LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2009-01-19, 3:03pm

Well Jim, I wasn't really expecting to hear "Yes Sarah, you are right".

I'm sorry. I don't know who you are, there is no information about you in your profile, and you haven't posted anything on any other threads in here, yet you seem very eager to convince people to buy this glass. What am I supposed to think?

Like I said, I would love to hear about other people's experiences with this glass. Until that happens, I remain skeptical. Sorry. Nothing personal.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
Old 2009-01-19, 3:12pm

Squid, No problem. I have only been lampworking for a year, but have invested a "kings ransom" in glass. Some of it odd lots and a lot of handpulled glass from different companies. Some of this glass is better or equal to some of the glass I purchased. I do feel qualified to know COE in glass. I have fused for years. I have built kilns for years, mostly pottery kilns, but I have a thorough knowledge of glass kilns and firing them. I have a knowledge of firing glass and pottery. I have built kilns and fired them for fourty years. We sold refactory fibers, fiberboard, and firebrick for twenty-two years.
I am sorry for ranting, but I was only trying to help, and got slammed. Once others try this glass, let's see who gets the last laugh. Maybe Sarah and MaryBeth can slam someone else. No one said "this was the greatest glass known to mankind." But, I know, from personal experience, a lot of beadmakers that will appreciate it's properties and price and some have already bought it and are awaiting it's arrival. Time will tell.
Jim
Old 2009-01-19, 3:17pm
<---RamboPatootieSuperbun

My curiousity got the best of me and I purchased a few colors last week- the ones that looked different than what's currently available in 104.
After I receive them and try them, I'll be sure to post my results, good or bad. I bought some of the salmon color. It would be nice to have a good
opaque peachy salmon, so I really hope it's compatible. Now I just have to wait for the mail.

Old 2009-01-19, 3:19pm
novembersfyre everywhere

So, Jim - a while back in this thread you promised pictures of your beads?

Do you have any?

Old 2009-01-19, 3:30pm

MaryBeth, I unloaded the kiln after annealing last night. I have never uploaded pics. and really, I don't see any reason to. You guys just let the "oldtime" members try and post. Being the "newbie" I am, what do I know.
After all, I have mixed, melted, poured, and rolled stained glass. This was the same soda/lime glass rods are pulled from. I can look at a glass rod and tell you every element, including what colorants are used. I also know most rods which rods have gold and silver in them.
Have fun testing and posting negative replies.
Jim
Old 2009-01-19, 3:35pm
offically down under

How long are you annealing the beads for? Surely, after a week of making the beads and telling us that they are going in the kiln, you'd have some beads ready to photograph to show us.

CIM, which is made in China, has worked with professionals in the industry to make sure they have a good product. Not all of their glass plays nice even though it is 104 coe. Even Lauscha, also 104, doesn't always work with Moretti and Vetrofond -especially with silver glass.

Please don't jump on Sarah for asking a respectable question. If a new car suddenly showed up at the dealer, with no advertising, no write ups by those in the industry, would you want to buy it? Of course not. You'd wait for the reviews, give it a while to prove itself and, then, maybe you'd test drive it. You certainly wouldn't take the car salesman's advise.

Perhaps, you should have introduced yourself in the beginning so we'd know your background a bit better. India does make a lot of beads and most of them are pretty poor quality (I'm trying to be polite). For us to spend money on poor quality glass, regardless of the price, is a waste of our time and money. To take a risk that it might not be compatible, is certainly not worth the effort.

Old 2009-01-19, 3:37pm

I am not trying to be negative, "slam" anyone or "get the last laugh".

What we know so far is, no one has heard of the glass before, you can't find it on Google, the seller has no feedback as a seller, the auction description includes statements that seem odd and don't make sense to many people, Indian glass is not known to be of good quality, and the only person who has used it seems to be friends with the seller and has never posted anything else on LE before.

If the glass is indeed not problematic in any way, I will be very glad to hear it from at least one more person. That would be very good news. Maybe I will try it.

That's really all there is to it. I'm not interested in getting into a newbies vs. not-newbies fight.

|
|
|
Old 2009-01-19, 3:41pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drafly View Post
I can look at a glass rod and tell you every element, including what colorants are used. I also know most rods which rods have gold and silver in them.
Maybe you should try posting in other threads then. It sounds like you'd have a lot of interesting knowledge to share with the forum. (I am not being sarcastic.)

|
|
|
Old 2009-01-19, 3:45pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

I would like to see pics too.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2009-01-19, 3:45pm
Just me

Ho boy, here we go.
Okay I did go to and get some glass from Natasha and Daniel.
I don't have any input about the quality of the glass as I have not yet been able to melt any of it.
All I really can give you right now is a visual description of the rods.
They definitely look hand pulled, somewhat irregular and different sizes.
The only thing I'm already a little sketchy on is the clear which has some visible bubbles.
The rest of the colors look fine and I won't be able to tell you any more until I get downstairs to test it. I was hoping to do so this week end but that didn't happen.
I will try my best to strong arm my husband to make time and watch the kids for me soon so I can hopefully give you my assessment of this glass.

