Lampwork Etc.

Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2009-11-11, 9:58pm
Attack of the Snuggie!

Default Please Explain Unexplainium the Challenge

I just bought a lot of unexplainium and am trying to find uses and combos for it that are interesting. Pictures are very welcome and the best answer / pictures wins 2 free rods of unexpalinium to play with themselves.

So theres the challenge what have you got?

"I contend we are both atheists, I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."

...Stephen F Roberts
Old 2009-11-12, 12:30am
Harold Williams Cooney

1) make 'wide band' latachino cane (one wide stripe of colors, three or four rakes wide) on a clear 19mm rod, unabtain, then white, then unabtain. clear case (do this in three layers, so that you have white in the middle of your unubtain, cobalt 5 or turbo on the edges looks nice). pull to 7mm rods. cut rods to 2.5" pieces.

2) stick stack those pieces, 9 up looks good and is a nice small size tube to work with. melt in, blow out to even cup shape, fill will fine frit as background. melt in. make tube shape.

3) tube incase that prep with clear tubing.

4 make into bead.

notes:

1) keep kiln low
2) this is a 'once through' project if you want it to go smoothly; have all your prep and necessary handles ready.
3) terminated end is the money, look to stick termination at focal point; facing buyer.

not as hard as you think.

American Trade Bead Food Program; Necklace auctions
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, entertainment that improves Colorado.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by HWCGlass; 2009-11-12 at 1:32am.
Old 2009-11-12, 6:23am
Pyromaniac

I can explain Unobtanium,
Unexplanium, regretfully:
Not so muchium.

Fortune Cookie say, "When things go wrong, don't go with them!"

Current Glass-Melting Apparatus:
GTT Lynx powered by 2 5 LPM Oxycons and
a sexy Barracuda running pure tanked Oxy
Old 2009-11-12, 6:43am
I'm the 1000th poster!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HWCGlass View Post
1) make 'wide band' latachino cane (one wide stripe of colors, three or four rakes wide) on a clear 19mm rod, unabtain, then white, then unabtain. clear case (do this in three layers, so that you have white in the middle of your unubtain, cobalt 5 or turbo on the edges looks nice). pull to 7mm rods. cut rods to 2.5" pieces.

2) stick stack those pieces, 9 up looks good and is a nice small size tube to work with. melt in, blow out to even cup shape, fill will fine frit as background. melt in. make tube shape.

4 make into bead.

notes:

1) keep kiln low
2) this is a 'once through' project if you want it to go smoothly; have all your prep and necessary handles ready.
3) terminated end is the money, look to stick termination at focal point; facing buyer.

Holy crap. I now know I no speaky boro.

Old 2009-11-12, 7:40am
"....Oh Honey!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by HWCGlass View Post

4 make into bead.

notes:

1) keep kiln low

Oh my head...Dude, I need a visual. Lemme read that four more times.

dvd now available

Old 2009-11-12, 8:34am
Covered in glitter

Phew...I thought it was just my old brain having another fart.

And those who were seen dancing were thought insane by those who couldn't hear the music. --Nietzsche
Old 2009-11-12, 11:04pm
Attack of the Snuggie!

Looks like Harold is the only playa so far.

Pulled the cane. One as a twisty and one as a straight pull. Thought I'd alternate the canes in the stickstack and give it a whirl.

"I contend we are both atheists, I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."

...Stephen F Roberts
Old 2009-11-12, 11:45pm
traumaqueen

Location: Utrecht, a town in The Netherlands, close to amsterdam

roflol Harold....I got some of it but dude you've got some serious action going on in that posting lol, I'd love to see how your beads made this way turned out because frankly... I have no idea what they would look like !

Old 2009-11-13, 12:03am
Know-it-all Megalomaniac

Take a rod of white, and cover it with Unexplainium. Pull it out and use the
resulting stringer to draw on inside out beads. Makes some really beautiful
soft colors. You can vary this by using different light colors (other than white).
Periwinkle, yellow, etc. Also works great for making flowers in marbles.

(Someone else showed me how to use this glass, I'm not the originator -
but I can't remember who it was . If I'm chosen, and I remember
I'll split it with them ).

Get your copy of the new Lampwork Etc. Tutorials and Tips Book

Old 2009-11-13, 10:00am

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierces*designs View Post
Holy crap. I now know I no speaky boro.
But, I thought I did. After that, not quite sure. Will have to read several times to fully absorb.

Greg

A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams
Old 2009-11-13, 12:45pm

like the zanfirico bead, upper left.

Old 2009-11-13, 2:12pm
Karen James

Harold, what???
Jiley, WOW!

Karen

Cricket, Mini CC, Devilbiss MC84 Oxy and NG
Old 2009-11-13, 6:43pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiley View Post
like the zanfirico bead, upper left.

