LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials

Old 2007-11-24, 10:59am
Plays with Fire

Michael, how do you make the twistie rings? Large hole mandrels? They're so perfect and so cool!

Jen

Last edited by JenP; 2007-11-24 at 11:02am.
Old 2007-11-24, 11:55am

I do mine on a large hole mandrel:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenP View Post
Michael, how do you make the twistie rings? Large hole mandrels? They're so perfect and so cool!

Jen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thank You to ALL of my friends
who have journeyed
With me thru my elbow injury
and recovery!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

:
Old 2007-11-24, 12:18pm

This is great for people like me that have no idea where to start with twisties

Old 2007-11-25, 1:22pm
Forms in Glass

I know it is very unprofessional of me but I rarely will clean a mandrel hole. For this I have taken many an earbanging. Rather than incurring the wrath of any more Bead Nazis I just make most of my beads off mandrel.
To make a ring I take a 2" section of twisty. Holding an end of that section with tweezers I run the entire length of twisty up and down in my flame untill it is warm and will not shock itself into pieces. At this point I will attach a piece of store bought stringer to the center of the twisty. When I let go of the twisty with my tweezers I am left with a T of glass. I continue to run the cap of my T up and down in the flame rotating it so I can get both sides yet carefull not to heat the punty or the connection point of the T. When the twisty is soft I bend it into a ring shape, there is no need to rush at this point the slower you bend the glass the more controll you have. I then fuse the two ends together. Now is the difficult part. Using a large graphite reamer I put it inside the hole to make the ring round. The issue here is you are drawing the glass thinner. To thicken use heat and allow the thin part to congeal. I will rub the reamer on the outside of the ring this not only helps shape but it also helps congeal a thin section. I am carefull never to press the reamer on one little section of the ring as this will dent the ring, insted I rub the ring so as to effect more surface area. I will use flat mashers to make sure the ring is flat. Just like makeing a marble to get a true round I transfer at least once so I can work the area that was attached to the punty with more ease. When I am happy with my ring I will transfer onto a punty stringer with a very tenous attachment point. I then heat up a pair of tweezers so as to not shock the ring when I grab it with them. I break off the stringer fire polish the bellybutten then toss into the annealer.

My Etsy

Old 2007-11-25, 2:06pm
MonaRAEbeads.com

Location: I live in the Sierras, between Sacramento and Lake Tahoe.

Wow! Thanks Michael!

to get 15% off my beads

Old 2007-11-25, 2:31pm
Anyone need some spacers?

Michael, can someone take some photos of what you are talking about. I just can't see it in my head. Or maybe someone else can make some drawings???
Please, I just love these rings.

Old 2007-11-26, 6:38am
Forms in Glass

I did have somebody take pictures of me making twisty cane last night for an article on twistys I am building for the "Glass Line". Pictures are worth a thousand words. Alas I can not make the rings and take pictures at the same time and it is not easy for me to get somebody in to shoot for me but we shall see.

My Etsy

Old 2007-11-26, 6:38pm

I would love pictures also.
Old 2007-12-13, 5:44pm
Forms in Glass

Default Ok I will build a Thread

My Etsy

Old 2007-12-20, 1:00pm
Anna Duhame

This was a really good idea to make a thread like this!

I like the silvered ivory and enamel trick...never thought of that!

Love the Flaming pastille....so beautiful.

I make all my twisties (canes) on the end of a mandrel (Big thank you to Kimberly Affleck).

My best vine (tree leaf) cane is with nile green, rolled in iris amber green frit, lined with 3 lines of intense black, and then encased with clear. The IAG frit gas this nice way of adding different tones to the green (with minimal effort). I need to buy more IAG so I haven't been able to do this in awhile .

This is the only picture I could find with a good view of the leaf cane:

I also like to to make star canes....really really easy, I make a white or opal yellow 3 dimensional star shape on the end of a mandrel and then totally encase it in cobalt. To use is just poke the cane where you want stars and break off...I like adding a twist for movement. This makes excellent starfishes and nice little flowers.

Another cane I like is a rainbow ribbon.....I make a white lollipop and add stripes of transparent colors in proper rainbow formation....I keep it flat when pulling it.

Old 2008-02-08, 7:38am
addicted to dichro

bump! Great thread!

Old 2008-02-08, 9:18am
Gimme that silver glass!

Great thread! Tonight I'm going to make some Kimberley twisties!

MY NEW E-TUTORIAL:

Old 2008-02-09, 5:19pm
Burning Fingers!

I don't think I posted this twistie recipe in this thread - I really like to use opal yellow as a base, a couple of stripes of raku, a couple of quite thin stripes of intense black, and sometimes a stripe or two of medium topaz. I'll post a pic if I can find one.

/
/
/

Old 2008-02-10, 5:56am
Evil Glass Enabler

Thumbs up

I'd love to see a picture of this since 2 of my very favorite twisties are intense black and raku and opal yellow and intense black. Angelique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane P View Post
I don't think I posted this twistie recipe in this thread - I really like to use opal yellow as a base, a couple of stripes of raku, a couple of quite thin stripes of intense black, and sometimes a stripe or two of medium topaz. I'll post a pic if I can find one.

