Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2006-07-19, 10:13am

Default Yet another Natural Gas Question

Hi Guys, I'm still new here, and have been searching and reading anything I can find on Natural Gas Set ups. I have a lynx and called GTT, they told me it could run off 2psi (which is more than our house pressure which I assume is 1/4-1/2 psi from what I've read is the norm) I know I have two options, 1. Throw a booster on the line and a regulator on all our other appliance to bring them back down to normal pressure or 2. Get a new line to the house at the right presuure that will be used just for my torch.

Now heres the question...When I talked to the gas company they don't know what I'm talking about. They state that the Natural Gas is measured in Inches of Water Columns. When you talk about PSI are you using a conversion rate? Or are you just using the inches of water columns number with a psi over it?

Sorry if this has been asked before. I couldn't find a reference. I am so confused.

Thanks,
Lauren
Old 2006-07-19, 10:28am

I was told there are 16 inches in a pound (i hope my terminology is right) so 1/4 = 4 inches

it took awhile for me and the gas guy to come close to the same language!
:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

--------------
Make Beads:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

--------------

Do you make purple hearts? Let me know in your order and I'll send you free purple glass!
Old 2006-07-19, 8:09pm
Corgi Cult Member

Lauren, years ago we installed a NG line for my Lynx. I was so dissappointed when it wouldn't run it. My husband and I decided the cheapest fix was to install a second line that runs to a propane tank outside the house. Would be nice to not worry about refilling the propane tank but the other options to use NG with that torch sounded more expensive.
Kathy
Old 2006-07-20, 8:57pm

Thanks for the info. It's looking like I might have to "down-grade" from a lynx to something smaller that will run on less pressure. I was taught on a Lynx and Bobcat and will hate to go to a different torch, but the Betta by Bethlaham (sp?) is rumored to run off regular pressure natural gas found in a residence. I'd rather not, but it just seems like it's going to be very expensive, I can't think of any other way
Old 2006-07-22, 3:33pm
It's all about art.

It was my understanding that a Bobcat will run on natural gas. I have a Lynx too but when I went to NG I bought a MiniCC and wish I had bought a Bobcat. I think it is nearer to a Lynx than anything else you might find.

Barbara

Old 2006-07-24, 5:13pm

The studio where I work runs bobcats on natural gas. They're in an industrial area, and have extra pressure, but they also run 7 torches at once.
Old 2006-07-24, 9:27pm
Gentleman of Leisure

1 pound/square inch = 27.679 904 843 inch of water [4 °C]

http://www.onlineconversion.com/pressure.htm

The correct translation for WC (Water Column) to PSI ( Pounds per Square Inch)

1/4 PSI is 7 inches Water Column.
1/2 PSI is 14 inches WC.
1 PSI is 28 inches WC.

So if you want 2 PSI it converts to roughly 56 inches WC ....

Actually...

2 pound/square inch = 55.359 809 685 inch of water [4 °C]

Here is another solution....

http://www.gas-tec.com/applications.html

http://www.gas-tec.com/images/PDFs/glass_1.pdf

You can run this on TORCH line only!... But its about $1000....

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal

Last edited by Dale M.; 2006-07-24 at 9:37pm.
Old 2006-12-12, 8:47pm
Newfoundland lover!

Hi Lauren
I know that you posted this a few months ago, but I am curious as to what you ended up doing. I am on the South shore- same state and same dilema!

My hubby hooked me up to NG but the psi is way too low & when he called Keyspan, our gas co., they didn't know what we were talking about, as well.

I have a Firebird by Wale, which is small and just a step up from the minors so I don't think going smaller is going to help me. I could barely get my little blue cones to 1/8 inch!!! I am thinking about going to G-tec for the booster, but whewww the price is not easily justified in my case.
Thanks!
Merilee
Old 2006-12-13, 10:46am
Missing presumed fed

You'd want to call GTT to be certain, but I think a Bobcat will run off residential gas pressure. I believe the whole point of the Betta was that it was designed to operate on lower gas pressures. If you want to stick with your Lynx, though, your options are to persuade your gas company to increase your pressure (which people reportedly have succeeded in doing, sometimes, although I bet it hasn't been easy), spring for the gas booster, which is at least $1,000, or use propane.

