Lampwork Etc.

Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2010-09-20, 2:32pm

I have a couple different light tents, but believe it or not the best thing I have found is the gallon milk jug with just a couple lights....maybe not the best but sure simple and cheap. Still some glare, but acceptable for what I need. I tried to upload a plain image...no croping or adjusting we'll see if it worked.
Attached Images

Old 2010-09-20, 3:03pm

have you tried a light defusser ? (?) i have used an old men's hankerchief. This is a trick my husband taught me a long time ago. Just hang a clean white cloth over the flood light holder. It cuts the glare from your lights just enough. Makes it a very soft light. I also use a golf umbrella that has some white panels when I am shooting outdoors in the morning sun. I would post some pictures but haven't taken time to master that yet!

Della A
Old 2010-09-20, 9:29pm

Brent, try a different background. The black is absorbing all the light and making your image look flat. White is very hard to shoot on also with glass, it tends to wash out the colors. As for the glare spot, get the shot all ready and move a piece of white paper around until it blocks that glare spot. It takes some playing around but you can block it without casting any shadows.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Jami; 2010-09-20 at 9:32pm.
Old 2010-09-21, 5:05am
Mary Lockwood

Sorry I bailed. I went and took the pictures, was editing them and my pc took a major dump. I haven't been able to get operational again til just now!

Anyway, the more I thought about it the more I figured my solution wasn't going to fix anything anyway until you get the glare out of your shots.

I use those cheap clamp lights like Cosmo has, with 100 watt reveal bulbs. My light tent is a white plastic grocery sack and if I'm photographing something difficult and prone to glare- I tape white coffee filters over the fronts of the clamp lights. The domed shape of the coffee filters keep it from touching the bulbs while they completely block out the harsh light but let the brightness through.

Don't leave them unattended, those bulbs get really hot.

Please don't judge this picture by the pendant...it was one of my first ever implosions. Just notice the absence of glare...that was the coffee filters at work. Before I put them on I was still catching a sharp glare on the dome.

Here is a different one, without the coffee filters.

Worth a try. I'm sure you have plenty of coffee filters. LOL

~~Mary

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2010-09-21, 5:07am
Hobby Junkie

Thanks for the coffee filter tip Mary!!!!

Old 2010-09-21, 5:11am
Mary Lockwood

You're welcome! I'm still watching this thread to see if there is any genius solution. Mine is kind of Red Green in spirit. LOL

Old 2010-09-21, 7:10am
Pyromaniac

Nice tip on lengthening the exposure rather than amping up the lights. A lot of people wouldn't think of that...Including me! Now where's my tripod...

Fortune Cookie say, "When things go wrong, don't go with them!"

Current Glass-Melting Apparatus:
GTT Lynx powered by 2 5 LPM Oxycons and
a sexy Barracuda running pure tanked Oxy
Old 2010-09-21, 11:34am
Enjoying Life

Coffee filter... gotta try that.

Old 2010-09-21, 12:53pm
Fire and Fluidity

Longer exposure time also gets you better depth of field. Larger f-stop number requires more exposure time but gives deeper area in focus.

"It all depends on how you look at things" said the Churkendoose.

Old 2010-09-21, 2:14pm
Type ZZZ personality

I second the idea of changing out the backdrop to a neutral grey. The black sucks out all the light.

And I LOVE the coffee filter idea!

Lynx with 2 5-lpm oxycons
Old 2010-09-25, 4:22am
boro color bender

I'm shopping for a new camera and it's sucking the light out of me!!!!!!!!!!

Review after review after review...

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2010-09-25, 4:33am
ManBearPig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Smiley View Post
I'm shopping for a new camera and it's sucking the light out of me!!!!!!!!!!

Review after review after review...
It's not the camera. It's knowing how to use it.

I've seen great pictures from a $99 point and shoot camera, and I've seen crappy pictures from a Canon 1-D (which cost more than my car).

Once you get the right amount and type of light, your battle is 90% done.

Aside from the extra glare in your photos, I think you are almost there with what you have now.

Old 2010-09-25, 7:50am
Mary Lockwood

I do agree with Cosmo about the camera. I got pictures from my crappy 2megapixel old sony that were better than my husband gets with his Rebel.

