Lampwork Etc.

Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2009-12-14, 6:45pm
Marbles, dude, Marbles

Default Hole in Seafloor - Version 1

This is my first version of a seafloor with a hole in it. My daughter said 'Dad - call it an abyss; sounds better'. So, Seafloor Abyss it is. In a future version the hole will be a decent vortex, or maybe not. An abyss can be cool.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2009-12-14, 9:12pm

looking good
bigger pictures please

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

------------------------
Kobuki*Delta Elite*Mirage*Blast Shields*two DeVilbiss 5 LPM* tanks* foot pedal.
Old 2009-12-15, 12:09am
Harold Williams Cooney

^^^^ ditto

American Trade Bead Food Program; Necklace auctions
, entertainment that improves Colorado.
Old 2009-12-15, 6:20am
Pyromaniac

Yeah, it's driving me crazy that I can't see into the abyss.

Sexy Barracuda and Mirage

Old 2009-12-15, 7:21am
Marbles, dude, Marbles

I can't figure out how to get the pictures bigger. When I take them they are like 1200kb and after I get them down to 80kb, and then make them bigger they look like crap. I would greatly appreciate someone telling me how to get them bigger. I use Corel Paint Shop Pro X to do my resizing. On my computer I blow up a full 1200kb picture, crop it to get a good view down the abyss, and I set it as my desktop. But how do I blow up an 80kb picture and keep it clear and detailed?

Old 2009-12-15, 10:55am

i post pictures that i reduce to 600x 400 and these generally fall into the max limit one can post on the forum. when i take a picture on my fuji camera they are studio format ( huge) and i reduce that picture down, save the reduced picture under another name so that the original is saved. i down loaded a free picture resizer, seems simple enough to use. called Mihov Image Resizer and i believe i got it off of the download.com site.

I dont know squat about this stuff sooooo.....

------------------------
Kobuki*Delta Elite*Mirage*Blast Shields*two DeVilbiss 5 LPM* tanks* foot pedal.
Old 2009-12-16, 8:33am
Pyromaniac

Seems like you may just be missing a step with those photos using corel...Never fear, though! There are 2 options that you can use, one is "easy" and one is more technical (using corel-draw)... both sets of tools are useful, and can be used in combination as well.

1. Easy Method:

Download the Microsoft Image Resizer, which is one of the PowerToys for Windows XP. While you're there poke around a bit, they have some nifty little computer tools there - you may have another "ah-hah!" moment.

The image resizer integrates into the context menu, so when you right click on pictures in windows explorer you have an option to resize images. When you click on that, a menu pops up, but it's pretty self explanatory. Resizing to 640x480 typically yields an image file size under the 80kb limit with no noticeable artifacting or jaggies.

You may want to pre-crop the photos to be resized using the image editing software of your choice, rather than just resizing the original image directly off of the camera.

2. Technical Method (Corel Photopaint 8, your version of Corel may vary but the concepts are typically similar across all editing software):

a. Create a copy of your original photo and rename it. This way if you mess up somehow you will always have the original. I typically just add "edited" to the file name of the second image at this point, although you could copy and paste the images to be edited into a folder of their own instead.

b. Open the copy of your picture in Corel Photopaint, Crop, adjust levels and otherwise manipulate the image to suit.

c. On the top menu bar, under the "image" heading, choose "resample" and set the largest value (length or width) to 640 pixels (change the unit to pixels if necessary) if necessary (your camera may take the pictures at the correct resolution already although it's time for a new camera if so), making sure that "maintain aspect ratio" is checked. If the photo is to be used for the web, be sure to set the dpi or resolution value to 72 dpi (if it isn't already), as this drastically affects file size.

d. Save your picture - at this point you will be given options for compression. I find that 20-30% compression has very little effect on the final product for web applications. Use the lowest amount of compression which will yield a file size under 80k. The dialogue box should inform you of your finished product size, although there may be a button you need to push (in Corel Photopaint 8 you need to hit "preview" for it to recalculate the file size).

e. Check your photo file size in windows explorer, and preview it in the windows picture and fax viewer (default windows picture interface under XP, available in the context menu under "open with" if the default has been changed by certain control-freak software packages). If the file size is too big, you may need to add more compression, crop more, etc. You may want to start over, as well (you did save your original right?) depending on how your final product looks.

Fortune Cookie say, "When things go wrong, don't go with them!"

Current Glass-Melting Apparatus:
GTT Lynx powered by 2 5 LPM Oxycons and
a sexy Barracuda running pure tanked Oxy

Last edited by Bunyip; 2009-12-16 at 8:36am.
Old 2009-12-16, 7:11pm

Default Paint Shop Pro X Image Resizer

I use Paint Shop Pro X2 but it is very similar in Paint Shop Pro X.

Image drop down menu to Resize (or Shift-S)

On the panel that opens up:

Locate the check box for "Lock aspect ratio" and check it. That will keep the original shape of the photograph.

"Resize all layers" (just below the aspect ratio) should also be checked.

In the area labeled "Print Size":
Be sure the box to the right shows Inches
Set the width to 7 inches -- the height will adjust accordingly because of the aspect ratio.

Set the "Resolution" to 72.000 and the box to the right of that should read "Pixels / Inch". Click "OK" and you will generally have a picture that will load to LE and will be large enough to see it clearly.

The key to this is setting the resolution to 72 pixels per inch which is the web standard. Do this with a copy of the original picture so you can resize another copy for printing at 300 or 600 pixes per inch.

Here is a sample of one that I posted earlier -- it was originally 826K (3025 x 1988 ) and it reduced to 59.7 KB (514 x 388 )

Feel free to PM me if you need more info.
Fred