LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials

Old 2012-01-17, 5:34pm

Default Question about doing a tutorial

If I wanted to do a tutorial, and I have never done one before, how do I learn how to do one?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2012-01-17, 5:45pm

Good question - I'd love to hear others' thoughts on this, as well. I have an idea brewing in my mind. Harriet, I think a bead tutorial by you would be wonderful!

Old 2012-01-17, 6:10pm
It's about having fun!

I just did a word document, inserted pictures and saved it as a PDF. It's not fancy but it's okay I think.
Thank you! Joni
Old 2012-01-17, 6:26pm
MacGalver

Formatting in Word will make your document as simple or as fancy as you want, then you can either print to a PDF file, or use a free pdf converter like 995Pdf. If you wanted your tutorial to be readable on an e-reader, you would have more decisions to make, but almost all the tutorials I have seen are standard pdf files. Good luck!

Feel free to PM me if you have more specific questions that aren't answered in this thread!

Jo

Old 2012-01-17, 10:47pm

Thanks Nicole...and thanks for all the tips everyone

Old 2012-01-18, 5:55am
Run Free Sweet Boy

same thing..I did mine in word and then converted it to a pdf.. BTW I have a nook color and all the pdfs I have bought go on my nook just fine

"It's not what you have, it's who you are."
Old 2012-01-18, 9:08am

I have a Mac so I used Pages. Such a nice program and so easy to use. If you are using a Mac with pages, you have to go to "print" to convert it into a PDF. Took me awhile to figure that one out.

Old 2012-01-18, 10:09am

Hi Harriett, Yes, use Word to create your document. I like to set up tables and size my photos to fit into the tables, allowing for some cell padding. When the tutorial is done, simply turn the table borders white so that they disappear and that's all there is to it.

When I do tutorials for the magazine, I use tables for all of them, but I'm also trying to compress a tutorial into just a few pages. If you have the room to spread out a bit, you can just place our photos where you want them on the page and put a text box next to them.

For creating PDFs, I use PDFill. It isn't expensive, and the compression rate is excellent while maintaining the quality of the document. I use PDFill and the compression rate is more than 50%.

The good news about tutorials is that lampworkers realize the authors are not professional writers, photographers or editors and most people are very forgiving, as long as the photos and instructions are clear. I do, however, recommend that you get a good copy editor to look over your tutorial before you publish it. There are a lot of tutorials that are good, but could be better if they were reviewed by a copy editor first.

I have two good copy editors I can recommend if you send me a PM.

Good luck! Put me on the list of people who can't wait to buy your tutorial.

Old 2012-02-05, 3:35pm
Obsessionwoman

oooh, what is your tut going to be?...
Old 2012-02-05, 4:02pm

Hi Obsession,
First I want to thank everyone for all the good advice. If I do tut it would be about watercolor florals. Right now my son, his wife and three young children are moving to Louisville, so I can't think about anything until they are settled. I just wondered what it would entail to do a tutorial, and if they would sell. Again, thanks so much for all the input.
Harriet

Old 2012-02-06, 7:01am

I'd be very interested in a tut. on your watercolor florals. I love it when you post pics of them.

"All true artists, whether they know it or not, create from a place of no-mind, from inner stillness."
Eckhart Tolle

Cathy[/font]
Old 2012-02-06, 9:52am
burnin' glass just becuz

me too! i would love to learn how to do your florals!

Give ideas away - there are new ones underneath... Diane Vreeland
Old 2012-02-07, 12:05pm

Timely discussion. I'd like to create tutorials starting with the word doc pages I create for metal working classes I teach (MANY unique techniques). When I added photos and converted to PDF, the files were huge! Not something I can send as attachments. Once completed, I would like to be able to sell as tutorials and that is another thing to learn how to do properly. Obviously, I have a lot to learn and would like to know where to go for more in-depth instructions.

Thanks for your suggestions thus far Diane. I checked out the PDFill option you mention... not for Macs as far as I can tell. I am using Word for Mac and wonder if there would be any benefit to working with Pages (I would have to purchase it first).

