though as one of you suggested. I hope my trouble is over forever. I will make sure to open the tank all the way and watch the smell as well. Many many thanks for your taking time to guide me. Sachiko L.