You might want to check over on WetCanvas for posts about which torches operate well on residential gas pressure. I just did a little bit of searching over on the ISGB forum and found a couple of posts about the Bobcat suggesting that it did, but nothing very informative, and a mention or two of the Betta, but just inquiries without information. For what it's worth, when I bought my Bethlehem Bead Burner (which was the model that was replaced by the Pirahna), Beth told me that it would operate on residental NG pressure. I never got around to hooking it up to the gas, though, and now I've been seduced by a Lynx so I'm totally out of luck on the NG.
Old 2006-12-13, 11:40am
PyronamixK

The Bobcat will run quite nicely on NG at household pressure (around 1/4 psi).
Old 2006-12-13, 7:16pm
FireDancer Glass

My bobcat runs on NG and I have had no problems with it. I am very happy with it! I had to go thru a welding company, not natural gas. NG had no idea what I was talking about! But the welding company had worked with lampworkers before and was very helpful. NG company wouldn't even come out. Since I was allready hooked up when the house was built they sent me over to the welders.
good luck
Christy
www.firedancerjewelry.com
Old 2006-12-13, 7:30pm

I run natural gas at household pressure with my mini-cc and love it!

Carlisle

Joyce

- No auctions right now.

Last edited by JoyasdelSol; 2006-12-13 at 8:11pm.
Old 2006-12-13, 9:11pm
Newfoundland lover!

Emily, Kbinkster(kimberely?), Joyce & Christy
thanks!!!
Seems like a Bobcat or minor would be the way to go. It would be a lot cheaper than to get a Booster-tho I did speak to some really helpful people at G-tec and will keep that as a serious option.

Strange(to me ) update... My hubby & I found that if the heat isn't on that I can get a decent flame. So things may just work if I keep the heat low while at the torch. Yes it can get real cold here, but it would only be for a few more months and there is a sep heat in the part of the house where the torch is in.
I can't say how much I appreciate the help you gave me ,Gals, and for all the things I learn on here!!!!
Merilee
Old 2006-12-14, 7:40am
Always with a smile!

I have a booster and love it, if you become as "addicted" as the rest of us (speaking for myself and those I know), eventually you will want/need the higher pressure. I've not been disappointed in my g-tec booster.

) and
)
Old 2006-12-14, 12:39pm
Newfoundland lover!

Oh Jill
I am SO addicted, too!- and I really don't make much from my stuff yet. But It is a passion/hobby I am keeping around for the long haul!!!!
Heck maybe I save for another torch and a booster- I rather give up most luxuries just to do my creative passions!
My next conquest is to figure out how to upload pictures of my beads to show- one of my programs conflicts with others so I jsut give up and go make beads!

Thanks
Merilee
Old 2006-12-14, 1:30pm
Gentleman of Leisure

Quote:
Originally Posted by merigypsy View Post
.... update... My hubby & I found that if the heat isn't on that I can get a decent flame.
This would indicate that either supply pressure from utility company is not adequate or the plumbing in your place is to small and can not handle the volume of fuel required for heating and torch at same time....

Adding a booster may NOT be a solution, if NG system in your home or utility company can not supply enough volume now it is going to really be a stretch when you kick on NG booster and system is required to supply 4 to 8 times the gas volume it is now supplying...

Suggest you investigate going to (or back to) tanked fuel such as propane...

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2006-12-14, 9:04pm
Newfoundland lover!

Thanks Dale!
I hope I am wrong about this, because I really don't want to have to go back to tanks...But I will do what I have to to torch!
But again thanks
Merilee
Old 2006-12-19, 10:04am

Sorry it took so long for me to reply. I ended up going with the Betta. It was just to much of a hassle and where I am living is not permanant. I will be here for about a year longer so I did not want to invest to much into this location. I have loved the Betta so far. I'm glad I went for it, the hassle of the gas company just seemed like it was to much to deal with. I do miss my Lynx, but I kept it for later...you never know what will happen, I've learned to never return any form of art or craft supplies. Good luck with everything, I know I've caught the bug and spend every extra minute I have in the studio...I'm sure you feel the same!

Lauren
Old 2006-12-20, 2:27pm

so how did you hook up the betta to your household gas?
Old 2006-12-21, 11:44am

Very Simple. I called a plummer and he put a T connector into our gas line with a shut off valve. He then ran that over to my torch. At my torch he put another shut off valve (make sure it's a heavy duty one because you will be shuting it on and off everytime you use your torch...that's a lot more than a normal shut off valve is use to). At the end, I had him put a graduated cap on (no idea if that is the correct title) but it looks the same as what is on the torch to connect the hoses to.
I hope I explained that right. Let me know if you have any more questions. I can post pictures if you'd like me to. Just let me know.

Lauren