Anyone work on both a PC and a Mac, with Word and with Pages have an opinion?

Thanks for all input.

Old 2012-02-07, 12:33pm

Hi Harriett, The answer to your question about whether the tutorial would sell or not...YES! I don't really think you have any idea how many people would sell some of their hoarded glass to buy your tutorial on making watercolor flowers.

I've seen your beads in person and I can tell you they are extraordinary!

So put your mind to rest as far as demand goes. People will be lining up to buy it. Fortunately we are all online or there might be shoving and biting.

Old 2012-02-07, 1:27pm
Born Facing Left

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holaday View Post
Timely discussion. I'd like to create tutorials starting with the word doc pages I create for metal working classes I teach (MANY unique techniques). When I added photos and converted to PDF, the files were huge! Not something I can send as attachments. Once completed, I would like to be able to sell as tutorials and that is another thing to learn how to do properly. Obviously, I have a lot to learn and would like to know where to go for more in-depth instructions.

Thanks for your suggestions thus far Diane. I checked out the PDFill option you mention... not for Macs as far as I can tell. I am using Word for Mac and wonder if there would be any benefit to working with Pages (I would have to purchase it first).

Thanks for all input.
Carol, many pdf programs will give you a choice of file sizes for the finished product. Also, make sure that your images are sized appropriately. I use a 'medium' quality for pdfs, the super-high quality makes for an enormous file!

Old 2012-03-03, 11:15pm

I'm a technical writer, so I have some tips.

Start each step with a verb (1. DO this.) followed by a photograph if necessary. Include any incidental information in a new indented paragraph (or two) under the step. Also, many tutorials I read have multiple steps combined in a single paragraph - it is best to break them out.

Consider breaking a very long tutorial into tasks or procedures. (e.g. Making the Cane [steps 1-10], Applying the Cane [steps 1-5], etc.)

Consider including small (about 2" x 3") well-cropped photos to let the user conserve ink and paper if they want to print the tut. Users can always magnify photos in pdf's if desired.

Last edited by LampworkbyLori; 2012-03-03 at 11:21pm.
Old 2012-04-18, 11:09am

Quote:

Thanks for all input.
This is a bit late, but in case it is useful:

On modern Macs, you can print to PDF from *every* program. So yes, you can create PDFs directly from Word. Or from anything else. File > Print > PDF button on bottom left.

Filesize: it depends on how large your images are, and in what format they were originally. For people with the full version of Adobe Acrobat, there are lots more options for how you want images to be dealt with in your PDF, but with the free solutions you don't get that kind of control. So you need to trade off between image resolution/quality and filesize before you convert your document. (This is why people sometimes do a separate high-res PDF for printing - anyone who just wants to view it on a screen doesn't have to download a huge thing).

|
|
|
|

Last edited by Kalorlo; 2012-04-18 at 11:11am.
Old 2012-04-18, 11:30am

Kalorlo,

Thank you for your input. I have the full Creative Suite, Office for Mac, and Acrobat Pro.... so I am swimming in options but missing instructions for how to best combine them for the creation and publishing of BOTH on-line only and print purposes.

I find Word difficult to work with. I much prefer Publisher, but Office for Mac doesn't include this option.

My tutorials would be for metal working and coloring techniques and not for bead making. Mostly I would be adding step-by-step photos to my already written instructions and making this available to my students as well as anyone else interested..... perhaps simply sharing on my blog site.

Thanks again for your help.

Old 2012-04-18, 11:41am

Do you have InDesign included with Creative Suite, Carol? If you do, I'd be using that and ignoring Office. Much easier to do proper layout in a real DTP program than trying to get Word to leave images where you put them... If there's anything specific you're not sure how to do, try having a look for tutorials - there tend to be loads of them.

