Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Old 2012-04-26, 5:08pm

Default Tutorials

Isn't there an old adage that says: " Those that can, do. Those that can't, teach." Five years ago you could find lots of tutorials here and most of them were free. Now it is rare to find a free tutorial.

If you you see a bead you like, try to figure out how to make it. You will learn far more than you would from a tutorial.

And forget about all the BS that you may be stealing somone else's design.
There are no beads on this site that haven't already been made sometime in the last 2,000 years.
Old 2012-04-26, 5:32pm
Storm Queen

I bet you're a blast at parties.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2012-04-26, 5:58pm
What was I thinking?

Those who believe that old adage:

1. haven't taken a look at the remarkable beads made by the tutorial writers who offer their expertise here on this forum and in their tutorials.

2. haven't read these tutorials, which offer much more than how to make a particular bead. Good tutorials cover dozens of techniques.

3. don't understand that good teachers in any field have already mastered not only what they make/process/do, but they know how to communicate that as well.

I'll probably never get to meet and make beads with most of the people I admire on this forum, but I appreciate the fact that they are willing to share some of their expertise for around $20. The tutorials I have bought from lampworkers who feature their work here (or not) have been wonderful additions to my own experimentation.

Old 2012-04-26, 6:00pm
Loving learning

I appreciate the free tutorials, but I've also bought tutorials and have no problem paying the authors for all the time & experimentation they did to develop the technique (new or rediscovered or new way of doing something old, doesn't matter if I didn't know how to do it) and also their time & trouble to do the write up and take the photos, etc.

Some things I discover on my own, other things I'm glad to learn from someone who already has the knowledge & is willing to share. If I don't think it is worth the money I don't buy.
Old 2012-04-26, 6:09pm
Storm Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by riosanjuan View Post
Five years ago you could find lots of tutorials here and most of them were free. Now it is rare to find a free tutorial.
To just post this like it's a fact is just plain wrong. There is a whole room full of over 400 free tutorials. A couple of years ago there was one big room here where everything was listed. It got spit up into different sections to make it easier to find everything and to make it easier for people like you just to surf for free tutorials. I'm the person that moved all of the threads. I only deleted threads that had dead links and that was only after Googling and researching to make sure I couldn't find a new link. The free tutorial section has only grow since then. So for you to say "it's rare to find a free tutorial".....you must be joking.

Old 2012-04-26, 6:43pm
Glass Gaga

Being the tutorial junkie that I am, I can honestly say that I have learned something new from each one I have, whether purchased or free. There is a lot of lampworking knowledge out there... And this is a big world. A well written tut with good photos is far cheaper than paying travel expenses.....I appreciate the fact that our fellow beadists are willing to share, so I don't mind sharing some cash in return.

Minor with an M10 oxycon
Flamin' when not beachin'
Old 2012-04-26, 7:05pm
Storm Queen

I'm not sure this thread is worth the attention. The op averages one post every 6 months. Maybe they should contribute here more and start with writing a few free tutorials.

Old 2012-04-26, 8:24pm
Puddy Cat Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKDesigns View Post
I'm not sure this thread is worth the attention. The op averages one post every 6 months. Maybe they should contribute here more and start with writing a few free tutorials.
I second that Amy. I've written free tuts, one pay for tut, I've downloaded the tuts I want that are free, and I've paid for several of the tuts I want. So I just think that this original poster must not appreciate that tutorials "TAKE TIME!!!!" and "ENERGY!!!"", and all the "BRAIN POWER" you can muster up if glass beads is not your full time job, or even if it is. 11 posts hmmm Maybe I'll go fly a plane tomorrow. FOR THE FIRST TIME!!!!
(That was sarcasm) SOOOOO unlike me.

J.

Old 2012-04-26, 9:54pm

Wow, somebody was having a bad day. Bless each and every one of you who are willing to teach. It is the oldest tradition in the world, to pass on the knowledge of the masters to those willing and able to learn. In most societies throughout history, learning has required payment in one form or another. I am honored to learn from any of you who are gracious enough to take the time out from your own schedules to build tutorials, and I pay for them whenever I can, happily.

The best way to find yourself is to lose yourself in the service of others.
Old 2012-04-27, 5:00am
Puddy Cat Lover

And one more thing. Knowledge is a precious commodity. Free or not, people can, and do, make money with the knowledge that is shared here. To show such a callous regard for the people who charge for "PRECIOUS KNOWLEDGE" is so un-insightful. Shame, shame, SHAME!!!!

Okay, sneaking away now to make some Storm or Webbed beads. Thank you Amy!!!

