Lampwork Etc.

TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions > Torch Questions

Old 2009-05-12, 11:51am

Default Hellcat, Knight Bullet or Barracuda

Hello,

I am from germany and I have read here very often.
Writing in this language is not my strenght.

I hope you can understand me.
All three burner seems to be very good and I want to buy one.
My question: Keep the knobs cold, or get them hot and the second question: Is it usefull to buy one, where I can connect a foot pedal?
I get a O2-concentrator 2 x 15 lbs. I mean that is enough for the three burners, isn't it?

I am really thankful about each advice.
Thank's.

best regards,
Birgit
Old 2009-05-12, 12:38pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by birgit View Post
All three burner seems to be very good and I want to buy one.
All three are good burners.

Quote:
My question: Keep the knobs cold, or get them hot
I don't understand this question. The Mini CC has a reputation of having the knobs getting warm *if* you run it with too small of a flame. I am not aware of this problem with any of these burners.

Quote:
and the second question: Is it usefull to buy one, where I can connect a foot pedal?
A foot pedal makes using any 2-stage burner more convenient.

The Hellcat is already set up for a foot pedal, having individual fittings for the gas and oxygen. I believe that you can order the Hellcat with barbed fittings. If not, it will come with threaded fittings. Since you are in Germany, be aware that the threaded hose fitting may be different in Germany than here in the States.

The Barracuda requires a proprietary (and somewhat expensive) replacement manifold to adapt it to a foot pedal. This can be installed at the factory, or by you.

The Bullet Burner is set up with only two barbed fittings. It can be easily converted by replacing the existing manifolds with barbed or threaded fittings. Knight sells the barbed fittings as a kit.

Quote:
I get a O2-concentrator 2 x 15 lbs. I mean that is enough for the three burners, isn't it?
While I am not clear as to what you mean (2 oxycons? 15 lpm? 15 psi?), I do not think that two standard oxycons will run any of these torches at full power.

Please let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Malcolm
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Email:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Phone:+1.408.288.7978
Old 2009-05-14, 12:13am

Hello Malcolm,

thank you for your detailed reply. Yesterday I called the manufacturer of the Oxygenconzentrator and get the information that almost in Germany available concentrators the outlet pressure is 0.3 bar (4.4 psi). The one, whom I had wanted to buy has an outlet pressure of 0.5 bar (7.25 psi) and provides 15 liters of oxygen (concentration of 90%) per minute. I have heard that the concentrator is already 15-20 years old. I must think about the purchase. Unfortunately in Germany you can get almost only oxygenconzentrators with a supply of 5 l / minute Oxygen at a pressure of about 4.4 psi. Now, I must first look for a suitable concentrator.

Somewere I have read that the Barracuda with two normal concentrators (5 l/min., 4,4 psi) also would run satisfactorily.

Sometimes I dream that America isn't so far away. Than I could get al the things quickly and the shipping an clearance would be not expensive and complicated.
Sorry about my bad english.

Thank you again.

Many greetings.
Old 2009-05-14, 12:18am

Hello Malcom,

I' d like to correct my mistake.
The concentrator, whom I wanted to buy provides 2 x 15 l/minute of oxygen.

greetings.
Birgit
Old 2009-05-14, 5:55am
ManBearPig

The Bullet and the Hellcat are the same torch. On the outside they look different, but on the inside where it counts they are the same thing. I have used both extensively and I firmly believe that if you set up the torches so the worker could only see the flame and not the torch itself, you couldn't tell a difference. So, having said that, I recommend the Bullet over the Hellcat because it's cheaper.

You will hear people claiming that the Knight bases break easily. I have never seen any evidence to support it, and have never personally seen a broken Knight base, but you may want to research that a little more.

I am not a fan of the Barracuda (or the company that makes it) for many reasons that I won't get into here. But, beyond my personal problems with the company, I feel that the torch is inferior to the others in question. Especially considering it costs much more than the other two. Even more expensive if you want the base with the torch.

However, what it comes down to is what you like. If at all possible, try all of the torches in question. You may very well find that you like one that others don't.

I can't comment on running them on concentrators because I have never tried them on concentrators.

Old 2009-05-14, 6:45am
Miles from nowhere...

I have a barracuda that I use for soft glass. I have two oxy cons, but most of the time I just turn one on. I was new enough to glass and didn't know about this forum when I got the barracuda, or I would have asked more questions first. I don't hate it, but I think there would have been several choices that were much better for me.

