Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials

Old 2007-09-23, 5:40pm
Mama said

Default Antique Key Beads???

I have the key. I have the glass. I know how to make beads.

But how the heck do you make the beads on the keys?? I've thought and thought about how to turn the key so that the bead wouldn't be all wonky.

What do you use to hold the key in the flame??

Thanks!

~Michelle
Old 2007-09-23, 5:57pm
Entropy increasing....

Hi Michelle!

If you want the bead to remain stationary on the key, you can just punty a rod up to the pointy end of the key. Just heat up a rod and heat up the end of the key while holding it in a pair of pliers. When they are hot enough they will stick together. Then just put it in the kiln afterwards still on the rod.

Or, if you want the bead to slide on the key, dip it in bead release first. Then you will have to clean it all off, but the bead will slide if you do that.

Old 2007-09-23, 6:19pm
Mama said

Thank you so much, Kevan!!

The "punty factor"....no wonder I couldn't figure it out.....I am so ON mandrel!

~Michelle
Old 2007-09-23, 7:46pm
Entropy increasing....

Well....my husband figured it out. lol
Old 2007-09-23, 7:56pm

ahhhhh lol

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

R-118
Old 2007-09-23, 8:46pm
Broken

I have been trying to figure this out for weeks now. I'd never have thought to punty up to the key

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2007-09-23, 8:48pm
Ghost Town Glass

Thank you, Kevan. I was kinda stumped on that one...

Old 2007-09-24, 4:49am

I confess! Jayne's keys intrigued me so I found a couple of old keys and tried this. I do it different though. I just used long hemostats and clamped onto the end of the key. I turn it to make sure I've got it exactly centered and my hemostats become the mandrel handle. Seems to work well but I did unclamp them by accident and dropped a key on rug once.

I've gone on to electroform the keys. Copper is just too bright so I'm waiting to make a boro-hanging-thingy to put inside my baggie to patina the keys. Maybe a bit of age to the copper will improve them. (Just haven't gotten around to making the thingy but I know what it looks like in my mind!)

Sue
and the present is a gift.
Old 2007-09-26, 5:40pm
Jan and Quincy

I've been thinking about this, too. I never thought about the sliding bead, though. I was going to try an alligator clip to hold the key--I've got one of those one handed bracelet grabber things I was going to try. I've used it with short twistie pieces before and it worked great. Just wish it would get cooler here. Electroforming, now that is a thought, a good thought.

Lives with professional Hunny Berder.
Old 2007-09-26, 6:41pm

My friend puts a bunch of bead release on a mandrel and sticks it in the "tube" of the key. Then waits to be sure the bead release is really dry so it doesn't pop.
Old 2007-09-26, 6:58pm
Mama said

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyPhelps View Post
My friend puts a bunch of bead release on a mandrel and sticks it in the "tube" of the key. Then waits to be sure the bead release is really dry so it doesn't pop.
I love this idea! I'm punty-skeered.

~Michelle
Old 2007-09-26, 7:30pm
phrit phreak

I use straight hemostats as a mandrel extension. I don't use bead release because I like mine stationary. I just heat the key and add glass.

Old 2007-09-26, 8:07pm

Wow thats so cool looking!

: Friendly site for reserving spots in Group Magazine Ads.
Connect with me:

Old 2007-09-26, 8:37pm
Entropy increasing....

I've tried the sticking it on with bead release. It's really hard not to get a wonky mandrel effect. The punty with a rod of glass has worked best. I just wish he had not done it the first time with a rod of R4 glass.

I'm wanting to electroform them also. I just got my juice so I'm ready to go. I have an idea that I think will be pretty cool. Then I'll do a tut on it.
Old 2007-09-26, 8:41pm
Entropy increasing....

Also, I had a really nice looking key that turned out not to be made of iron. When I went to heat it it immediately started melting. Looked like mercury. Boo...
Old 2007-09-26, 10:16pm
Burn baby, burn

Default lead keys?

I saw some keys at Michael's last night and thought about getting some to play, but then saw the safety label had a lead warning!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevan View Post
Also, I had a really nice looking key that turned out not to be made of iron. When I went to heat it it immediately started melting. Looked like mercury. Boo...
Old 2007-09-27, 3:03am
a pox upon an idiot :..

I've been making these key beads for a long time and they've been a good seller for me at my shows over the years, well, until I run out of time looking for keys! (Anyone have extras they want to get rid of)!

I use a hollow mandrel to hold the key. I use a hacksaw, or you could use the cutting wheel from your dremel to cut a notch down the end of the hollow mandrel, then I stick the round part of the key in the slit and give it a squeeze with a pair of pliers. It holds the key well and for me, makes it easier to get a nice round bead.