I plan on doing some stringer compatibility testing. Testing the clear over black and some plain spacers as well as some encasing.
With the colors I will be mostly making spacers to compare against the rods. Daniel mentioned if you heat the glass a bit hotter you'll get striations (much like dk ivory) so I'll be playing with that.
The opaque black will get a metallic sheen if put in an oxygen rich flame and I'll be working with that a little too.

If you have any further suggestions on what to test in order to tell you more about this glass let me know.

Last edited by Bubbyanne; 2009-01-20 at 11:10am. Reason: typos
Old 2009-01-19, 3:51pm

Thanks Bubbyanne, I am looking forward to hearing what you think of the glass once you get a chance to work with it.

|
|
|
Old 2009-01-19, 3:59pm
Just me

Sure, I'll get to it as soon as I can.

Old 2009-01-19, 3:59pm

Barb, I am glad an old timer is going to report back. I do not feel qualified anyway. I made beads with one-half Devardi and one-half Moretti. I encased Moretti with Devardi. I did get some bubbles in the clear. I have better clears. I sandwiched Devardi between two colors of Moretti. I also made a transparent rose one half and other half is their white opal. No cracks.
I was going to try and learn to upload pics. tonight and show the beads, but I know a couple on here would possibly ask if I was actually using Devardi, so what is the use?
I only did what I was asked to do, got slammed, and it only proves the old saying that no good deed goes unpunished. I look forward to your tests.
Jim
Old 2009-01-19, 4:07pm
Cancer SUCKS!

I went to Ebay and didn't see the pink glass. Is it sold out.

I hope that you stay around and post on LE Jim. It seems that you might have some valuable knowledge to post here. Maybe you can find some more peaceful areas to post in.

Old 2009-01-19, 4:14pm
Just me

Thanks Jim,
I hope I can make some decent test beads. It's been several months since I've lit up my torch. Of course pretty or ugly I'll post what I get.
If you decide to post pics of your beads and need any help with the uploader let me know and I'll see what I can do to help.

Quote:
Barb, I am glad an old timer is going to report back. I do not feel qualified anyway. I made beads with one-half Devardi and one-half Moretti. I encased Moretti with Devardi. I did get some bubbles in the clear. I have better clears. I sandwiched Devardi between two colors of Moretti. I also made a transparent rose one half and other half is their white opal. No cracks.
I was going to try and learn to upload pics. tonight and show the beads, but I know a couple on here would possibly ask if I was actually using Devardi, so what is the use?
I only did what I was asked to do, got slammed, and it only proves the old saying that no good deed goes unpunished. I look forward to your tests.
Jim

Old 2009-01-19, 4:18pm

Jim, I'm sorry you have had a bad taste from this forum, however the forum is a very heavily trafficed site and people do use it to make sells and can come away with a substantial amount of money, because we are always looking for that new glass, that new tool or whatever. We have, over the years, learned to take with a grain of salt the reports of a person on a new product if that person suddenly comes on the forum and their very first post they are giving rave reviews to a new product. As the old saying goes, once burned, twice shy. That's what you are experiencing.

I think when someone we are familiar with comes up with an analysis we will feel much more comfortable about making a decision regarding an investment in this glass.

Bubby, one thing you might want to try is making spacers with moretti on the outside and the new glass on the inside, and then make a second spacer with the new glass on the inside and moretti on the outside. In fact, I would make them small and not even anneal them, just to see what happens. Otherwise, just have fun!!

"It is easier to perceive error than to find truth, for the former lies on the surface and is easily seen, while the latter lies in the depth, where few are willing to search for it." Johann Wolfgang Von Goeth

My Blog
Old 2009-01-19, 4:18pm

Deb, I did not order that dark pink soon enough either. It is fanstatic. It does not burn out at all.
I doubt you will see me much around here. I have better things to do with my time than trying to get my kicks with negative posting. My wife sold three crates of stained glass today. Guess who will pack them? Have a good evening.
Later, Jim
Old 2009-01-19, 4:21pm
Wahwahbabypants

Jim, I am NOT an old-timer around these parts. Please don't go away in a huff... I'd like to see pictures of your beads.

I might go Crazyif I don't go Crazy Tonight.

Last edited by pinkcb; 2009-01-19 at 4:21pm. Reason: spelling
Old 2009-01-19, 4:31pm

Pam, I don't blame members on this board to question this glass. It really is too good to be true at that cost. I only wish they had more colors. If certain members would have waited, I would have posted the test beads. I do have more to do with my life than post negative, sarcastic posts. If someone wants to send me their email, I will send them and they can post. They are uglys, but I fired the devel out of them to test colors.
As someone suggested, I sandwiched Devardi between Moretti.