Im not much of a bead person, but holy mother of mary those are amazing

hwcglass
could you please explain this

seems like a clear enough statement, just got lost on the first sentence. everything after that i understand

------------------------
Kobuki*Delta Elite*Mirage*Blast Shields*two DeVilbiss 5 LPM* tanks* foot pedal.
Old 2009-11-13, 6:59pm

so rather than edit my above post Ill add this
I looked up zanfirico glass work and came upon this
http://www.glassartists.org/Img48581...8581_IGP19.asp
May I say HWCglass, or Harold out standing work. I am sorry I did not see the contention at first. damn just top rate work. it is work like this that makes researching glass a pleasure and working with it a blast

------------------------
Kobuki*Delta Elite*Mirage*Blast Shields*two DeVilbiss 5 LPM* tanks* foot pedal.

Last edited by murf; 2009-11-13 at 7:01pm.
Old 2009-11-14, 9:05am
Yup.

This is Harold, Jiley's post too. In CA at BABE. The above link is what i'm talking about, but these have no outer clear coat. Very old pic it feels like.

Good luck. Don't forget you pi measurer.

Hh

~
~
Old 2009-11-15, 6:09am

I'm sorry, but I just can't follow what's going on. I've read Harold's instruction a dozen times and each time it's like my cell phone is breaking up - only every other word comes through. I'm missing something here.

Greg

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams
Old 2009-11-15, 12:24pm
ManBearPig

Quote:
Originally Posted by getdul981 View Post
I'm sorry, but I just can't follow what's going on. I've read Harold's instruction a dozen times and each time it's like my cell phone is breaking up - only every other word comes through. I'm missing something here.

Greg
I'll show you some time. Not that I can pull it off as cleanly as Harold does it or anything, but at least you can see the process...

Old 2009-11-15, 2:41pm

Great!

Greg

Old 2009-11-15, 3:27pm
I'm the 1000th poster!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmo View Post
I'll show you some time. Not that I can pull it off as cleanly as Harold does it or anything, but at least you can see the process...
Me too please!

Old 2009-11-15, 4:02pm

I don't know anything about this stuff, but did find this link here.
http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=34705
Old 2009-11-15, 10:05pm
Attack of the Snuggie!

I saw that. Very cool pendant. I have to saw I suck at imploding twisties into pendants. Mine always distort badly. Guess I'm not patient enough with them or something.

...Stephen F Roberts
Old 2009-11-16, 11:33am

Word. This is Harold.

"Wide band" cane is shop speak for a very common cane set up. In my studio we speak of simple twisted line canes in terms of the clock. For example; 2 up would be two lines, one at noon one at 6. 4 up would be one at 12, 3, 6 and 9 o'clock. A 'tight 4' would be four line close together, say 12, 1, 2 and 3 o'clock.

Wide band is a layered cane. In my example above, three layers. The un-ex then white then un-ex. So one makes a 'wide band' of un-ex (say three of four rakes wide) were all the rake touch, then covers that in white, then covers that in un-ex. CB5 on left and right to frame it out. Clear case.

Old 2009-11-16, 1:23pm
Karen James

Ahhh! Sorry about the mix-up on the kudo's Harold. Love your work! Also, even though I am working soft glass, I understand the above now! Thanks.

Karen

Cricket, Mini CC, Devilbiss MC84 Oxy and NG
Old 2009-11-17, 6:36am

Is there a school for borospeak???

Old 2009-11-18, 6:04pm
Harold Williams Cooney

so . . . anyone try it?

American Trade Bead Food Program; Necklace auctions
, entertainment that improves Colorado.
Old 2009-11-18, 6:32pm
Attack of the Snuggie!

I might tomorrow. I have the canes pulled but I need to come see you in Utah and learn how to melt down a stick stack better. I have rod marbles pretty well figured out but tubing is still dicey for me.

...Stephen F Roberts
Old 2009-11-18, 6:33pm
Attack of the Snuggie!

Oh and I'll bring you some sticks of unexplainium with me

...Stephen F Roberts
Old 2009-11-23, 12:04pm
Attack of the Snuggie!

1/2 lb of some misc colors including 2 sticks of unexplainium headed your way to play with Harold you are the wiener

...Stephen F Roberts
Old 2009-11-23, 6:00pm
Pyromaniac

guess my pome doesn't get an honorable mention

Fortune Cookie say, "When things go wrong, don't go with them!"

Current Glass-Melting Apparatus:
GTT Lynx powered by 2 5 LPM Oxycons and
a sexy Barracuda running pure tanked Oxy
Old 2009-11-23, 6:57pm
Attack of the Snuggie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunyip View Post
guess my pome doesn't get an honorable mention
Had it been a proper Haiku then it might have worked

...Stephen F Roberts