Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2013-05-17, 2:36pm

Default didymium glasses

Hi, I think you can get safety glasses to go over your regular glasses. I am a newbie too. I have a pair of safety glasses from a glass company, but I am not sure if they are didymium. How can I tell? I am doing a class at Bead & Button & need didymium glasses. Where in Canada can I get didymium glasses if the ones I have are not didymium

Thanks for your help.
Old 2013-05-17, 5:16pm
Gentleman of Leisure

Gads really old thread, most data in thread is out of date....

Didymuim's are no longer available, there was one German glass company that made Didymium glass and they no longer produce it....

The replacement glass is ACE 202..... Any quality glass/tools retailer should have them...

This might a place to start your search as to what may be available...

http://www.phillips-safety.com/glass...g-eyewear.html

Dale

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal

Last edited by Dale M.; 2013-05-17 at 5:18pm.
Old 2013-05-17, 6:03pm
sorcerer

it doesn't matter what they call them they are still Didymium glasses, with perhaps another colour filter added.
B

Old 2013-05-17, 7:08pm

Thank you.
Old 2013-05-17, 7:24pm
Gentleman of Leisure

Quote:
Originally Posted by castaway View Post
it doesn't matter what they call them they are still Didymium glasses, with perhaps another colour filter added.
B

Technically NO........

Different glass composition completely....

Dale

Old 2013-05-17, 7:35pm
sorcerer

Interesting, could you post the composition?
B

Old 2013-05-21, 6:48am
Gentleman of Leisure

Quote:
Originally Posted by castaway View Post
Interesting, could you post the composition?
B
The specs are probably very common in i-net a search should find it, personally do not have the documents that state the difference in glass composition....

Did come up with this...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Didymium

But the term Didymium related to a Rose Didymium glass which has a purplish color where the ACE 202 series glass is a transparent green in color or amethyst color....

Click "Color Boxes" for glass type/specifications at top of this web page...

http://www.phillips-safety.com/glass...ame-style.html

And then there is this....

http://www.auralens.net/blog

Can not recommend purchasing any lenses for AURA as Mike had been very unreliable and argumentative and guilty of making promises he did not keep.....

Dale

Last edited by Dale M.; 2013-05-21 at 6:58am.
Old 2013-09-20, 1:51am

Lots of cool info on Didy Safety here
I'm Yet another N00b to Lampwork butt just ordered my GTT cricket today, along with some clear and coloured boro. I had been using safety glasses for working small soft beads beforehand.
My question is, If I was to get a set of cheap didy's and set them into a oxy-aceteline mask with a shade 4-5 would that give me a desirable product for working boro glass safely?
Also, Would even just the goggles / mask (its a ski-mask type) work for short periods?
Old 2013-09-20, 6:52am
I fart diamonds

The welders goggles won't protect from sodium flare. If your working small boro for short periods of time and not using a ton of color, regular didys will suffice. You can always get a pair of boro clip-ons to wear with your didys.

Old 2013-09-21, 6:58pm

Thanks shawnette!

You really seem to have... your beads in a row... when it comes to lampworking, You're VERY helpful in multiple threads ive seen! so thank you!

one last question, where would i find the absolute cheapest Didy or ACE lenses?
Old 2017-03-12, 7:27am

Renewing the thread.

Eye safety-

Didymium Glasses are the base for lampworking. Didymium Glasses cut sodium flair and allow the worker to see the glass. But when working colored boro or fuming IR and UV is emitted that can do eye damage.

Nevertheless, some lampworkers claim that they have just used Didymium Glasses only for decades and hot damaged their eyes.

Many lampworkers who try out using IR and UV filters say that they cannot see well enough with number 3 to number 5 welding filters.

So for doing really low torch settings for dots and flower implosion fine cane work just Didys in that phase are prob OK.

So some kind of flip-up might be the solution or a face shield. When building punnies and working other clear glass Didymium Glasses alone are prob enough. But when you are melting and molding a 2 inch marble with raging seconday major burners blazing-- Didymium filters with a number 5 Green welding filter will provide eye protection.

So in crafting certain pieces eye protection may need to switch at different phases of flameworking. For example if you are doing a detailed implosion laying fine dots using a very fine flame, to later use secondary lamps while integrating the implosion into a large marble.

Last edited by SteveR; 2017-03-12 at 7:29am.
Old 2017-03-12, 7:56am
Phill

Stronger lighting will be the answer for those that can not see well enough for number 3 or number 5 welding glasses.

Those are the shades that are going to prevent IR and UV damage to the eyes.

Some folks have never used either of those and have not come up with any damage to their eyes.

Others have only done a little work with boro without them and have come up with life long damage.

There is some evidence that those of us with lighter eye color are a little more susceptible but the potential for permanent damage is very real and not worth the risk when proper protection is cheaply available for the cost of the shades and increased lighting.

Human eyes get bad enough in the 8th and 9th decades without having worked molten glass at all so any prevention we can do now is going to pay dividends then.

It's only a hobby and no ones life is on the line so waiting to get the proper personal protection like good ventilation and eye wear is worth it in the long run.