Hi Charlene, If you are not an Old-Timer - Hide or Duck!

Later, Jim
Old 2009-01-19, 4:52pm

Again, Jim, I am sorry, but this has nothing to do with old-timer or new, just with promoting a product on your first post. That's it and that's all, really. With your stated experience, you could probably be a big asset to this community. There are many, many posts which I am sure your knowledge and experience would be very helpful.

"It is easier to perceive error than to find truth, for the former lies on the surface and is easily seen, while the latter lies in the depth, where few are willing to search for it." Johann Wolfgang Von Goeth

My Blog
Old 2009-01-19, 5:09pm

Pam, I was not promoting a product. As I stated, I do not have a dog in this fight. I was the first to make a purchase and try this product. I was asked by members on this board for my experience with this glass. I posted it. If certain members still had questions concerning this glass, they should have waited for other member's posts or tried the glass themselves, before attacking in such a scarcastic manner. I am sending pics. and asking Barb if she will post them. I hope more of you can post your experience with this glass, so everyone's questions can be answered. Evidently, I cannot answer them, without being accused of promoting a product. I wish it was my product!
Regards, Jim
Old 2009-01-19, 5:44pm

Jim, please! I think you are reading into these posts some sarcasm and nastiness that the authors are not intending. Sarah apologized for any possible hurt feelings in the BEGINNING of her post in which she asks the question. If you read this forum for a while you'll see that no one was trying to bash you, and your constant references to being bashed just make this worse. Marybeth just wanted to see pictures! We asked who you were, you answered, and now we move on...

"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice; in practice there is." ~ Chuck Reid
Old 2009-01-19, 6:04pm
I'm a lilac!

Jim, what Pam is saying is spot-on. No one is accusing you of anything, just wanting to make sure, since nobody knows you and there's no info in your profile, that you're really just an independent beadmaker. No one KNOWS you enough to make any accusations! There have been a lot of people in the past, as Pam said, who have had shill accounts with which they pretended to be "customers" and gave rave reviews to themselves, so until you let us know, we had no way of knowing whether that was going on in this case as well.

It does sound like you know your glass and could be a really great contributor to this forum... and since you run a glass business as well, you could stand to gain customers if you keep posting. There are lots of fusers here!

Keep on torching, and take care!

Old 2009-01-19, 6:05pm

You're right, Jim, that was a poor choice of words on my part. I should have said "giving us your positive experiences with the product", but you see, since we didn't know you it came across to some of us as you "promoting a product."

My Blog
Old 2009-01-19, 6:24pm

Hello Jenny, I am not reading anything into these posts that is not there. I did not start this thread. LE is where I first heard of Devardi glass. I was the first one to order and receive it. I was asked to test it. I did and gave my opinions about it. If they did not like my opinions, let them pay $5.99 for a pound and test it and then post their own opinions.
It was shipped from Washington state to Virginia, I had to make the beads and anneal them. I then had to photograph them. I did all this in ten days. What is the rush? No, let's pile on for entertainment.
I am not trying to sell or prove anything. I was just trying to be helpful to some who would possibly like a few colors without paying the big bucks for them.
I would like to thank Barb very much for posting the pic. for me.
Regards, Jim
Old 2009-01-19, 6:29pm

Quote:
LE is where I first heard of Devardi glass. I was the first one to order and receive it.
This thread was started on Jan. 10. The glass was already up on eBay on that date. There is no mention of Devardi on LE previous to that date.

Drafly posted this a few hours after the original post:

Quote:
Hello, I just received an email from the seller. The glass is made in India.
Natasha seems to be eager to work with lampworkers. I asked her to put an assortment on ebay and she has.
Not buying this, period.
Everyone is absolutely free to believe whatever they like. This does not rule out the possibility that the glass could actually be wonderful.

|
|
|
Old 2009-01-19, 6:35pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarah_hornik View Post
This thread was started on Jan. 10. The glass was already up on eBay on that date. There is no mention of Devardi on LE previous to that date.

Drafly posted this a few hours after the original post:

Not buying this, period.
Everyone is absolutely free to believe whatever they like. This does not rule out the possibility that the glass could actually be wonderful.
Damn you Sarah - you and your facts

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2009-01-19, 6:48pm

Give me a break! I saw the post on LE. I emailed the seller and received an email back that they would put an assortment on. I emailed and bought an assortment direct. I paid for it through PayPal. What else do you want, to see a copy of my payment to PayPal? Where did you get your CSI training? Jim
What is your problem? Are you bored or are you just trying to run new members away from this forum?
Old 2009-01-19, 6:55pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarah_hornik View Post
Everyone is absolutely free to believe whatever they like.

|
|
|
Old 2009-01-19, 6:56pm
Just me

Here are Jim's beads.
The first pic was just resized by me the second I cropped a bit so you could see them a bit better.
You're welcome Jim!

Tags
devardi, missing posts?