Lampwork Etc.

Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2006-07-19, 8:39am
Type ZZZ personality

Default How to use Momka's multi-colored rods?

I got a sample pack of Momka's rods and I just don't know what to do with the multi colored ones to their best advantage. What is the best way to use them and please show pictures!! TIA!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Lynx with 2 5-lpm oxycons
Old 2006-07-19, 9:20am
ManBearPig

Don't have any pictures yet, but here are a couple of the things I like to do...

1. Take them and condense them down into pendants or marbles. If you take a small section of rod and punty up to each end, heat it and condense it, give it a little twist as you are condensing, it makes a nice spiral pattern. Twisting it back and forth makes a wig-wag. Then you can either make a marble, or flatten it into a pendant.

2. Pull them down into twisted stringers, and use as you would any other twisted stringer. I really like them on inside out pieces or in pendants.

Old 2006-07-19, 12:23pm

Mine just arrived yesterday too, Patty -$35 from Auralens.

Facsinating selection of pieces, looking forward to pulling them about a bit.

Paul
Old 2006-07-19, 5:59pm

I have used rhapsody in blue (blue and green) to make beads and just give it 3 wraps and then zig zag clear over it or do a regular clear wrap and twist it with a tool - you don't have to do much to make it really pretty - especially in the sunlight. I've used a couple of the other colors but so far they've been pretty dark for beads - I think a small bead just isn't enough surface space to get the full effect (maybe Kay L. will prove me wrong and show us something amazing with them). Momka's colors are subtle and at the Lavender Festival we had last weekend there were a number of women who saw the colors in the glass earrings I made from silver dance and rhapsody in blue and had to have them!
Old 2006-07-19, 6:15pm

I made the cutest pendants from the marley rod, I didn't get to take any pics tho : ( I sold all 4 of them to the same girl at a schoolyard show.
I pretty much did what Chad said, cut them into small pieces with nippers and puntied up with clear. I put a glob of GA raven on the back and gave it a tiny twist, then put a big clear lens on top. I stretched it out to an oval shape and put a raven loop on it.

I haven't tried using one as a twistie stringer yet...Thanks for the idea!

I wish you good luck Patty, I'm sure whatever you use them for will come out great!

Old 2006-07-19, 10:40pm

Default Ta Da!!!

I usually like to do the several wrap thingy and either big clear dots or zig zig.. Sometimes I twist the stringer and sometimes I don't. And I try not to reheat the color too much till I am ready to strike it IF it is a striking color like Silver Dance.

In the kiln right now is a couple where I did four big dots with a stringer of Silver Dance and then raked them. I put them on Momka's newest gorgeous green .. She calls it Dragon Green and I got to name it.. wohoo...

A fairly dark pearly green that works like butter and NO BUBBLES!!

And I was at the Lavender Festival with Momka last Saturday... We had a great time. Wish we could have seen everything......
Attached Images

Old 2006-07-20, 4:02am
Serenity Now!

Nice pics Kay! Love that top pendant...cool!

Art, Colour, Bling & Happy happening here:
Old 2006-07-20, 8:35am
Type ZZZ personality

I guess the reason I'm having trouble is that some of the rods have color on the inside and if you use it as a twisty, you won't get the inside color.

Lynx with 2 5-lpm oxycons
Old 2006-07-20, 10:05am
ManBearPig

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusticstudio
I guess the reason I'm having trouble is that some of the rods have color on the inside and if you use it as a twisty, you won't get the inside color.
Sure you will. I use Silver Aqua as a twisted cane all the time. You still see all the colors.

Old 2006-07-20, 10:29am
Flameworker

Those are all the suggestions I would have given. Here is an idea for an inside out bead. Just twisted a rod into a stringer. (Silver Dance) A drew it on.
Sabina
Old 2006-07-20, 11:17am

great thread, ive been staring at those rods for a while. i pick them up then decide to save them. not sure why, i think today i will try one
thanks
ro
Old 2006-07-20, 6:25pm

what is Momka?
Old 2006-07-21, 6:05am
ManBearPig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffeebean
what is Momka?
www.momkasglass.com

Old 2006-07-21, 9:29am
Save the Numbats

I like the idea of the colored rods, but most of the color combos are heinous!! I am opposed to ruby being next to cobalt - it's just plain horrible.
On a weirder and less complainy note, I used some thoroughly blended Autumn Leaves that my friend made - I thought it was silver strike or something. It stayed nice and un boiled on the surface, which is surprising considering I wasn't treating it any special way.
Old 2006-07-23, 4:29pm

Maybe add some white to the ruby and cobalt..? Make a flag? I dunno...

