Lampwork Etc.

Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2008-10-21, 5:14am
Borovangelist

Default Carmen Red question

I made a chili pepper last night out of Momka's Carmen Red, and it mostly came out nice. The problem is I did something to it and now it has this odd sheen to it. I think it might be devit? It looks like I took a very thin strip of mother of pearl or mica and laid onto it. Definitely not what I was going for.

Any thoughts what I screwed up? The pepper's hollow, so it took a bit of heat between melting in the color initially and then shaping.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
Old 2008-10-21, 5:49am
ManBearPig

Sounds like devitrification to me.

Old 2008-10-21, 6:03am
Borovangelist

Thanks. I'm just bummed because it was the only two sticks I had on hand and it was a prototype for a hot sauce maker that wants to have some made to sell on his site.

On the upside, Vapor Glass has a sale going on Momka's right now

|
|
Old 2008-10-21, 6:08am
ManBearPig

Personally, I wouldn't use Carmen Red for something like that anyways. It can lose color if it gets too hot. I'd probably use something like Red Crayon or Cherry. Make a tube pull with it and you have tons of prep all ready to go.

Old 2008-10-21, 6:13am
Borovangelist

Really? Aside from the devit Carmen's the only red in that shade I've tried that didn't go all livery on me. I got a tiny bit of livering in it, but it actually gave it a more natural look.

|
|
Old 2008-10-21, 6:21am
Borovangelist

I just called to split my order between carmen and cherry. Sounds like a fun date

I have the crayon red here but I've never been able to work it well.

|
|
Old 2008-10-21, 7:37am
yukue fumei

the chilis sound cool! I wanna see

sorry that the devit happened...sometimes you can rehit it and it will go away.
I have heard that if you see it when working a piece you can spray it with a borax solution and it will go away....I haven't tried this myself but I bought some to try....

good luck with the reds!

nagi

Old 2008-10-21, 7:40am
Borovangelist

ah, unfortunately it's sealed, so no more flame for the chili. I'll try to snap a photo a little later.

|
|
Old 2008-10-21, 7:58am
boro color bender

I'd love to see it. Did you try encasing it in clear? That should cut down on any devit issues.

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2008-10-21, 7:59am
boro color bender

Oh and you might want to look at sand blasting it. You may not have wanted it to be matte, but it would look better than devit.

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2008-10-21, 8:51am
ManBearPig

Quote:
Originally Posted by menty666 View Post
I just called to split my order between carmen and cherry. Sounds like a fun date

I have the crayon red here but I've never been able to work it well.
Encase it. Colors like Red Crayon (and especially Cherry) don't work well at all unless you encase them. But, they stay nice and red. Which is why I was talking about doing a tube pull. Then you end up with a nice red tube that stays red, but you can heat the heck out of it without worrying about it boiling.

Old 2008-10-21, 9:10am
Borovangelist

I got laughing while taking the photos. I kept thinking "You're hot! Work it! Work it you spicy thing!"

The pepper's 5.5" from tip to tip

|
|
Old 2008-10-21, 9:26am
yukue fumei

Cool! It's still pretty--pepper with battle damage.....

Thanks for the photo! LOL! what a spicy photo shoot

could it be devit from stretching too?

nagi

Old 2008-10-21, 9:36am
Borovangelist

possibly from stretching but it follows individual stripe lines so I kind of wonder if it was just overheating. I just wish I had saw it before it went into the kiln. Last night I made:

* The pepper (devit)
* hollow pumpkin (cracked)
* oil lamp (wick holder's too long, easy enough to fix)
* wine stopper (fine, yay!)

So overall it was one of those "kiln full of crap" nights.

|
|
Old 2008-10-21, 10:09am
yukue fumei

WOW--sounds like you had fun though
So many different things

nagi

Old 2008-10-21, 11:37am
Fancy Mammal

Doesn't the toilet bowl cleaner trick work for devit on boro?
Old 2008-10-21, 12:25pm
Borovangelist

What's the toilet bowl cleaner trick? Soaking them? I don't think it does, but I can't say I've ever tried it either.

|
|
Old 2008-10-21, 12:27pm
Bliss Junkie

sand blast the sucker... if it doesnt turn out, you didnt really loose out on anything

Karma, it's everywhere your going to be...

