Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2009-02-25, 6:06pm

Default Good source for copper tubing

Okay, so I have yet to line my first BHB. I am using 5/32 mandrels and am thinking of buying the Impress bead liner, but I do not want to "practice" with sterling silver, so thought I would try with copper first. Can anyone tell me where I can buy copper tubing? Thanks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2009-02-25, 6:12pm
honorary bead lady

Check your local hardware store like ACE or True Value...not the big box store, ask it is not in the plumbing stuff. Or the hobby shop for model planes/trains...

Online search Google several vendors there
Old 2009-02-26, 6:28am
Elphaba Lives !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by houptdavid View Post
Check your local hardware store like ACE or True Value...not the big box store, ask it is not in the plumbing stuff. Or the hobby shop for model planes/trains...

Online search Google several vendors there
OK, why not the big store?? I've seen copper tubing in the plumbing dept of both Lowe's and Home Depot. Is there something about those that won't work. I was hoping to use this as my source when I'm ready to start lining my beads. Am I missing something? Afterall, I don't want to waste my money, or end up selling something inferior.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2009-02-26, 9:13am

I have been able to get 1/4 inch from regular hardware stores. I'm not sure about the 5/32, though.
Old 2009-02-26, 9:59am

You might find a bigger selection of tube sizes at hobby stores, but the copper in soft tubing is pretty much all the same. Big Box stores often have the small tubing where you'll find the stuff for attaching ice makers and things like that and the size selection is limited. You'll probably have to straighten it regardless of where you buy it, the soft stuff is usually sold in coils.

Robert
Old 2009-02-26, 10:02am
honorary bead lady

The big box will have 1/4" soft copper tubing in rolls 10' - 20' etc. If you go to a small "real" hardware store they may cut what you want, they also have a box of hobby stuff, small thinwall copper, brass in 12" lengths but it's not in the plumbing section.
Old 2009-02-26, 3:27pm

One more thing, if you plan to line your 5/32 beads, they probably won't still fit on Biagi and Pandora bracelets. I think the smallest size mandrel that can be lined and still fit is 3/16
Old 2009-02-27, 7:03pm
On a good hair day.

I use 5/32" myself and they fit Pandora and Biagi after coring. They just need to be double dipped in release to match the size of the 3/16" holes.

Patricia

Old 2009-02-27, 7:10pm

I found the copper tubing in the hardware and big box stores to have too thick of a wall for my preference. Also, the tubing was not consistent in size, which does not matter at all for plumbing, but isn't quite what we want in core lining.

If you are interested, I do have copper tubing on my etsy that is closer to the silver tubing in wall thickness. It makes an easy learning curve to using silver tubing.

Ginko Beads
Old 2009-02-27, 11:57pm
Elphaba Lives !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginko View Post
I found the copper tubing in the hardware and big box stores to have too thick of a wall for my preference. Also, the tubing was not consistent in size, which does not matter at all for plumbing, but isn't quite what we want in core lining.

If you are interested, I do have copper tubing on my etsy that is closer to the silver tubing in wall thickness. It makes an easy learning curve to using silver tubing.

I bookmarked your shop. I'm not anywhere near ready to start lining beads, but when I am, l'll come back around.

Old 2009-02-28, 6:59am

Thank you. That was nice. When you are ready and have questions just bring them here and drop me a PM. I will be glad to help out.

Ginko Beads
Old 2009-03-01, 10:26am

You know, not all of us live in large cities where you have suppliers close at hand. I live in the wilds of Wyoming and there isn't a hobby shop to be found ANYWHERE in the state.

An online source, wholesale preferably, would really be appreciated.

Old 2009-03-01, 11:48am
Anyone need some spacers?

The tube Ginko carries is very nice thin walled copper and silver and is preannealed,