Old 2006-08-06, 10:03pm
Save the Numbats

Well, I could make a flag in theory... but I think Infinity 1 and 2 also have various other colors that are not found in the Italian, French or Confederate flkag... oh, did you mean the United States of America? hmm......

Anyway, I like Rhapsody In Blue. Thats very tasteful.
Halloween and Marlee are nice combinations. I take it all back.
Momka is super wicked cool.
Old 2006-12-16, 2:37pm

Can someone explain this anymore? I'm just not getting it. How much rod do you nip off? And I am having trouble melting it and the backing color in into the back of the maria. Is there any way to keep the spiral tight? Mine gets all mushy. Thanks!!!
Old 2006-12-16, 11:44pm
Formerly Fireflyartglass

I have silver aqua and have only tried it once and it was really boring I couldn't stike the colours for some reason??? Has any1 got photos of something with it in it?
I was gifted a half rod of rhapsody in blue and was thinking about pulling it into stringer and using it for an implosion???
Old 2006-12-17, 11:11am

Some of the mixed momka rods can be very challenging to work. The gypsy queen gives you great colors when it strikes out correctly, but I have not found it easy to strike. However, two combinations that I have found pretty easy to work are "Rapsody in Blue" and "Autumn Leaves." As far as working it, you can make it into twisties, wig-wag it, make dots with it, etc.

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. ---- Albert Einstein

Old 2006-12-19, 8:20am

I have discovered this technicque for the multis....

Solid base, then make dots by heating up the tip of the multi and make a twist as you apply dot. Then apply a lot (did I say LOTS) of clear onto the dot and melt in. Then apply a clear coat over that. Gives you a vortex effect than can be quite mesmerizing...

God, I can't wait to torch again!!!! Soon now.

Old 2006-12-21, 9:09am
Cats & Glass!

I wanted to show something I did with the multi color - Amethyst Ice. I took nippers and tried to nip off 1/4" slices - which I then put on a base of clear. So, this is four around and then four "up" and four "down" - just like making a standard dot bead. After melting in, I swirled the inside dots. Gotta practice this more as I think it might make a really cool effect with many of the colors.

Janelle

Ebay -
Etsy -
Blog -
Old 2006-12-21, 9:16am

Janelle, I think you are on to something here. Let's see more. Try that new Apache color you have? Hopefully can get ceiling done today, then torch set up.... hope hope.... Lots of snow here....

Old 2006-12-22, 6:41pm

What's Apache? I've never seen that one. Sounds cool!
Anita
www.fireflybeads.com
Old 2015-08-04, 3:40pm
I fart diamonds

bump

Old 2015-08-05, 7:15am
just another glass addict

Thanks for bumping up this old thread Shawnette! I was just thinking I needed to play with some momka glass!!

"Confidence, like art, never comes from having all the answers; it comes from being open to all the questions."
-Earl Gray Stevens-

Old 2015-09-03, 4:57am

I am going to play with momkas stripes ( beads) great ideas here, more photos would be grateful. Sorry I don't know how to add a photo
Old 2015-09-03, 3:56pm

I like to use a rod like Sunflower and snip off little chips like millefiori. Place on a graphite pad in a pattern, heat up a large glob and then smash down on the chips like you are making a maria. Then start imploding. Make either a pendant or a marble.
Old 2015-09-28, 9:32am

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourpawsglass View Post
I like to use a rod like Sunflower and snip off little chips like millefiori. Place on a graphite pad in a pattern, heat up a large glob and then smash down on the chips like you are making a maria. Then start imploding. Make either a pendant or a marble.
Thats exactly what I do

Old 2020-07-22, 3:55pm
Lamp105

Default Momka’s glass

Hi friends, just came into a package of this MOMKA’S boro glass and I am looking for tips to work with it. The colors are unlabeled, and some of them are multi color. I use an Alpha minor torch, and usually work with 104 or bullseye, not a ton of work beyond icicles and cocktail stir sticks with boro. I’d appreciate any advice! Thanks!
Old 2020-07-23, 6:33am
DaveK

I think the two on the right are “Apache” but it has been awhile.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
You can call me Dave 🎨