No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2017-05-02, 1:52am
and your little dog too

Default New Reichenbach Multicolor Blue

Has anyone tried it? I bought some recently, interesting glass. Seems to be raku and a blue mixed. It's not striking as far as I can tell though so not sure on that, they say it reduces which I forgot to try. Rods range from cobalt, to striped brown/blue, to very very dark brown.

In my pic you'll see the range in rods and the glass, I bought .25 kilo and no two rods are alike. The dark turns to that dark blue you see in the bead, but very dark indoors.

It's listed in the transparents, but it's not as far as I can tell, even pulled into paddles, stringer yes.
http://www.glasscolor.com/products/d...D=217&pID=2822

Here's a pic from their site, farbglas.de

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by elasia; 2017-05-02 at 1:59am.
Old 2017-05-02, 4:00am
Slogan Challenged...

Oh darn, I just ordered glass from there too. I NEEEEEED that!

Facebook:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Etsy:

Old 2017-05-02, 5:40am

Pretty! Thanks so much for sharing those pics!
Old 2017-05-02, 6:23am

Yum...
Old 2017-05-02, 7:50am

Location: I live in a smal town nearest Den haag and Rotterdam

WOW, Iike it !

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G900F met Tapatalk
Old 2017-05-02, 10:09pm

Oh wow.
Old 2017-05-25, 6:42am

That looks like it might be a possible Kronos replacement. Hmmmm...
Old 2017-05-26, 1:43am
and your little dog too

It's really nothing like Kronos, it's not a silver glass. It's what you see is what you get. It's more like raku and blue mixed. Still have yet to play with it more.

Here it is on their site as a blown vessel
http://www.glasscolor.com/products/d...D=204&pID=2800

on their lampwork page it says it reduces, which is odd it doesn't say or show it on the blowing page linked above. (and i didn't try to yet)
http://www.glasscolor.com/category/r...olor=true-blue

Old 2017-05-26, 5:52am

Quote:
Originally Posted by elasia View Post
It's really nothing like Kronos, it's not a silver glass. It's what you see is what you get. It's more like raku and blue mixed. Still have yet to play with it more.
It does look like a type of Kronos. To me it does look like it has silver in it. just mix silver with blue and you get the same tones. I also expect if you reduce it the silver will rise and cause a reduction haze of some silver. It is beautiful glass. Have fun!!! I love playing with new glass, especially anything with silver in it.

Viking knit End Caps for sale:
[/url]https://heatherferman.etsy.com[/url]
Old 2017-05-26, 7:28am

Raku, multicolor, and multicolor dark are all silver glasses, btw. Anything that reduces or strikes to multicolors has silver. http://www.listen-up.org/kitty/beads/silvers.htm
Old 2017-05-26, 11:35pm
and your little dog too

I know those mentioned are, but it does nothing like a silver glass, especially like a kronos type. Like i said, WYSIWYG and while it's cool, I'm not sure why they called it multicolor blue other than it being multi shades of blue lol. (It may not be a silver glass at all either as we're just guessing at this point, I would say no since it does nothing so far with the quick beads, but I did try to strike it. I had hoped it was a 'blue raku' like blue chalcedony as I emailed and asked if they would consider making one but it fell flat.

It's not at all like kronos imo. Picture it more like an effetre cool color where they mix colors. Like I said, it's blue with brown mixed in. Some rods are just blue, some are blues mixed, some are striped blue and brown (the tab bead). It doesn't strike and may not even reduce.
What you see in the paddles that looks like a 'silver glass' are from stripes of lighter blues in the rods.

I don't plan on torching for a few days, but when I do I'll reduce it and play some more, but I really don't think it's going to react, it didn't with raku or to striking.
-edit- I'll also take pics of the rods to show the stripes and variances better.

Last edited by elasia; 2017-05-27 at 12:07am.
Old 2017-06-05, 10:16pm
and your little dog too

My laptop died so my pics are on that..didn't think to use my phone to take pics until now... haha I'm old school.

Anyway, it does reduce, but not nicely. It looks copper and it's uneven and looks much like the reduction on copper green.
It does not strike either, I tried flame and kiln striking it now for the second time.

