No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2006-12-22, 1:13am
Leda

Question Cutting Murrine Chips; Help!

I love using Murrine and was reading the thread about how to set the chips. My question is similar; I am having trouble cutting the chip "slices" so that they are not too thick and also so that they aren't all crooked and slanted or with little edges sticking up. I am using the Corina nipper; which I like because the cutting edges come really close together. I just am not having any luck with cutting the slices thinly or evenly enough. Any suggestions? Thanks so much for your help!

LC
Old 2006-12-22, 7:29am
Life is change. Love it

I hate my Corina Nipper, in my opinion it's a piece of crap, the edges don't align properly and that's probably why you are getting slanting cuts. You may want to try using a different tool.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2006-12-23, 12:04am
Hopeless glass addict!

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolyn M View Post
I hate my Corina Nipper, in my opinion it's a piece of crap, the edges don't align properly and that's probably why you are getting slanting cuts. You may want to try using a different tool.
Carolyn, do you have any recommendations for a good tool to use and where we might find one? I want to get one someday and knowing what...or what not to get would be really helpful.

~Mendy

Happiness is roasting glass with your best friend!

Old 2006-12-23, 3:11am
Leda

Hi Carolyn;
Thx for the info; ditto on asking about a good tool. My "regular" nippers give me problems because the blades have a gap between them that is larger than the murrine cane. Do you know of a good tool for this? Thx for your help!

LC
Old 2006-12-23, 7:33pm
Cheesehead Packer lover

O.K. I have two words for you. Heritage Glass. I bought the absolute best murrini nippers from them. They are super nice, and ship really fast. I bought one for my sister for Christmas (I hope she's not reading this).
They are the ones with the wheels, and the slices can be cut really small if you want to. Check it out.

Cherie
Sisters Beads
If you can't be kind, at least have the decency to be vague
Old 2006-12-23, 8:22pm
Leda

Talking Nippers

Hi Cherie!

Thank you, thank you, thank you! I'm going to order from them right now! I can't believe it; but I order from the all the time, and I somehow never focused on the glass nippers. Thx so much!

Leda
Old 2006-12-23, 9:43pm

Hi there this link may help Mavis has a tip on her site.

http://www.beadsbymavis.com/mm5/merc...gory_Code=Tips

Etsy

My Flickr

Old 2006-12-24, 8:37am
Life is change. Love it

Sorry, I forgot to come back to this thread. I would second the Heritage Glass nippers.

Old 2006-12-24, 10:01am
Leda

Old 2006-12-24, 10:03am
Leda

Default Nippers

Thank you thank you thank you!!!!

Leda