LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials

Old 2011-04-21, 7:17am
Creative Spirit

Default IS there a tutorial for this bead???

I'm not too sure who did this bead, but I LOVE IT and was wondering if anyone knew if there was a tutorial for it???

Name:  il_570xN.230127115.jpg
Views: 2468
Size:  64.0 KB

Peace Wendy
Old 2011-04-21, 7:25am
Made in the Shade

perhaps this one? http://www.etsy.com/listing/72395530...s-working-with

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2011-04-21, 8:39am
Melts Under Fire

http://www.etsy.com/listing/55704235...facet=handmade

maybe this one

Old 2011-04-21, 8:39am
I speak Murrini!

That's a good direction TA that you offered Wendy, as I love Anouk and ALL of her Tutorials are wonderful!!!

On the other hand, the example bead (which I think might be the work of Jacqueline (gemsinbloom here on LE; http://www.etsy.com/shop/gemsinbloom) looks more like it has the Michael Barley "Baleen" technique to make the ripple pattern: http://www.etsy.com/listing/55704235...facet=handmade

Hope this helps!

PS...If this bead is indeed done by gemsinbloom, maybe you could PM her and she may be able to give you more direction...

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2011-04-21, 8:40am
I speak Murrini!

! Michelle, we posted at the exact same moment!

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2011-04-21, 2:36pm
Creative Spirit

Thanks DeAnne I think I will see if it is Gems! Thanks for the direction everyone!

Peace Wendy
Old 2011-04-22, 10:44am
thecoralcat

Location: Upstate South Carolina about 20 minutes south of Asheville, NC

Definitely looks to be a Jacqueline Gems in Bloom focal!

The Victorian Style Floral available now!

NEW TUTORIAL!
Joan - Ancient Creator of Unique Disasters in glass!
Old 2011-04-22, 12:36pm
Jacqueline Parkes

Yes it is mine

So when I first looked into this technique myself a little over a year ago, I was asking around for help too. Most were vague and cryptic with their answers. Thankfully a few were very helpful to me and I also purchased a few tutorials.

It is really very simple actually. Heat your strip of reducing silver glass and cut grooves into it with your tool of choice. I used a razor blade for a long time but now I am using a sharp steak knife. Then encase the pleats with your choice of transparent glass.

Old 2011-04-22, 12:59pm

Very pretty indeed.
Old 2011-04-24, 10:02am
Creative Spirit

Thank you soooo much! will be sure to try it! LOVE your beads!

Peace Wendy
Old 2011-04-24, 10:06am
...displaced ocean lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemsinbloom View Post
Yes it is mine

So when I first looked into this technique myself a little over a year ago, I was asking around for help too. Most were vague and cryptic with their answers. Thankfully a few were very helpful to me and I also purchased a few tutorials.

It is really very simple actually. Heat your strip of reducing silver glass and cut grooves into it with your tool of choice. I used a razor blade for a long time but now I am using a sharp steak knife. Then encase the pleats with your choice of transparent glass.
Wait....a steak knife? Really.
I've got one of those!! I'm trying this today!!
Thanks!!

Introducing...MY Etsy!!

Now featuring SOCK MONKEY AND SEA TURTLE beads!

....and now with Hot Steeeeenking Peppers!!!

...and Muggle Made Sorting Hats
Old 2011-04-24, 10:11am
Jacqueline Parkes

Yupp a steak knife lol

I no longer use a razor blade, good luck!

Old 2011-04-24, 11:37am
Living out Loud

That was very generous of you to share your technique. Sometimes people are a bit snippy when information is requested. Your response was refreshing. Sending you the good Karma!!

Old 2011-04-24, 11:40am
Jacqueline Parkes

Well thank you but it is not my technique. I first saw beads with pleats a little over year ago and I was determined to learn it. I wonder who began this look. Does anyone know?

Old 2011-04-24, 2:17pm
Certified Glassaholic!

Michael Barley has a whole tutorial dedicated to this technique. He calls his "baleen" beads

Old 2011-04-24, 6:31pm

Michael Barley was the first I have seen to do the technique. I think this is why many people did not share how it was done. It was kinda his signature design.

If you cannot stand behind our troops, please feel free to stand in front of them.
Old 2011-04-24, 9:25pm
Born Facing Left

Yep, link to Michael's tutorial is in post 3 of this thread.

Old 2011-04-26, 8:11am
Creative Spirit

I had figured that it was Barley's technique, so I did go ahead and buy the tutorial, and it was what I was looking for! thank you everyone for the info and comments! it's so nice to have so many wonderful people to draw knowledge from!

Peace Wendy
Old 2011-04-26, 8:24am
Jacqueline Parkes

Oh it is great to know who started this technique! I often wonder about these things.

Old 2011-04-26, 10:21am
Chief Creative Goddess

I want to know how long it took to make the bead!!
I am just starting out so of course, everything takes longer...or shorter when it goes boom!!
I have to agree about all the generosity of spirit and advice, good deals and genuine warmth I have seen so far in LE. I feel very comfortable taking the answers and applying them to my 'lumps of potential'!!
Smiles, Sheri