Old 2017-06-07, 10:01am

I just had my order come in. The rods were dark brown, and frankly didn't seem like they would produce much color. The birds went into the kiln looking pretty plain. But I am tickled to death at the purple that I woke up to today. *edited to add this was the multicolor DARK*

Name:  Purp9Use.jpg
Views: 1546
Size:  51.4 KB

Last edited by yonil; 2017-06-07 at 10:59am.
Old 2017-06-08, 7:29am
Fried Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by yonil View Post
I just had my order come in. The rods were dark brown, and frankly didn't seem like they would produce much color. The birds went into the kiln looking pretty plain. But I am tickled to death at the purple that I woke up to today. *edited to add this was the multicolor DARK*

Attachment 164163
Beautiful!
I agree. All of my raku and R-multis are never wysiwyg. They strike. I don't care who says what, my brown raku blooms to something not what was in the rod.

Either the blue is a true multicolor and does indeed strike like all the rest... or reichenbach has decided to slap the Multicolor name on an effetre cool mix style color. That would suck because to date, R Multicolor meant striking and reactive.

Last edited by SGA; 2017-06-08 at 7:35am.
Old 2017-06-08, 8:44am

Some more multicolor dark beads. Loving this color!

Name:  Donk1.jpg
Views: 1506
Size:  63.4 KB
Old 2017-06-08, 10:05pm
It's all about the color.

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaberg View Post
Raku, multicolor, and multicolor dark are all silver glasses, btw. Anything that reduces or strikes to multicolors has silver. http://www.listen-up.org/kitty/beads/silvers.htm
Thanks for linking my page. I never noticed before but those stacks of beads actually look like mustaches or lips to me now.

(If the link doesn't work, edit the s out of your browser. It should be "http" not "https" Sometimes LE put in an S just for the heck of it.)

Old 2017-06-08, 10:18pm
Loving learning

According to the website, Multicolor Blue is reducing.

Yonil, yes, the Multicolor Dark is really nice, as is the Multicolor.

I don't have any of the Multicolor Blue, so am curious to see what it does when reduced.
Old 2017-06-08, 10:28pm
and your little dog too

eta as I missed your post, i said in my last post that it reduces, it just does so like copper green if you can picture that on a dark blue, sort of like a patina more than anything. In the 'blowing' section it did not say or show it reduces, so that's why i questioned it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGA View Post
Beautiful!
I agree. All of my raku and R-multis are never wysiwyg. They strike. I don't care who says what, my brown raku blooms to something not what was in the rod.

Either the blue is a true multicolor and does indeed strike like all the rest... or reichenbach has decided to slap the Multicolor name on an effetre cool mix style color. That would suck because to date, R Multicolor meant striking and reactive.
But she posted Multicolor Dark, not the same thing as Multicolor Blue. I don't think anyone (not I) said "Raku" doesn't turn colors, that's why we love it
This isn't the same family as "raku" or multicolor/dark imo. My favorite glasses are striking colors and I use them nightly of all manufacturers, this sadly (at least the rods I got which are good variety) are just blue streaked with tan or dark blue with other blue stripes. It's cool, it's just not what you think.

Guys, I'm really horrible getting these pics up, my laptop died and I lost the pics and I just never think to retake. I promise if you picture the reduction of copper green, that is the reduction of this glass..very streaky and not so nice, and the colors I previously posted were the colors of the striped rods as described in post 1 and so on. But I'm pretty much done here until someone else plays because I feel like I'm made to be a n00b or a liar
I just wanted to show a color that may have been missed since it's listed in transparents and no news of it.

Last edited by elasia; 2017-06-08 at 10:34pm.
Old 2017-06-09, 1:18am

So beautiful, Yonil!

Elke
Old 2017-06-09, 6:53am

I ordered some to play with. I like hearing about new glass, and I think this is pretty even if it does not color shift.
Old 2017-06-09, 7:36am
Loving learning

Oh sorry, I missed where you had tried it, I thought I had read you were going to play with reduction.

I hope you find a good use for it, but I can imagine that with it having "multicolor" in the name, same as the dark and multi that get the purples, etc. that it was a disappointment even if it is pretty, but still not as expected from the name.
Old 2017-06-09, 4:12pm
Fried Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
Oh sorry, I missed where you had tried it, I thought I had read you were going to play with reduction.

