The Flow

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2006-12-17, 2:19pm
It dazzles, it sparkles

Default Inset eyes

Hi Guys

I have seen some gorgeous sculptural beads around that have inset eyes like they have been poked.

I have tried this myself but just keep getting a mushed mess.

Any advice?

Thanks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2006-12-17, 2:36pm

Are you talking about something like an encased bubble?

Renee
Blue Moon Glass Studio
GTT Phantom & 2-Integra 10's

Old 2006-12-17, 2:41pm
It dazzles, it sparkles

no
I shall try and find a picture

Old 2006-12-17, 2:45pm
It dazzles, it sparkles

http://www.moonrakerbeads.com/specials/snowmen.jpg

Old 2006-12-17, 3:25pm

Ah ha! While I've not made eyes like that, it appears that they have spot-heated the area for the eye and poked it, similarly as making an encased bubble, and then with a skinny stringer, placed a dot of black down in the "hole". Make sense?

Renee
Blue Moon Glass Studio
GTT Phantom & 2-Integra 10's

Old 2006-12-17, 4:47pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

what I do to make that kind of eye is lightly pre-poke with my tweezers and then spot heat and insert the stringer into the hole. It's the same principal as when you poke and twist without the twist. When it cools, wiggle it and it will break. When you lightly heat it back up, it will smooth the little piece you left in the hole.
Old 2006-12-17, 5:16pm
Who me?

Actually, it's easier to do this if you have a blunt poker instead of a sharp poker. That way you have a bottom to the hole to place your place stringer dot on and let it melt out to the sides of the hole. If you just put a stringer in a sharp poked hole, it tends to bleed out around the edges instead of staying at the bottom of the hole. Hope this make sense.
Old 2006-12-17, 5:26pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

I agree - the tweezers I use leave a "bottom" on to which I put the stringer.
Old 2006-12-17, 9:40pm
rainbowchasingtimewaster

Take a short stringer of black, not too thin but not too thick, and make sure the end is cut, not melted off.

Tighten up your flame so you can heat a small, localized spot.

Spot heat your base bead, right where you want the eye to be - it works best on a soft glass like ivory or white - and poke the black stringer deep into the middle of where you spot heated the base glass.

Hold the black stringer still while the base firms up. You can blow on it to speed the process up.

Break the black stringer off by just snapping it off. One quick motion works best.

Repeat for the next eye.

Lori Peterson - Try telling a Dachshund no and you will understand the true meaning of futility.

*f

Old 2006-12-18, 5:01am
Who me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by loribeads View Post
Take a short stringer of black, not too thin but not too thick, and make sure the end is cut, not melted off.

Tighten up your flame so you can heat a small, localized spot.

Spot heat your base bead, right where you want the eye to be - it works best on a soft glass like ivory or white - and poke the black stringer deep into the middle of where you spot heated the base glass.

Hold the black stringer still while the base firms up. You can blow on it to speed the process up.

Break the black stringer off by just snapping it off. One quick motion works best.

Repeat for the next eye.
Cool, Lori - all in one step.
Old 2006-12-18, 6:21am
Detail G-Mama!

Yep, what Lori said!

Old 2006-12-18, 9:08am
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

yep - the one step way is great, if you can get them even. I do the tweezers indentation so my eyes are even Otherwise they have one eye up on the side of the head!
Old 2006-12-21, 3:21pm
It dazzles, it sparkles

he he he thanks guys

Old 2006-12-21, 9:46pm

I use a tungsten pick to poke the hole. I lift up slightly for a subtle brow. I have another thin tungsten pick that I have heated and bent the tip into a tiny fish hook shape, very small, just enough to catch glass. I use it to rake the eye opening slightly left and right to make it more eye-like.

I take a thin hot stringer and poke it into the slightly heated hole, break it off and melt it into a ball. If you have the right amount of glass is will ball up into the opening and be the right size.

Steve

Old 2006-12-22, 7:02am
Always with a smile!

I use a variety of brass punches, dif sizes to create the indentation and then add the black stringer, cut on the end. You have to be careful about timing, if you're not,you'll end up melting it in

) and
)