Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2010-02-05, 7:36pm
one day at a time

Default Is anyone using a leaf masher tool with boro??

I just got this tool and I was thinking about using it with boro rather than soft glass. Is anyone using one for boro? It's not too stiff to use this type of masher, is it??

I'm a total boro newbie, but I did get a taste of it back in 2005 and made a few large honking beads, like 25-30mm. That's a LOT bigger than my lil' soft glass 12mm beads. LOL!

I'm using a Bobcat with a high pressure Airsep generator, so I have plenty of O2, and I can get 12-14mm rods to melt quickly enough.
Old 2010-02-05, 9:10pm
Borovangelist

You can use the bbq mashers with it, I don't see why it wouldn't work with boro.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
Old 2010-02-05, 9:20pm
one day at a time

Thanks!

Does anyone have any pictures of leaves made with this tool? Pretty please??

I did find an awesome tutorial a while back by Kalera on how to use it with soft glass. I suppose the same would be for the boro, but I wondered about pulling the point end out, because boro is certainly not going to get molten the way soft glass does.
Old 2010-02-05, 11:45pm

TimiaGlass has a youtube video of using boro leaf mashers.

Old 2010-02-06, 2:41am
Pyromaniac

These wands have petals made with a leaf masher.
You can make the tips much more pointed if you like.

Sexy Barracuda and Mirage

Old 2010-02-06, 6:01am
crabby...who me?

Why didn't you just try it with boro to see how it worked?Its simple enough to do.
Old 2010-02-06, 8:35am
Happy Beadmaker!

It works just fine! And it melts to pull a tip beautifully! Not a problem...

~
~
~
Old 2010-02-06, 9:13am

Lana, that blue flower is GORGEOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 2010-02-06, 9:42am
one day at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyroglasstic View Post
Why didn't you just try it with boro to see how it worked?Its simple enough to do.
Is there a problem with asking a question??? I don't have any boro right now because I sold it all, so before I go and spend the money, I'd like to know a few things, thank you.

To those who responded:

Thank you SO much! Now I know I can make these leaves in boro for a $$$ custom order. I have plenty of time to get it done, as it's due in May. I'll be back with pics! And Lana, that is so beautiful! Thank you for sharing!

Last edited by Lisi; 2010-02-06 at 9:49am.
Old 2010-02-06, 9:47am
Pyromaniac

Thanks Sonya!
Lisi, I've made hundreds of leaves with a masher and it is so much fun and easy, just smash them, pull out your tip or elongate the whole leaf with heat and pulling and fire polish the chill marks.

Old 2010-02-06, 10:00am
one day at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by meker View Post
TimiaGlass has a youtube video of using boro leaf mashers.
W@W, thank you so much for the link! There really are some very generous artists out there! I wish I had the time and the means to be one of them. My last videocam was stolen by an ex-roommate.

That is a wealth of info, and a big help to people like me that don't have the funds to hop on a plane to go and take a class.
Old 2010-02-06, 10:01am

These are clear boro, gold-fumed. The necklace has the leaves as they are from the masher, and the second picture shows the leaves after I "push and pull" them a bit, for a more natural appearance.
Attached Images

ebay

website New shop on website!

New Etsy shop!
Old 2010-02-06, 10:03am
Pyromaniac

Here's some more:

I love the fumed ones above!

Old 2010-02-06, 10:07am
one day at a time

Rachelle, those are drop dead gorgeous!! Wow!

Lana, the colors make me think of "Amazon", which is a bead I make in soft glass, but no way do I get those gorgeous hues! Greens are some of my favorite glass colors. These pieces are the kind of jewelry I would wear, and I don't wear anything but my wedding band.

One of the things I have thought about before was making roses with clear boro and gold fume the petal edges. I'm going to have fun with this new tool!

Last edited by Lisi; 2010-02-06 at 10:15am.
Old 2010-02-06, 10:09am
Jacqueline Parkes

Oh my!!!! These are stunning. That is it! I need to learn to make leaves. I will have my new torch up soon so I hope I can do boro leaves too. Will that much boro work on a cc mini?

Really beautiful work.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachelle View Post
These are clear boro, gold-fumed. The necklace has the leaves as they are from the masher, and the second picture shows the leaves after I "push and pull" them a bit, for a more natural appearance.

Old 2010-02-06, 10:23am
one day at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemsinbloom View Post
Oh my!!!! These are stunning. That is it! I need to learn to make leaves. I will have my new torch up soon so I hope I can do boro leaves too. Will that much boro work on a cc mini?

