Lampwork Etc.

TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2009-10-25, 7:02pm
Covered in glitter

Default Officially in love with BORO!

Well, I'm officially in love with the darkside. I can order soft glass by the boatload (and frequently have) but when I think about ordering boro I'm kind of lost.
If you could pick 5 or 6 colors to start a color palate of boro what would you choose? You can add more if you want but don't overwhelm me too much, OK?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

And those who were seen dancing were thought insane by those who couldn't hear the music. --Nietzsche
Old 2009-10-25, 7:08pm
Cancer SUCKS!

hmmm, crap. There is a really awesome blue that I used with Aimee in NE. Will post back if I find my notes.

It is a MUST have. I think it is a NorthStar color.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2009-10-25, 7:11pm
In search of her path....

Indigo Luster
AMazon Lagoon
Amazon Bronze
Double Amber Purple
Spring Luster
Blue Moon

Prints for sale in my
!
Old 2009-10-25, 7:11pm

I started with NorthStar sample pack. It has one of everyone of their colors. I will give you an idea of what you like and how it all looks in a piece. But that is just what I did...All the colors are awesome.
Old 2009-10-25, 7:16pm
The Battle of Boro Boro

GA Triple Passion
NS Star White or Egyptian White Sand
GA Blue Passion
Momka Purple Thunder
NS Amber Purple

Welcome!

Old 2009-10-25, 8:19pm

A couple that haven't been mentioned yet that I really like are Red Elvis and Turquesa.

Greg

A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams
Old 2009-10-25, 8:39pm
Covered in glitter

Thanks everyone. I've got a nice list now. LOL I thought about the sampler pack but I don't think I want quite that many colors. Because boro is so different from 104 in terms of reactions/colors, I need to just have a few to play with and see what I can get them to do.

And those who were seen dancing were thought insane by those who couldn't hear the music. --Nietzsche
Old 2009-10-25, 8:46pm
Cancer SUCKS!

BLUE MOON - I think thats it. I LOVE this color.

Old 2009-10-25, 9:09pm
Covered in glitter

I think I have some Blue Moon. I used it (I think) in a sea horse yesterday. Haven't seen it yet so I will be looking forward to it!

Old 2009-10-25, 9:32pm
The Battle of Boro Boro

Oh...I forgot to mention... Get one of GA's Intro packs! They are only $20 and walk you through a lot of color educations!

Old 2009-10-25, 9:43pm
Attack of the Snuggie!

Amber Purple is a must have
Red Elvis
Star White
Onyx or Jet Black (I use Onyx)
Purple Sable
Loch Ness

Depends on what you are doing I suppose but those you ought to have a lb or so of each laying around.

"I contend we are both atheists, I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."

...Stephen F Roberts
Old 2009-10-25, 11:08pm
Kobuki & DIY Homefill Sys

the follwoing NS colors are in addition to silver and gold fume:
AP
caremel/butterscotch
cobalt
red
yellow
Old 2009-10-26, 7:43am
Covered in glitter

Jamie I did get that intro pack and it was great! I'd definitely recommend it to anyone just starting in boro.

Old 2009-10-26, 5:06pm
tweetysweetie

Deb, all the glass that sleepy & if recommended are must haves, and I'm a big big Alchemy fan....when you come all the way to the dark side be sure to add some of Momka's to your palette...she has some nice colors and some premade multi colors in the same rods type thing..check out her website sometime. Ok, get to work and show us your experiments..have fun.

Old 2009-10-26, 5:07pm
Tamara Knight

when I teach a Boro class we start with 5 colors

Exotic Green- make dots on the AP or the Pomegranate
pomegranete - make into a stringer doodle on the Exotic Green it makes white lines where it touches - and also practice striking as just a red - and a red over a white core
Amber Purple to practice striking and exotic green dots on AP is cool effect
White - I like GA's white - but NS's is also good - core under AP, pom and cobalt
Cobalt - AP dots on cobalt, Exotic Green dots on cobalt - practice with reductions on not reduction flame settings

After we do the above colors everyone receives a handful of shorts to play with. Always lots of fun. A box of mystery glass is always cool.

Tamara
Old 2009-10-28, 11:01am
funny mofo

I highly recommend TAG's Elvis Red -- it strikes automatically, and is the hardest of the reds to liver. (But not impossible. Making reds go all livery and gross is one of my superpowers.)
Old 2009-10-31, 7:04am

i love mystery adventurine! and any striking color
Old 2009-10-31, 8:00am
crabby...who me?

Good job Deb,this must mean you finally have a real torch set up at your crib.I think you really should eventually try the sample packs.Sure there are a lot of colors ,but you really get to see what everything looks like without having to buy even a 1/4 lb of each.They are well worth it.
Jeff
Old 2009-10-31, 2:03pm
Covered in glitter

Dude I still don't have a torch set up at home. LOL I go to Darby's studio in Indiana every week. They live a few minutes from me so I pick Darby up and off we go. His GF gets a bit of the day to herself and we get to torch. I have 3 torches set up out there and ordered a Scorpion too. I'm nuts, huh?