GTT Cricket and Carlisle CC w/ a lot of tanked oxygen
Old 2008-10-21, 12:34pm
Borovangelist

True, except it really can't be used to show my client. He likes the shiny cayenne peppers

Though I could instead sell this one. Dilemma dilemma. Ooh, delimmonade!

|
|
Old 2008-10-21, 12:42pm
boro color bender

Sand blast it and then spray it with clear shiny stuff...

Old 2008-10-21, 1:05pm
Hummel factory reject

Tom, I was going to suggest using the encased carmen red that momka released, but then you would have lines on your pepper. Nobody wants that.... You could encase it after you laid down the C.R. too?

Old 2008-10-21, 6:20pm
Borovangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiko View Post
Tom, I was going to suggest using the encased carmen red that momka released, but then you would have lines on your pepper. Nobody wants that.... You could encase it after you laid down the C.R. too?
I considered the encased CR but I was worried about bubbles and the extra spacing lines.

I ordered 1/2 lb each of CR and NS Cherry to play around with. I think I'm going to have to suck it up and learn how to do stick stacks/tube pulls to make some nice encased color to draw from. I know the basic process, and I saw a great video VinE (of Vin Pin fame) did showing the steps, but I haven't actually done one myself. If I can get it right the crayon red should even be usable. That is, if I don't blow through what little 50mm I have on hand I'll need to get a smaller rod of graphite and start using the 40mm instead.
Funny story..I tried one a few weeks back with some BS white and I ended up with molten rubber band all over my bench. That stuff burns awfully easily!

Thanks for all the suggestions folks!

|
|
Old 2008-10-21, 8:00pm
ManBearPig

I wouldn't use anything as big as 50 right now. Start on something like 32 or 36. Lay down a bunch of color in 4-5 inch long lines, then take a 9 mm rod and encase the whole thing. Heat it up and pull it down. There you go.

It also depends on the torch you are working on.

Old 2008-10-21, 9:18pm
Borovangelist

I'm using a redmax.

Isn't laying down the lines where I'm causing problems with the color to begin with? I mean if I were able to melt the red in the flame correctly I wouldn't need to encase it, right? And I meant sleeving the color with the 50, not laying it down on the outside of it

|
|
Old 2008-10-24, 8:00pm

Tom,
I think the pepper is really spicy hot and cool. Thanks for the pix. Sorry, as a boro newbie I have absolutely nothing to offer in the way of help.

Joyce

Old 2008-10-24, 9:36pm
Borovangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFS View Post
Tom,
I think the pepper is really spicy hot and cool. Thanks for the pix. Sorry, as a boro newbie I have absolutely nothing to offer in the way of help.

Joyce

Bah, couple of good burns and you'll be a veteran in no time Thanks!

|
|
Old 2008-10-25, 9:02pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by menty666 View Post
I considered the encased CR but I was worried about bubbles and the extra spacing lines.

I ordered 1/2 lb each of CR and NS Cherry to play around with. I think I'm going to have to suck it up and learn how to do stick stacks/tube pulls to make some nice encased color to draw from. I know the basic process, and I saw a great video VinE (of Vin Pin fame) did showing the steps, but I haven't actually done one myself. If I can get it right the crayon red should even be usable. That is, if I don't blow through what little 50mm I have on hand I'll need to get a smaller rod of graphite and start using the 40mm instead.
Funny story..I tried one a few weeks back with some BS white and I ended up with molten rubber band all over my bench. That stuff burns awfully easily!

Thanks for all the suggestions folks!
is that video available online or was it something you purchased?
Old 2008-10-30, 9:15am
Borovangelist

Hi folks! I just wanted some closure to let you know I got the color right the second time. I suspect that I may have pulled the first one too cold.

Here's the pepper picture. The one on the right's the first attempt. The first 4 are a mix of real and glass; I was using the real ones to gauge the color.

http://munkinarts.com/images/glasspepper.jpg
Old 2008-10-30, 9:29am
yukue fumei

WOW!! Eatable!!!
Yum Yum!
You did an awesome job!!

nagi

Old 2008-11-17, 12:18pm

wow nice color!!! you really worked it out - they look great!