Fantasy Sterling Jewelry
Hothead or Nortel Major/minor on an oxycon. Ex-hole stole the big torches after putting them on the inventory.
"If I'm not part of the solution then I'm part of the problem. Today I'm part of the problem."
Old 2008-02-15, 4:20pm
fire is goooooood

Default Dying Over those green and blue twisties!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lara View Post
Great I idea, I LOVE twisties. I love making twisties, I loive using twisties, they are so much fun.

I think this thread needs to be a sticky (first one I have wanted to be a sticky). Even before it gets going.

1 - Just a simple white and medium lapis blue twisty on red. I like using twisties to make dots as well as wrap around the bead, you can make a fun bi-colored dots. I espcially like using them to make plunged bubble dots.

2 - A simple x-mas set with white, transparent sage green, transparent red and Goldstone on white.
3 - My all time favorite bead, can't duplicate (of course) and you have all seen it before - Opal Yellow and Intense black on silvered ivory.

4 - Love these beads, look so much better in person. Clear, Nile Green, Sky Blue (or torquoise, can't remember). All on clear, cased in clear.

5 - These are so fun to make. EDP and Copper Green on Opal Yellow.

Oh those are soooo cool. Thanks for this. I'm twistie impaired too like Naos!

Payton Jett
Old 2008-02-15, 5:03pm

If anyone wants my Opal Yellow, EDP Turquoise, & IB Twisties they are $20 a set and I'll be making some this weekend with Pam (daughter dearest) . Just PM me! (or email danelady@gsinet.net) Apply them over a black bead striped with copper green, and you get this effect:

Thank You to ALL of my friends
who have journeyed
With me thru my elbow injury
and recovery!

:
Old 2008-02-27, 2:04pm

Oh I just came across a killer combo! CIM colors all! Celadon paddle, cirrus on top, Thai orchid on top of cirrus then a layer of cirrus on top and bottom. all of these are paddles of color. then clear on the ends so you can pull it then stick your chopsticks or old mandrels into the clear. Heat it up nice and proper and pull and twist. WOW! Of you pull it thick and then use it like a cane for beads holy cow!
Jen
Old 2008-02-29, 8:55am

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggys View Post
I know this sounds too easy but I just love using a base of Lt. Turquoise, with a big stripe of Copper Green and another big stripe of Dk., or Light Ivory.
I like to use for big dots on a base of black or on Tangerine Sparkle.

Angela
I've just made this stringer and a massive Thank You !!! It's fantastic on black.. beautiful, wonderful.... and absolutely yummy..... I'm in
Old 2008-02-29, 9:16am

Quote:
Originally Posted by effemess View Post
I've just made this stringer and a massive Thank You !!! It's fantastic on black.. beautiful, wonderful.... and absolutely yummy..... I'm in
This sounds really interesting! Do you have a picture you can share?

Old 2008-03-04, 10:49am

Quote:
Originally Posted by effemess View Post
Oh Cool! I'm glad you liked it. *Smile*

Old 2008-03-04, 10:50am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ari'elle View Post
This sounds really interesting! Do you have a picture you can share?

I have a picture of it on Tangerine Sparkle. It's not very good but I'll see if I can upload it when I have more time to figure out how. I need the practice anyway.

Old 2008-03-04, 6:33pm

Well Shoot! I tried to upload a picture but I could not get the picture size small enough, even using all my notes and info from LE on how to crop and resize.

I'm using Photoshop elements 2.0 and or Picassa. The picture is something like 230 KB.

Effemess, I too would love to see a picture if your able! It looks cooler on black anyway, but I am afraid to even attempt a black bead picture. .

Old 2008-03-05, 9:13am

I will make another one and take a pic.. just for you
Old 2008-03-06, 10:54am

Thank you!!! And I will figure out how to shrink pictures (I hope).

Old 2008-03-07, 8:53pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellyloo View Post
a twistie of opal yellow, rubino and intense black.

Actually, there were more but only those ones did the trick, and i'm able to replicate the look with that recipe.
Somehow I missed this one. These look awesome. They remind me of a frit I loved but don't own anymore. I'm going to try this as a replacement.
Thanks!

Old 2008-09-16, 2:13pm
Glass-aholic

BUMP!!!
cuz of the twistie exchange of course!!!

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2008-09-30, 8:58pm
Creatrixie

Good one, Jaci...I wouldn't have seen it otherwise!

~Mary

There's always something new to learn!
COE 104
Old 2008-11-08, 12:47am

I'll be back

Facebook

Blogger
Old 2008-11-08, 10:04am
I like to melt things

I made a really cool twistie combination last weekend. I can't remember if I applied it on Dark Ivory or Vetrofond Yellow Ice, but the effect was so pretty:

1) Make a lollipop if Lauscha Buckhorn with Silver
2) Put Lauscha Olive on one side
3) Put Raku on the other side

Melt, twist and pull like any other twistie.

Here's the bead. I applied the twistie in a random scroll pattern and then added random dots of EFF Ink Blue Transparent:

-
-
Old 2008-11-14, 10:45pm

Ohh very pretty Melanie!
Jen