Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2006-12-13, 9:15pm
Smooches!

Question Iris Violet Reduction Frit

Hi all,
recently bought some iris violet reduction frit. Used it for the first time tonight, on a base soft violet - flashed through a reducing flame.

Just pulled from the kiln - BLECHHHH. Just looks like black spots on the bead.

Any hints anyone?

Thanks,
Miss Kate

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
cocktail napkins available at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Now running my Cheetah on 2 Regalia's - pure heaven!

Old 2006-12-14, 2:15am
The Forgetful Beadmaker

Some of the reduction colors are so rich that they need to be used sparingly. I have my best luck appling them as stringer rather than chunks of frit. Ruby Red is the same way. Just looks black unless I thin it out as stringer with lots of clear.
Old 2006-12-14, 9:55am
Missing presumed fed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Kate View Post
Any hints anyone?
Yeah. Use something else. I'm partial to the silver blues myself.

(I never got decent results with any reduction frit with purple, violet, or lavender in its name.)
Old 2006-12-14, 5:07pm
Smooches!

Thanks for the advice! Will try the thin & out & make stringers.

Old 2006-12-15, 9:04am

Hello Miss Kate,
maybe the colors needs a reduced flame, without so much oxygen but with much gas. Try and play with the two contents, you will find the perfect way. Good luck,
glass-diary
Old 2006-12-15, 9:21am
Hopeless glass addict!

This stuff looks good if you don't reduce it on some colors. It makes a cool oil-slick looking sheen for spacer beads. I use a base of non-reactive colors like cobalt and white, roll well in frit, then lightly reduce until I see the result I want. Violets have never behaved well in a reduction flame for me. If you want to use a violet base, try using the frit without reducing it. Or if you want a reduction-like effect, use the Moretti Silver Plums (light &/or dark) on the violet and oxydize your flame to bring out the sheen in the Silver Plum. I love the Iris Violet on Lauscha Tri-Shade Peachy Pink. I don't reduce it, though. The result is a beautiful coffee & cream look. Iris Violet seems to be highly reactive even without reducing it, so I stay away from fussy base colors. Don't give up, though! Experiment with it! It never ceases to surprise me, and I really love the stuff!

~Mendy

Happiness is roasting glass with your best friend!

Old 2006-12-16, 7:48pm
Smooches!

Very interesting! Thanks folks, I'll try it again.

Miss Kate

Old 2006-12-24, 9:43pm
Smooches!

Tried to use that iris violet reduction frit again. Thinned it out with Lauscha clear & pulled stringer. Still too much frit apparently, as it stull looks like Yuck!

Think I'll just put it away for a while, and maybe (big MAYBE) try it again later.

Miss Kate