J.

Old 2012-04-27, 5:30am

I have to agree a free tutorials is nice and from reading your post here I can see they are important to you. but you missed one, possibly the most important one. Well it is a book that includes a tutorial within it. It is my belief that you would benefit greatly from it. The book is "How to WIN Friends & Influence People.

I am including a link for you here http://www.amazon.com/How-Win-Friend.../dp/0671723650 They even have it for your kindle.

If you do not wish to pay for a copy I would suggest you go to your local library where you can borrow one to read. I feel once you have read the book you will be better able to see why so many here find your first post so offensiveness.

You will find this forum full of very helpful, caring members that if approached in the correct way, will help anyone. But for now the best advice I think I can give is, READ THE BOOK!

Last edited by Chuck Cobb; 2012-04-27 at 5:34am.
Old 2012-04-27, 5:32am
~ a.k.a. Sharlee22 ~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Cobb View Post
I have to agree a free tutorials is nice and from reading your post here I can see they are important to you. but you missed one, possibly the most important one. Well it is a book that includes a tutorial within it. It is my belief that you would benefit greatly from it. The book is "How to WIN Friends & Influence People.

I am including a link for you here http://www.amazon.com/How-Win-Friend.../dp/0671723650 They even have it for your kindle.

If you do not wish to pay for a copy I would suggest you go to your local library where you can borrow one to read. I feel once you have read the book you will be better able to see why so many here find you first post so offensiveness.

You will find this forum full of very helpful, caring member that if approached in the correct way, will help anyone. But for now the best advise I think I can give is, read the book!
AMEN!

Old 2012-04-27, 7:00am
traumaqueen

Location: Utrecht, a town in The Netherlands, close to amsterdam

Quote:
Originally Posted by riosanjuan View Post
Isn't there an old adage that says: " Those that can, do. Those that can't, teach." Five years ago you could find lots of tutorials here and most of them were free. Now it is rare to find a free tutorial.

If you you see a bead you like, try to figure out how to make it. You will learn far more than you would from a tutorial.

And forget about all the BS that you may be stealing somone else's design.
There are no beads on this site that haven't already been made sometime in the last 2,000 years.

And then there is those who do, and teach. Payed, and for free.
So chill out, have a Heineken.

Old 2012-04-27, 7:00am
~ a.k.a. Sharlee22 ~

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzanne View Post
So chill out, have a Heineken.

Old 2012-04-27, 7:12am
Jacqueline Parkes

Her post inspired me to purchase two more tutorials, thanks! Btw, you suck at trolling.

Old 2012-04-27, 7:30am

I have been deep in many expensive hobbies in my lifetime, and this is the only one where the others in the hobby try to sell their knowledge.
Old 2012-04-27, 7:40am
~ a.k.a. Sharlee22 ~

Quote:
Originally Posted by willieswonder View Post
I have been deep in many expensive hobbies in my lifetime, and this is the only one where the others in the hobby try to sell their knowledge.
Indeed!!!! when searching for tutorials on Etsy ... All lampwork!!

http://www.etsy.com/search/handmade?...ery&ship_to=US

Old 2012-04-27, 7:45am
Jacqueline Parkes

Oh man, now I am going to be buying jewelry tutorials today as well, thanks Elizabeth!

Old 2012-04-27, 7:46am
Loving learning

To think I've been paying to go to pottery class all these years when there were people just waiting for me to come & let them teach me!
Old 2012-04-27, 8:01am

Just be grateful

- that a place like this exists where you can learn about your passion
- that there are people who are willing to give their time to run this forum, answer questions, and teach
- that you can benefit from a huge pool of experienced glass artists simply be researching this forum or asking a question

What more could you ask for? - and it's all FREEEEEEEEE! - the way you like it

But at some point you may decide that there is a particular technique you'd like to learn a bit more about - I bet there'll will be both free and paid tutorials for you - thanks to the gracious members here or at other forums like Melting pot, ISGB, and WetCanvas.

Even if you don't necessarily want to pay for a tutorial - have you considered that they're part of the economics of this forum - they're part of what keeps this community going - would you support your fellow glass artist knowing that it will come back to you tenfold

I started lamping about 9 months ago and LE has been my constant companion. Every question I've had - there's been an answer here. When I started I didn't even know what a mandrel was, now I have a properly vented workspace with some decent tools and I'm starting to make things I thought would take years to get to

Thanks to all the LE members!!

and be grateful . . .
Attached Images

Old 2012-04-27, 8:02am
traumaqueen

Quote:
This might be because it's not a hobby but a job. Some people make beads for a living.

