AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

View Poll Results: Which of these presses is your favorite for "squeezed" beads?
Corina's Bead Squeeze 12 17.91%
Cattwalk Crunch 29 43.28%
Zoozii Kalera Long and Lean 12 17.91%
Other? 14 20.90%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2010-02-19, 6:05pm
one day at a time

Default What is your favorite "crunch" or "squeeze" press??

I really should get one of these presses, but I was wondering which one you liked the best. If you chose "Other", could you please post what you you use?

I am press impaired from sheer lack of use (LOL!), and in the past I had a LOT which I sold in the Garage ages ago. I have a Zoozii Kalera trio, and a CoonValley brass masher. Recently I've bought a Zoozii lentil presses out of the Garage and a Zoozii Cube and Crystal duo because my customers would like to see my beads in other shapes as well. It's about time anyway.

I figure the squeeze/crunch shape would be easiest to learn first??

Last edited by Lisi; 2010-02-19 at 6:13pm.
Old 2010-02-19, 6:39pm
Lampworkaholic!

Zoozii's custom made me a wide crunch press, similar to the Cattwalk ones but with pins. It was about the same price as the non-custom presses.

I have a BBQ masher, Jim Moore cushion press and I like the wide crunch best.

I also like the brass masher that Trey Cornette sells on his website but my workspace is just too small for the brass marver that goes with it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2010-02-19, 8:07pm
one day at a time

Thanks! I think the wide crunch is good because the beads are a little thicker, so I will see if I can get one custom made by Zoozii's. Thanks, that was a great help!
Old 2010-02-20, 1:36am

I have crunch 1 and crunch 6 from Cattwalk. I wish I could trade the 6 for a 4 because the beads from the 6 are just too deep (thick) and heavy.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2010-02-20, 7:59am
Lampworkaholic!

I think my custom press is the same size as the 3 or the 4.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2010-02-21, 4:24am
The Brighter the Better!

The guy on ebay, David from Coonvalley will make you a crunch style press with pins and you can have two sizes in one press. I got him to make me a 16mm and 22mm wide crunch press that is 8 mm thick. Also bought one off him that is 14 mm wide and 6 mm thick which is so cool!!! If you can't find his address on ebay, contact Malcolm from Art Co, as he sells some of his presses too.

Old 2010-02-21, 11:48am
one day at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bright-eyed Beads View Post
The guy on ebay, David from Coonvalley will make you a crunch style press with pins and you can have two sizes in one press. I got him to make me a 16mm and 22mm wide crunch press that is 8 mm thick. Also bought one off him that is 14 mm wide and 6 mm thick which is so cool!!! If you can't find his address on ebay, contact Malcolm from Art Co, as he sells some of his presses too.
That's exactly what I want! Thanks!
Old 2010-02-28, 6:05pm
too many rods in the fire

You might also want to look at the Cattwalk Tabulator press. It's awesome. I also use my crunch press every time I torch.

Old 2010-02-28, 9:50pm
Cat Lady

I mostly like Zoozii's presses and others with pins, but the Cattwalk crunches are awesome because of how many widths they offer. I have the regular width and have been wanting a wider one to complement it. LampworkLori, thanks for the recommendation - I'll check out the Size 4 next.
Old 2010-02-28, 10:18pm
as in the state

I mostly use Zoozii's presses, but I like the Cattwalk crunch press. I got the duo crunch, but want a crunch that's all the same size to make longer beads.

I find the Cattwalk crunch press makes a more organic type of shape. The Zoozii's presses have a more defined edge to them, making them a little more "structured."

Just my 2 cents. I own several of both kinds, and a couple from Mike's brass for glass, and a buttload of graphite molds.

-Amy
Old 2010-03-02, 12:40pm
Will work for glass...

Cattwalk all the way...jmo.
Old 2010-03-03, 3:56pm

I have two custom crunch presses from David at Coonvallyb.. 20mm wide x 7mm thick and another 20mm wide and 11mm thick...

Old 2010-03-03, 8:18pm
Dangerous Woman

I have the long and lean from Zoozie, it was smaller than I expected it to be, but it worked for me. Then I got a Cattwalk crunch and I rarely use the Zoozie one anymore. I forget why I liked the Cattwalk better, but since I put the Zoozie one away I rarely use it. The Cattwalk has a permanent place on my workbench. I also use it pretty much every time I torch.

ETA I never used any other crunch type presses so I can't compare the Cattwalk to any other ones.

May your torch burn brightly and your oxy never run out. - Karen Hardy

On a Cheetah with a hurricane Still have my Lynx as a back up.
Old 2010-03-03, 10:25pm
as in the state

I need to find a place to put my presses... Right now I have them all in a plastic drawer type thing, but I pretty much have to know what I want to use when I go dig it out.

What do you guys do for press storage?

Thinking about putting mine on a small bookshelf that I have at the front of my studio, so they are all out and visible. That way I don't have to dig through a drawer to find the one I want...

-Amy
Old 2011-04-22, 6:36pm

Love love love:

http://www.etsy.com/listing/61230149...mpworking-tool
Old 2011-04-22, 7:22pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by beadbroad View Post
For large beads I like this style, I have both Jim Moore Cushion presses which I love, I think the sides end up with more of a slope than this tool above but that's just personal preference. For small beads I have an old corina squeeze press which I love. The beads are typically about 21 mm wide and about 7 mm thick. I only like to use 1/16" mandrels with this. But with this type of press the final size is flexible as it just depends on the amount of glass, the shape and the force you press with. I think you would be happy with any of them. In general, I like the pins of zoozii presses for many shapes but haven't had a problem with my crunch press without them, in fact it probably makes it faster to use without the pins. The large size of the base is annoying though I have to admit. The cushion press and the crunch press are ones I use almost every time I torch.

Old 2011-04-25, 12:38pm
Redbearmountain

I like Zoozii's Kalera Long and lean it's my favorite press.

Old 2016-07-21, 10:26am

For a press I like this http://www.corinabeads.com/pages/squeezepresses.php

for a hand tool I like this http://www.gracefulcustoms.com/masurot.html
Old 2016-07-21, 11:17am
I like to melt things

I use this every time I torch pretty much, and it's completely replaced my crunch press in my heart.
http://www.gracefulcustoms.com/maroju.html

-
-
Old 2016-07-21, 11:55am
http://youtu.be/nGt9jAkWi

I love the Catwalk Rectangular Puffy Pillow. I know it's not a crunch but it's very similar. It's easy to use & makes a gorgeous shaped bead. I prefer it over the crunch.

Vivian

-