Old 2010-09-25, 9:40am

I have that same camera and find if I take the picture outside and no flash out of the direct sun it looks much better.. Love that camera
Attached Images

Old 2010-09-25, 7:22pm
boro color bender

The camera just doesn't offer control over exposure... and when it sets it for an auto slower shutter speed, it's really grainy... it's time for a new camera... trust me... this dinosaur is about to bleep off for it's last time soon any way...

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley

Last edited by Mr. Smiley; 2010-09-25 at 9:24pm.
Old 2010-09-26, 7:16am
Definitely having fun

Default glare

Hey Cosmo,

That is the trick that works for me. I set a longer exposure and much lower lighting level then one would expect to use.

Once the photos are taken, I then use 'levels' in photoshop to set my absolute black and white in the shot, and bump up the colors and contrast a bit until the colors look natural.

Chris
Old 2010-09-26, 12:27pm
Pyromaniac

Canon. Even the point and shoot digitals take great photos.

Sexy Barracuda and Mirage

Old 2010-10-01, 7:36am
boro color bender

New camera with more control... still got a long way to go, but the glare is oh so much better! Feedback is much appreciated...

Old 2010-10-01, 7:40am
Hobby Junkie

The color really pops on that one Brent! Much better

Old 2010-10-01, 8:11pm

At AGI 2010, Robert Mickelson gave photo talk. He said to use small aperature to get depth of field, use lightbox with 3 lights, 2 side one top, use tripod always with slow shutter speed, use tungsten or flourescent lighting. He said NOT to take pictures in the sun, which I have done. He said every photo you should take, your goal should be to have it on the cover of glassline or other publication. I looking at lights and tents on ebay. I take my photos outside in the sun w/macro, yes I have glare.
Old 2010-10-01, 9:45pm
Happy in AZ

If you change from the black background I won't know it is your pendant! You have created a beautiful "look" with you photography. We all know your work, but the black backround helps to know it is your work instantly. Your colors glow and I don't care if I can't see the edges of the clear glass!

Old 2010-10-02, 4:33am
boro color bender

Thank you Nancy... i was chatting with a friend yesterday and we talked about that... I am just not feeling the gray... i like black... I think I'm going back... not totally ruling out others, but black is kinda my thing. I may also be taking a photography class here locally... will definitely keep this thread updated with my progress. I love the new camera so far... haven't seen if it captures the "pink" yet... maybe today.

Old 2010-10-02, 11:03am

Those are great pics Brent. What kind of camera did you end up with?

Old 2010-10-02, 12:33pm
boro color bender

A Canon Powershot... not the tiny one. It's a 12 megapixel with a larger lens and 14x optical zoom... so far, so good. Gonna use it in a bit to take some Homecoming pictures... it's Ian's senior year and he's getting all gussied up tonight.

Old 2010-10-02, 12:54pm

Hey thats a great camera! You will love that and get YEARS of use of it. I've had 2 canon Rebels 35mm and now have the Rebel XTI SLR and I love it. I'm still learning new things I can do with it. This thread helped too!
Check your PM's I'm sending you one.
Congrats to Ian.. doesnt seem like he should be graduating! Just wait the years are just starting to fly for you and before you know it they will all be out of the nest. You will look around and think WTH just happened! EMPTY NEST SUCKS!

Old 2010-10-02, 4:16pm

Brent,

I had the same problem for some time until I found a solution for it. It's not 100% perfect but much better - see for yourself:

The trick here is to use a spot light source with a circular polarizing filter in front of it and also the same type of filter in front of your lens. Now since the light is polarized which hits the glass object surface you can remove the unwanted glare by adjusting both filters without disturbing the light on other sections of the object. This does not work with only one filter infront of the lens....

In my case the spot light is not strong enough so it has to be quite close to the object - once I have removed the glare you can still see the reflection of it on the glass surface. I might upgrade to a stronger spot light and move it away a bit.

Cheers,
Michael

Old 2010-10-02, 6:00pm
boro color bender

That's beautiful Michael! Thanks for sharing that tip... I'll give it a shot.

Old 2010-10-04, 8:53pm
Gay rights R human rights

http://www.learnmyshot.com/How-To-Ph...-Round-Objects

Very interesting study on light and reflection.

bravo torch with 2 ex20's
Old 2010-10-05, 5:31am

I hope you don't mind, but i took my cheapie little editing program and hit two ckicks of sharpen and two clicks of contrast. See what you think.

samma

Old 2010-10-06, 9:14am
boro color bender

black fabric on sides... top open to bare light...