Old 2012-04-27, 8:04am
traumaqueen

And about free information is concerned... I've been making beads for a long time now. Long before tutorials were available. Heck, Etsy didn't exist, LE didn't exist. I learned everything from reading, searching, and by the grace of many many people ( who are member here today) who were kind enough to share their knowledge for free. I still buy tutorials, to support the artist who writes them, because IMO 20 something dollar is a steal for the information people share in their tutorials.

Old 2012-04-27, 8:09am

So Willie - with the statement above, I assume you do not charge for being a shop teacher. You teach for free, of course.

Glass work may be a hobby for you, but there are MANY people here that are professionals and make beads for a living, charging for their beads, their classes and their written tutorials (but you wouldn't know about that because you share your knowledge and teach for free, right??).

Even if people do not charge directly for their knowledge, if they write and publish in hobby magazines, books, etc, they generally get paid for that. They usually do not share their knowledge for free. This applies to almost any hobby I have ever been involved with, and there have been a few.

To the OP, there is still a tremendous amount of free information on this site and on other sites. It is free, but you might have to actually expend some effort and look for it. It is free, so don't expect people to hand it to you with no effort on your part.

By the way, have YOU written any free tutorials for others to use, or have you only benefited from the efforts of other people? If you have not written and shared anything, then I would say that you have no right to complain.
Old 2012-04-27, 8:28am

What a tool! I suggest you walk away from the computer and go down and make a Armadillo bead, or flower implosion, or one of those so easy webb or stormed beads!
Old 2012-04-27, 8:57am

Ok, so now that things have aired. I want to say a big thank you to ALL that have published a tutorial, free or pay. I am new to this (yes, expensive) new adventure and I have no one anywhere near me to answer questions or help me with learning. This site and these people have been so much help and support. Yes, I could have bought a book and melted a huge amount of glass to learn what I found in min. on this site. I work full time so my time on the torch if very limited and I want to get as much as I can out of it each time. I own and operate a gallery/workshop and we also teach as well as give information away to help our customers to help them. Everyone is entitled to their opinions.
So here is mine.
THANK YOU to you all for a wonderful site and friends.
Old 2012-04-27, 9:23am

I too have learned so much from this sight that there are not enough hours in the day to express how thiankful I am to everyone on here for their generous time and skills. I have gotten a lot off the free tutorials but have also bought several and there are so many more that I want to buy! For me - the number one reason that I like to buy tuts is that there is SO much more info in techniques used that can be applied to other beads and that makes these tuts invaluable! For everyone to put their time and effort into writting tuts is amazing to me and I will gladly pay. Besides - I like drooling at the pics that come with the tuts! I put the pages in sleeves so that when I start to drool I don't ruin the pages LOL! Gems In Blooms flower tut is a perfect example LOL!

So, I also, want to give my heartfelt THANK YOU to everyone here for your willingness to help and answer my questions and sell me your tutorials!!!

LynieG
Old 2012-04-27, 9:44am
Storm Queen

Poet, I'm going to be a bit more specific than you were. You see everyone, Willie is a high school shop teacher, teaching cabinetry and metalworking. Do you do that for free Willie? Otherwise you would be selling your knowledge...right?

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...57&postcount=1
Quote:
I teach Engineering, Cabinetry and Metalworking at a local High School

Old 2012-04-27, 10:10am
Jacqueline Parkes

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKDesigns View Post
Poet, I'm going to be a bit more specific than you were. You see everyone, Willie is a high school shop teacher, teaching cabinetry and metalworking. Do you do that for free Willie? Otherwise you would be selling your knowledge...right?

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...57&postcount=1
Oh snap! lol

Old 2012-04-27, 10:48am
Shelarious

Entitlement...

makes me so annoyed with the human race.

I compare glass w/ the music world a lot b/c I lived there for a long time. I remember paying $120 for hour music lessons. Should that have been free? Sure as hell not. And I can't even imagine acting so entitled as to expect free lessons.

People are messed up.

Old 2012-04-27, 11:13am
Mary Lockwood

Quote:
Woodworking patterns and instruction books
Sewing patterns and instruction books and teachers
Knitting Instruction books and patterns and teachers
Painting Instruction books and teachers
Crochet
Jewelry Making
Hat Making
Pottery
Ceramics
Metal work

I'm trying to think of all the hobbies I've ever had and I've never done anything where there wasn't knowledge available both for free and for sale.

What expensive hobbies did you do that you got everything for free? I really missed that boat.

Besides, this isn't a hobby for everyone.

~~Mary