If you want the bead to be able to slide, double or even triple coat, (depending on your release), the key shaft, it makes it so much easier to clean out the release if there is a little "wiggle room" between the bead and the shaft. An opaque base looks much better than a tranparent and hides the rusty look of the key beneath the bead, but there are alot of ways to hide it, like using dichro on top of a transparent, or frit for a floral base.
Hollows look really cool, especially if you make them over a solid bead on one of the regular long skeleton keys, but take a bit of time to clean!

Edie
Old 2007-09-27, 8:19am

I've been using a bead release covered mandrel in the hole at the end of the key. Works great.
Old 2007-09-27, 9:33am
Jan and Quincy

Hey, Kevan, do you punty up with a glass rod even if the key is an open barrel type of key? And has anyone used a brass key or just steel? I've got both to try. I'm going to give it a go this weekend. Just a smidge nervous. I've got one wonky key I'm going to try first so if I screw it up I won't feel too bad!

Lives with professional Hunny Berder.
Old 2007-09-27, 11:48am
FireBeads

I made a bunch of these years ago and gave up....all the beads I put directly onto the key eventually broke. I assumed it was incompatiblity between the key and the glass. Anyone else have breaking issues?

I liked the loose ones but they were never that loose - thanks for the tip to double/triple dip the bead release (duh). Maybe I'll try it again.

Linda
Old 2007-09-27, 12:06pm
Entropy increasing....

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassGourd View Post
Hey, Kevan, do you punty up with a glass rod even if the key is an open barrel type of key? And has anyone used a brass key or just steel? I've got both to try. I'm going to give it a go this weekend. Just a smidge nervous. I've got one wonky key I'm going to try first so if I screw it up I won't feel too bad!

Yes, one key ended up with a little ball of glass in side of the end. lol

I like to make the beads slide. If they have a hole in the end you can dip them in bead release and stick a mandrel with bead release in the hole. That works pretty good, but I have yet to get one perfectly straight. Not that it's too wonky to make a simple bead on or anything. Also, I oil the keys afterwards. I put mine in my tumbler with some sand (I have an unending supply of sand) and tumbled them dry for an hour or so. Cleaned them all off and the sand does nothing to the bead. Then oil the key.
Old 2007-09-27, 1:04pm
One of the Booger 7

so -- where do the keys come from?

i too had been trying to figure out how this was done -- thanks for sharing!

leslie

Old 2007-09-27, 1:20pm
caffiene, beads, bedhead,

ive heard the iron of the keys rubs off on clothing when worn? anyone with any ideas?
or a finish you can coat them with maybe?

~~
~~
Old 2007-09-28, 3:13am
a pox upon an idiot :..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ever After View Post
ive heard the iron of the keys rubs off on clothing when worn? anyone with any ideas?
or a finish you can coat them with maybe?

Yep, it sure does! When the key is done, as a final step, just cover the bead with a piece of paper and hit the key with a spray or two of clear Krylon spray. Problem solved.
Old 2007-09-28, 3:31am
Entropy increasing....

I have noticed no "rubbing off" of anything from the keys afterwards. Oiling them seems to be enough. As long as they aren't rusty or anything, there isn't a problem.

leslie, you can buy antique keys in antique stores. Sometimes people have whole boxes of them and you can pick some out. You can also buy them on Ebay.
Old 2007-09-28, 3:31am

Been thinking about making a bead on a key too. I went to Ebay to look at what's available in keys and searched for antique key and found something very cool.
It won't work but and its way too much money but its funny what you find.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Tuareg-Silver-Ke...QQcmdZViewItem

Heidi

~~
~~
Old 2007-09-28, 5:17am

Probably a stupid question (I feel like I'm coming up with tons of those today) but Kevan, what sort of oil do you use for your keys? I think I'd like to try that, first, before trying Krylon.
Old 2007-09-29, 4:09am
Rare Florida Native

Great post and info everyone.
Beautiful example Kevan.

Old 2007-09-30, 5:41pm
Cherine Perrin Glass

I found a some antique keys at an craft/antique show this weekend. I can't wait to try this. I bought 10 of them and am kicking myself for not buying more. Can't wait to try this. Does anyone know where to buy straight hemostats?

My Etsy shop: https://
face="Verdana">Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/CherinePerrinLampwork/
Old 2007-10-02, 9:48am
Molten Glass Addict

This is going to be fun, I have two brass keys at home. I'll have to ask my hubby if they'll survive a good torching!! Anyone else have pics to post?

< me in my younger days

< me now days

< me after a pomegranate rum slushie