Kate

Old 2009-05-14, 7:44am

Birgit,

May I ask what concentrator you are looking at? The only one I know of in Germany is the IsiOxy, but it does not put out 15 lpm:
http://www.isibeads.de/DreamHC/Seite15.html

To get 15 lpm, you will need something the size of the Hurricane:
http://www.unlimitedoxygen.com/produ...hurricane.html

I agree with Cosmo ... if you can, try all three torches, and see which one you like. And, if possible, try them all on oxycons, as trying one on tanks and another on oxycons is not a fair comparison.

Malcolm

Email:

Old 2009-05-14, 2:00pm

Hello again,

thanks for the good advice.
I would really like to try the three burner, but unfortunately, in Germany using few beadmaker larger burner. The GTT Lynx is sometimes mentioned. The most beadmakers are working with the minor, Carlisle, Cricket, Bobcat and some with a hothead.
The larger models aren't to buy in Germany. I still have not found a shop here. So I will order in the U.S. and I hope that it woud be than the right one for me. The concentrator, which I wanted to buy is the Oxicur H30 here on this page is the description. http://www.o2-heuck.de/seiten/gebraucht.htm Unfortunately only in German.

many great.
Birgit
Old 2009-05-14, 4:40pm
da General

I translated the description and it seems that the Oxicur is only a 5-litre oxycon which will only power the center fire of these torches. I have a Barracuda (which I love, by the way), and I use two 15-lpm oxycons.

|
|
|
|
Old 2009-05-14, 9:26pm
<---RamboPatootieSuperbun

Have you looked into the Herbert Arnold torches? They are made in Germany. My friend has one and it is just gorgeous. There are several different models.

Old 2009-05-15, 2:27am

Hi Hayley,

it is the oxicur H 30 and the supplier told me, that it is a 2x15 lpm oxycon.
Please show the eighth offer on this page: http://www.o2-heuck.de/seiten/gebraucht.htm

Hi glasshouse,

I have ask a german beadmaker which has tested the bigisi and she told me she didn't like it. No one else has the bigger torch from Arnold torches. The little one called "arni" or "isiheat" is very in germany very popular. Therefore you can get an interesting tool. See here: http://www.isibeads.com/DreamHC/Seite13.html

greats.
birgit
Old 2009-05-15, 10:52am
PyronamixK

Quote:
Originally Posted by glasshouse View Post
Have you looked into the Herbert Arnold torches? They are made in Germany. My friend has one and it is just gorgeous. There are several different models.
They use a loooooot of oxygen, too. So, they might not be any more suitable for use on a concentrator than the ones previously mentioned.
Old 2009-05-15, 11:31am

Quote:
Originally Posted by birgit View Post
it is the oxicur H 30 and the supplier told me, that it is a 2x15 lpm oxycon. Please show the eighth offer on this page: http://www.o2-heuck.de/seiten/gebraucht.htm
I ran the web page through the Google translator, and the results for the Oxicur H30 are:

Quote:
OXICUR H30 used 2x15 liter oxygen equipment

2 Humidifiers, Masks and Renewal

The device is suitable for all forms of therapy, even for the fast processor (only 40 mins 9 liters or 20 min 15 liters under load). On this device can also be a Neg. ION additional equipment to switch, so only 5 days 30 minutes with 15 liters inhale needs.

Complete with delivery and 1 year full warranty,

Special price:

€ 1650.00 excl. Vat
With downstream integrated circuit ION € 1985.00 excl. VAT
I'm not sure if I'm reading this correctly, but it *sounds* like the machine can only put out that volume (15 lpm) of oxygen for a short period of time .. ie, not continuously.

It also looks like the machine above it, the Aero-life 15, can put out a continuous 2x 12 lpm of oxygen. If so, at € 995,00 excl. Vat, it seems to be the better value.

Quote:
I have ask a german beadmaker which has tested the bigisi and she told me she didn't like it. No one else has the bigger torch from Arnold torches. The little one called "arni" or "isiheat" is very in germany very popular. Therefore you can get an interesting tool. See here: http://www.isibeads.com/DreamHC/Seite13.html
The IsiHeat is a small torch, in the same class as a Minor Burner. I have one, along with the IsiRider. It is designed to run on a small oxycon. Gert demonstrated it for me when he was in the States last year. It's taken me a while to be able to hook it up only due to the special gas low pressure requirements (it needs a 50 mBar fixed gas pressure. No one in the States makes a regulator to that spec, and the ones I got from Germany have hose fitting threads that are not standard here in the States. I ended up having to get some hose fittings from Belgium).

While I appreciate that your friend did not like the BigIsi, I still suggest that *you* try one yourself. Yes, the BigIsi and the larger Herbert Arnold torches will need more oxygen than a small oxycon can provide. But, so do all of the torches you originally asked about.

