Lampwork Etc.

TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2009-11-18, 1:49pm

Default black goes hazy near strikng colors

Hi, I am finding that my black bases of Momka black rose are going hazy near striking colors, as you can see in the picture. I don't want this, I want a clean black base. I understand that this effect may be pretty on some beads, but it distracts from the pattern on these beads. Is there a brand of black that does NOT have this effect when used near striking colors? Thank you, Cynthia in Australia
Attached Images

Last edited by kirrakat123; 2009-11-18 at 1:57pm. Reason: forgot picture
Old 2009-11-18, 2:33pm
funny mofo

The problem is not the black, it's that the silver color is fuming the background color. You could probably try burning off all the haze, letting it cool, and then re-striking.
Old 2009-11-18, 3:26pm
The Battle of Boro Boro

Exactly what AuntD just mentioned.

The other thing that could cause this is that the black is providing insulation to the striking color...and not allowing the color to fully strike out on it's edges.

Either way, you have to cook off the haze to relieve the problem.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2009-11-19, 6:44am
Borovangelist

You might try giving it a good buffing too. Sometimes silver fume can rub right off if it hasn't been reduced in.

As an odd aside....I had something I had put into the kiln that I was repairing. I realized too late I had forgotten to take my white out price tag off the bottom before I brought it to temp, and now there's a kind of neat milky white fumy haze on the bottom half of the piece. I'm sure the stuff's toxic and I wouldn't do it again, but I thought it was interesting

|
|
Old 2009-11-19, 9:16am
Attack of the Snuggie!

It is the fuming from the striking colors. Silver strike 3 and 5 love to do this especially if it the bottom dot. I kinda actually like it at times. If it gets on the clear of the marble then its a bigger problem

"I contend we are both atheists, I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."

...Stephen F Roberts
Old 2009-11-19, 4:38pm
ManBearPig

Use more oxygen and burn off the haze.

Although, I have to admit, I like the haze...