LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Old 2009-08-20, 11:51am
Always a Newbie

Question Opinions on the Smith Little Torch needed

Has any of you used a smith little torch. It says it reaches 5300 on MAPP. Im a total newbie and would like something for learning glasswork and copper work.

Any opinion would be appreciated.
Old 2009-08-20, 12:50pm
The Battle of Boro Boro

These are VERY handy little torches to have around, especially if you are doing jewelry work or intricate sculpture. I use mine on the same set-up as my Bobcat and Rocket (propane/oxy) and it gets hot enough for boro joint work easily.

However, know that this is a special purpose torch and will not work for you if you are looking for a primary torch for glass. (You mentioned that you would like to learn glasswork.)

For learning, I would suggest a GTT Cricket/Bobcat, or Nortel Minor.
Old 2009-08-20, 12:54pm
Super Duper

If you want to learn glasswork then the little torch is not what you want.

I have one for paperweights and while it is invaluable for what it does, it is a pain to set a neutral flame and only useful in very specific instances.

You aren't going to make anything out of glass with only the little torch.
Old 2009-08-20, 1:15pm
Certified Thread Killer

I bought a Little Torch when I bought my whole tank setup so that I could make sure that it had exactly the same connections as my oxy & propane hoses and that it would be interchangeable.

I have yet to use it. Since y'all are already here, what would be its soft glass application? Joint work as well? Can a small portion of a glass bead be heated to melting without exploding the whole thing?

Just asking because, well, you are here anyway and it fits the topic.

Thanks

~Rachelle
Old 2009-08-20, 2:06pm
The Battle of Boro Boro

The Smith "Little Torch" is a torch designed specifically for extremely small applications, like jewelry work, detailed soldering and brazing, and cutting thin metal sheeting. It was never meant for the art glass world...although I would bet we are a high percentage of their sales.

I started out many years ago in the jewelry world and used it exclusively in my work...then I progressed to glass. Joint work and detailing is about all it can be used for in the glass world.

Disclaimer: I work exclusively in Boro so I can't vouch for soft glass...but, as long as the bead stays above 1000 degrees (Boro's stress point is around 960) you should be able to spot heat areas with little problem. (I do it all the time for detail work.) However, you need to make sure to flash it in your main burner every now and then to keep the temps close to prevent breaking.
Old 2009-08-20, 2:47pm
Super Duper

The little torch is basically useless for beads or any "normal" work. As was said, it is only useful for joint work.

They aren't kidding when they call it a little torch, I only use it for paperweights to join stringers. All the flowers/stems/leaves are made on a lynx and then attached while cold via the little torch. After the setup is finished it gets vacuum encased.

Since the flame is so narrow you can heat the stems without softening or cracking the larger pieces.

The circle drawn on the graphite is 2" for scale and this is on the large side.
Old 2009-08-20, 3:52pm
The Battle of Boro Boro

Awesome "bouquet" BTW.
Old 2009-08-25, 7:01pm

Sweet work Ryan!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

new purple cricket @ home! minicc @ playing with fire in rockland! Sue & Nikki fighting over who gets to anneal the wonkies
Old 2009-08-25, 7:04pm
ManBearPig

I have one of the little torches. At a demonstration, I made an implosion pendant out of borosilicate with it. With the #7 tip, the flame is just about as big as the center fire of my CC.

•
•
•
Old 2009-09-13, 2:45pm
Beyond Cloud 9!

I have a question on this torch too.

I want to connect a little torch to my torch setup. Do I need two Y connectors, one for fuel and one for oxy?

I saw this setup at GS and am trying to figure out how they made it work.

Thanks for any help you guys can offer.

Old 2009-09-14, 5:49am
ManBearPig

Quote:
Originally Posted by lripster View Post
I have a question on this torch too.

I want to connect a little torch to my torch setup. Do I need two Y connectors, one for fuel and one for oxy?

I saw this setup at GS and am trying to figure out how they made it work.

Thanks for any help you guys can offer.
Yep. Just a Y connector. Although, I will say that too high of an oxygen pressure makes it hard to keep the little torch lit. I actually run mine off a single 5LPM concentrator and it runs great.

•
•
•
Old 2011-10-26, 10:14am

Unhappy Little torch

I'm a newbie and having a terrible time keeping the little torch lit. I learned on propane and oxygen and now have acetylene. It seems after I neutralize the flame and start to solder the cone backs up and pop off it goes.

Frustrating!!!!!!!!