Malcolm

Email:

Old 2009-05-15, 11:35am
da General

Birgit - sorry I got the models mixed up. Good thing Malcolm got it all straightened out for you!

|
|
|
|
Old 2009-05-19, 2:36am

Hi Malcom,
I have to ask the supplier for more details. I will do so as soon as he is back from the U.S.
He made a good price for the bigger machine and I read the description so that it is usable for normal (continuously) and for short use. For medical use you can get a tool and than the positive effect is possible in a short time.

I have contacted Gert if someone around my location has bought a BIGISI and if it is possible to have a look before I buy this torch. I got a link to a video. http://www.isibeads.de/bilder/MOV00232.MPG
It looks good, but I want to see and test it by myself. The distance between Gerts and my location is circa 520 km (circa 320 miles). Thats the reason why I haven't seen the Bigisi yet.

at all: thanks for your help. I'm deeply greatful about the tips.

best wishes.
Birgit
Old 2009-05-19, 9:34am

One last quick point ... the BigIsi is not set up to use a foot pedal.

Malcolm

Email:

Old 2009-05-19, 10:36pm

Thanks Malcom,

I didn't know that. With this information the BigIsi is out of question.

Birgit
Old 2009-05-24, 5:15pm
DSDWC

In this size class I will add the GTT Phantom and rate them according to my preference. First let me say I have owned the Knight Bullet Burner, the Bethlehem Barracuda and the GTT Phantom. I still posses the Barracuda and the Phantom... I have worked extensively on these three, using 2 M-20 concentrators. I now use 2 M-20’s and a recompressor allowing me to run a 100% on any of these torches with generated O2. I have logged quite a few hours on the Hellcat in host studio situations.

#1 GTT Phantom split manifold. I have 10 months full time experience on this torch. It just does not get any better than this. Awesome flame control, you can dial in almost any type atmosphere or flame shape. Super clean burning, say bye bye to and nasty scum or carbon. It has some serious heat; you can really push the heat or get a nice soft bathing heat. It melts boro like butter. I have to turn it down to work soft glass. It has taken a while to get used to the triple mix but the more I work it the more I am amazed by this torch. Expensive but worth every penny.
I worked on this torch today.

#2 Bethlehem Barracuda split manifold. I have 5 years full time experience. I will always have a place in my studio for this torch. It is the only torch that will give me the flame I do my best scroll work in. It has the finest focus of any torch and the softness of this super tight flame lets me lay down some pretty nice scroll work. It has a nice range of flames and chemistry but lacks the fine tuning you get with the phantom. This is the torch I use to travel and teach my classes with. It’s a tough torch and can take a beating when the security guys at the airport toss it around.
I worked on mine today.

#3 Knight Bullet Burners. I have 5 Months full time experience. This is not a bad torch for it price. It has some serious heat and can really melt some glass. I have a couple of design issues with this torch.
One is the base. The first one I got the base was snapped off of the torch. It is a cast iron base and will break if dropped or miss-handled. My first Bullet burner arrived in two pieces and I have direct spoken to 3 other people who have had this problem. Knight will replace it if it arrives broken but that is unlikely now that they double box them when the ship. If you drop it and snap the base you will have to buy a new one or have someone build you one from steel.

Two, the torch is not designed to run with a foot pedal. Yes it easily can be converted to a four stud torch and run on one but this is an afterthought to the design. When running this torch on a foot pedal I find myself constantly having to adjust the inner fire every time I switch on or off the outer fire. It’s a real hassle and negates the whole concept of a foot pedal.
Other than these two issues it’s a decent torch and a good value. It is by far the cheapest of these 4 torches but as with everything else in this world you get what you pay for.
It’s been 2 years since I worked on this torch.

#4 Carlisle Hellcat. I have worked on this torch when it was the only big torch available at my host studio. Can’t say I am really impressed. Although I have limited hours on this torch and no foot pedal experience with it I can say it is my least favorite. It lacks a fine focus flame. It also is the coolest of all these torches.
I worked on this torch a month ago.

This is just my opinion other these 4 torches. It has been developed by actual experience and in 3 cases owned and used professionally in my shop.
I reserve the right to contradict myself at any time!!!!!!
Take it for what it is worth.
Peace,
Trey

Old 2009-05-24, 5:50pm

the 2x15 you linked would do great with a Bullet.
G.
Old 2009-05-30, 3:32am

Hello everybody,

I have called the seller of the "oxicur" and he had told me that I could get spare parts in the next 10 years. I get one year warranty for this concentrator and it provides the full amount of oxygen. The outlet pressure is higher than other medical concentrators. (psi 21.7447)

I've ordered it yesterday. It should be delivered next week.

Now I have only to decide a burner.
This decision I find much harder, because in Germany I do not have the possibility to test the various models.

Thanks for your good advice.

Many greetings.

Birgit