I hope you find a good use for it, but I can imagine that with it having "multicolor" in the name, same as the dark and multi that get the purples, etc. that it was a disappointment even if it is pretty, but still not as expected from the name.
Exactly my point. Either elasia isn't getting it to strike when it should.... OR..... Reichenbach has slapped the "Multicolor" tag on something that isn't what we've come to expect as true reactive Multicolor. I find that disturbing. It's like DH putting out a color blend that has striations but in itself isn't striking.

Edit to add: AND DOES NOT EXPLAIN THAT DIFFERENCE. I feel that whatever DH puts out would be gorgeous, but if they started manufacturing non silver colors, they'd make that distinction straight up front. Nothing on Olympic site says it's different from the other Raku effects we are used to. That's my problem with it.

I suspect judging by the images of the Blue frit, elasia is correct. It is wysiwyg. It is mostly blue with green bits. Raku and Dark are solid colors. So I'm going to assuming it's not truly part of the Multicolor and Raku family. Despite its name.

Last edited by SGA; 2017-06-09 at 4:16pm.
Old 2017-06-09, 4:29pm
Loving learning

I don't think so either since it doesn't say striking, only reducing.

Kind of a bait and switch, even if they didn't mean it that way, which I hope they didn't.
Old 2017-06-11, 11:52am

Olympic color rods are good people. They don't bait and switch or rename glass to something else, like others do. They sell it and describe it as it is

Old 2017-06-11, 12:35pm
Fried Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reenie View Post
Olympic color rods are good people. They don't bait and switch or rename glass to something else, like others do. They sell it and describe it as it is
If that's the case: why would they call something Multicolor and it doesn't strike?

Or do you think elesia isn't working the glass correctly?

Whether they intentionally meant to or not... Multicolor has an expectation of basic glass behavior. If this MC Blue doesn't react similarly to MC and MC dark, AND they don't make that distinction on their website, I think they flunked here.
Old 2017-06-11, 12:47pm
Loving learning

Hopefully they just didn't think when they named it. Their glass is pretty special, and I love most everything I have bought.
Old 2017-06-11, 10:55pm

Quote:
If that's the case: why would they call something Multicolor and it doesn't strike?

Whether they intentionally meant to or not... Multicolor has an expectation of basic glass behavior. If this MC Blue doesn't react similarly to MC and MC dark, AND they don't make that distinction on their website, I think they flunked here.
If a glass is called Multicolor I expect multiple colors.
If a glass is called Multicolor Blue I do not expect other colors than blue.
In the first picture shown by Elasia I see different shades of blue.
So why should a glass called MC Blue react similarly to a glass called MC???
The main focus lies on Blue and that's what it looks like.

Elke
Old 2017-06-12, 8:46am
Fried Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locococo View Post
If a glass is called Multicolor I expect multiple colors.
If a glass is called Multicolor Blue I do not expect other colors than blue.
In the first picture shown by Elasia I see different shades of blue.
So why should a glass called MC Blue react similarly to a glass called MC???
The main focus lies on Blue and that's what it looks like.

Elke
It's a bit like comparing Effetre Kiwi(if it were blue) to Kronos. Kiwi gives striations and is indeed multicolored... but it's not the same.

Raku and Multicolor terminology has a reasonable expectation. Orange Raku has more than orange for example.

I'd have purchased the MC Blue with the assumption that I may get something extra in blue shades. Multicolor and Raku terminology as far as Reichenbach goes, has never been WYSIWYG.

I'm only suggesting that Olympic needs to note that in the color description.
Old 2017-06-12, 9:22am

Quote:

I believe the colors are named in Germany. Maybe it's just a multicolor blue because the glass has striations of different colors of blue. I have no idea but I know it wouldn't have been intentional. You can call them and I'm sure you'll have your answer.

Old 2017-06-12, 11:32am
MacGalver

So, totally dumb question~ this is only available in 96, correct? I've never used Reichenbach 104 colors at all, but have used lots of 96 Reichenbach frit, and I see it is available as a frit. Anybody tried the frit yet?