Really beautiful work.......
Yes, it will! I used my Mini CC to make 30mm boro honkers, round almost marble shaped beads with my oxy generator. You will be using the Mini with a concentrator, so you won't have any problems making leaves. You could make 30mm boro honkers too, but it might be slow going, but not any slower than what you are already used to.

Like I told you before, the Mini CC is an excellent torch for sculpturals because of the radiant heat. I made a 28mm rose out of Moretti with 11 petals and they never shattered and flew off while attaching each of them one by one. Everything was kept nice and toasty.

Last edited by Lisi; 2010-02-06 at 10:26am.
Old 2010-02-06, 2:23pm
Jacqueline Parkes

So Lisi, can you please tell me which leaf press that is? I wonder if it is the same one that has been discussed here before. Looks familiar and I really like it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisi View Post
Yes, it will! I used my Mini CC to make 30mm boro honkers, round almost marble shaped beads with my oxy generator. You will be using the Mini with a concentrator, so you won't have any problems making leaves. You could make 30mm boro honkers too, but it might be slow going, but not any slower than what you are already used to.

Like I told you before, the Mini CC is an excellent torch for sculpturals because of the radiant heat. I made a 28mm rose out of Moretti with 11 petals and they never shattered and flew off while attaching each of them one by one. Everything was kept nice and toasty.

Old 2010-02-06, 2:24pm
Jacqueline Parkes

Sorry Lisi, you are not the one that posted the picture of the leaves.

Old 2010-02-06, 2:42pm
Pyromaniac

These are the ones I have and usually use the V shaped ones.

Old 2010-02-06, 3:03pm
Jacqueline Parkes

Can you share the source please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginkgoglass View Post
These are the ones I have and usually use the V shaped ones.

Old 2010-02-06, 3:11pm

thank for the remarks on the fumed leaves! Lisi, fumed roses are my favourites! ( ok. I'm showing off now..)
Attached Images

ebay

website New shop on website!

New Etsy shop!
Old 2010-02-06, 3:16pm
Know-it-all Megalomaniac

Quote:
thank for the remarks on the fumed leaves! Lisi, fumed roses are my favourites! ( ok. I'm showing off now..)
TASTY!

Get your copy of the new Lampwork Etc. Tutorials and Tips Book

Old 2010-02-06, 3:17pm
Know-it-all Megalomaniac

The only thing I dislike about my leaf mashers is that
they aren't spring loaded. They sometimes lock and I
have to pry them apart. Pain in the butt.

Get your copy of the new Lampwork Etc. Tutorials and Tips Book

Old 2010-02-06, 4:25pm
Pyromaniac

I don't remember where I got mine but I know Delphi has them:

http://www.delphiglass.com/index.cfm...emsysid=190378

These are spring loaded, yay!

Old 2010-02-06, 5:32pm
one day at a time

Quote:
Oooooooeeeeee!!!! (THUD)

That's what I envisioned!! Meaning, that hopefully some day I could do that....it is SO gorgeous!!!

You can show off all you want!!
Old 2010-02-09, 11:24am

Love all the pictures of the uses.. I too make flowers out of mine Here's a couple of pictures of the "Yard Art" I make and put colorful leaves on them.
These are actually butterfly feeders.
The leaf masher I use is a rounder one, that I have someone make for us because the leaf shape is better for making mum flowers.
Attached Images

Old 2010-02-09, 5:51pm
Pyromaniac

Hey leaf lovers, look at this Winship sale I saw on Facebook :

Winship Glasscraft Make your valentine a glass flower with these items from our 1 day Valentine sale Wednesday 2-10-10 only. 40% off the following items - Good on walk in or call in orders only.

item # 21200 Angle Leaf Masher or item # 21300 flat Leaf Masher reg. $10.95 sale. $6.57 each

http://www.winshipdesigns.com/home/w...?keywords=leaf

Old 2010-02-09, 6:00pm
one day at a time

Sunray, those are beautiful! Look at the colors in the pic on the right, wow!!
Old 2010-02-16, 6:23pm
Life is good

Hi Lisi,
I am really new to this site and beadmaking in general. I did boro years ago and we used leaf smashers all the time. The only problems we had then was the glass sticking to the mashers. We used Bees Wax for this problem. Just put a little on the smashers and run it lightly through the flame to melt, then smash away. I hope this helps, and I'm sure there may be better ways to deal with this now days. I was over 20 years ago when I did this. Anyway good luck

Old 2010-02-16, 6:31pm
Life is good

Oh I just saw Rachelle's fumed rose. I kind of made a combo rose that is boro. It's really not the quality that I see here, but keep in mind that I am a newbie.