Lampwork Etc.

Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2009-10-14, 7:24pm
Covered in glitter

Default Cremains in boro?

Don't want to gross anyone out here. I know it's possible to add cremains to 104 glass but has anyone tried adding any to boro? I want to try but I'm a little freaked out by it already and don't want any big surprise to happen if I do it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

And those who were seen dancing were thought insane by those who couldn't hear the music. --Nietzsche
Old 2009-10-14, 7:38pm
Borovangelist

Yup. Search on it first though here and over on the melting po....err...talkglass.com There are a bunch of threads about doing it

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
Old 2009-10-15, 6:02am
Covered in glitter

Thanks Tom. I don't know why my brain never goes to 'search' on here. I google everything else all the time. LOL I'll check it out.

And those who were seen dancing were thought insane by those who couldn't hear the music. --Nietzsche
Old 2009-10-15, 3:52pm

oh, wow, that is just kind of nasty.

Q "hey what frit did you use in this one?" A "Grandpa"

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. ---- Albert Einstein

Old 2009-10-15, 5:47pm
Covered in glitter

Eric it really isn't if it's done well. It's a very small amount of cremains in the center of a bead. I'm not sure I can actually open the canister to get any out mind you but I'd like to make the bead.

Old 2009-10-15, 6:04pm
crabby...who me?

Deb,I do it a lot.
Old 2009-10-15, 6:20pm
Know-it-all Megalomaniac

Here's the tutorial that DeAnne did. I've done this in boro
for years now with great results! Go for it!

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...es%2C+cremains

Get your copy of the new Lampwork Etc. Tutorials and Tips Book

Old 2009-10-15, 10:03pm
Bead Obsessed

Some people are creeped out by it and "memory hearts" aren't for them. Many people however treasure them. We have one friend who had Chris make her a memory heart in every color of the rainbow so that she could wear one everyday. She's never without her treasured dog next to her heart. My best friend's son passed in August and we will be making memory hearts for her and her family.

Here's a tip that Chris always passes along to people who inquire about them. For those of you who are freaked out by the idea just don't read this part.....

Chris says that if you use an enamel sifter to separate the chunks from the finer powder you will have better luck with no breakage. Only use a small amount and encase it with clear then build the heart around that center. You don't want the ash to come up to the surface, it's like the worse devit you can imagine, not pretty.

Old 2009-10-15, 10:28pm

Chris says that if you use an enamel sifter to separate the chunks from the finer powder you will have better luck with no breakage. Only use a small amount and encase it with clear then build the heart around that center. You don't want the ash to come up to the surface, it's like the worse devit you can imagine, not pretty.[/quote]

Ok- this is a weird question, but after sifting, do you use the cremains that stay in the sifter or the ones that go through?
Old 2009-10-15, 10:51pm
Bead Obsessed

You use the fine stuff that goes out of the sifter not the chunks.

Old 2009-10-16, 7:33am
Covered in glitter

That's my problem with this. My Freckles was the kitty love of my life and I really want a bead to wear with cremains in it. But...I feel like if I open that cannister and start sifting I will start crying and never stop again. I'm not at all grossed out by the cremains, just by the fact that they belong to one of the big loves of my life.

Old 2009-10-16, 9:10am

How about blowing a heavy walled hollow piece, putting some of the cremains inside, and then sealing it with a good epoxy? I have seem some nice blown heart pendants on LE.

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. ---- Albert Einstein

Old 2009-10-16, 10:06am
Know-it-all Megalomaniac

I just found this online

http://www.perfectmemorials.com/dich...lry-c-876.html

Get your copy of the new Lampwork Etc. Tutorials and Tips Book

Old 2009-10-16, 10:45am

Quote:
Originally Posted by debkauz View Post
That's my problem with this. My Freckles was the kitty love of my life and I really want a bead to wear with cremains in it. But...I feel like if I open that cannister and start sifting I will start crying and never stop again. I'm not at all grossed out by the cremains, just by the fact that they belong to one of the big loves of my life.
Deb, you would stop...and maybe another cry would be good?

When my sister and I took out her husband's ashes and scattered them in a very special place to the three of us, we had the same fears, especially my sister! It was quite cathartic, and helped our grieving, even though it was quite some time (over a year) after he died.

I love the idea of ashes in a bead, and am so thankful that there are compassionate artists who will do this for people who want and need it.

J.
"Hatred is never ended by hatred but by love, and a misunderstanding is never ended by argument but by tact, diplomacy, conciliation, and a sympathetic desire to see the other person's viewpoint." ~The Buddha | “We are all humans and none of us is more human than the other.” Romeo Dallaire "Never look down on anybody unless you're helping him up." ~ Rev.Jesse Jackson]
Old 2009-10-21, 2:14pm
Creatrixie

It never occurred to me that people made and wore this type of remembrance token.
Hrm. Interesting.

~Mary

There's always something new to learn!
COE 104
Old 2009-10-21, 7:01pm

I have been doing it for pets and people for about 4 years.
In boro.
G.