For anyone else: there's an open source DTP prgram called Scribus that I rather like. It's more complicated than Word, but if you're used to using Photoshop, for example, you should be fairly at home and there's loads of online documentation. You create text frames to put text in, image frames to put images in and you have layers and master pages. There are Mac and PC versions. You get plenty of options for creating pdfs for printing too.

|
|
|
|
Old 2012-04-18, 11:50am

Yes, I do have InDesign.... with all the help and tutorials it comes with. Guess it is time to learn how to use it. Thanks for the suggestion. I've only used Dreamweaver and Photoshop from CS3 and felt overwhelmed when I first started with those.

Thanks once more.

Last edited by Holaday; 2012-04-18 at 11:50am. Reason: spelling
Old 2012-04-18, 12:59pm

I really like a tutorial that has the important steps on the last page so that I can take it to the torch with me after reading the tutorial. It doesn't have to be fancy, just copies of the pictures in the tut to serve as a reminder of the steps. So much easier than trying to turn the mandrel and turn pages of a tutorial which may or may not be on fire!

All my children have paws
Proud Member of "YOU PEOPLE" 9.13.11
Old 2012-04-18, 8:13pm
Unmedicated since '62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalorlo View Post
Do you have InDesign included with Creative Suite, Carol? If you do, I'd be using that and ignoring Office. Much easier to do proper layout in a real DTP program than trying to get Word to leave images where you put them... If there's anything specific you're not sure how to do, try having a look for tutorials - there tend to be loads of them.

For anyone else: there's an open source DTP prgram called Scribus that I rather like. It's more complicated than Word, but if you're used to using Photoshop, for example, you should be fairly at home and there's loads of online documentation. You create text frames to put text in, image frames to put images in and you have layers and master pages. There are Mac and PC versions. You get plenty of options for creating pdfs for printing too.
oh boy do i second this!!

i struggled with document layouts in Word and Publisher for years before i was given ID as a gift from a graphic designer friend - its like going from steam driven to nuclear power

- my 17yo sons first novel

- download, get organised, enjoy
Old 2012-05-22, 5:08am
Who me?

I found this on Pinterest. It might have some useful advice since she writes tutorials.

http://www.madincrafts.com/2012/05/m...o-write-a.html
Old 2012-05-22, 6:13am

Hi Harriet: I "discovered" your Watercolor Floral Beads about a year ago & think they are just lovely. I'm interested in any tutorial you would make available. Carolyn
Old 2012-05-22, 10:53am

Swamper,

thank you for the link to the Tut on making an A+ Tutorial. Very helpful.

Now to learn ID and get to work.

Old 2012-05-24, 3:02pm
Melts glass~makes jewelry

OMG, YES! Please do it Harriet! I would love to know how to make your beautiful flower beads. At least I'd like to try. lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kybeadmaker View Post
Hi Obsession,
First I want to thank everyone for all the good advice. If I do tut it would be about watercolor florals. Right now my son, his wife and three young children are moving to Louisville, so I can't think about anything until they are settled. I just wondered what it would entail to do a tutorial, and if they would sell. Again, thanks so much for all the input.
Harriet

Old 2012-06-29, 12:14pm
Lovin' that glass...

Do any of you know have these huge tutorials - you know the ones over 25 pages long - and want to print them, yet NOT suck all the ink out of your personal printers?

Who does this online for us? - or - do we burn a disc and take it to Staples? What do you all do to print out these long tutorials?

No, I don't have an iPad where I can sit it beside me while the torch is on ... like cooking.

Old 2012-07-08, 7:21am
Debra Clutter

Quote:
Kalorlo,

Thank you for your input. I have the full Creative Suite, Office for Mac, and Acrobat Pro.... so I am swimming in options but missing instructions for how to best combine them for the creation and publishing of BOTH on-line only and print purposes.

I find Word difficult to work with. I much prefer Publisher, but Office for Mac doesn't include this option.

My tutorials would be for metal working and coloring techniques and not for bead making. Mostly I would be adding step-by-step photos to my already written instructions and making this available to my students as well as anyone else interested..... perhaps simply sharing on my blog site.

Thanks again for your help.

Office for Mac does include publisher! At least mine does! I can choose a publishing layout and create a master page for the overall look of my document. You can create many master pages if you would like some pages to look different. Very easy to use. it even has templates to choose from if you would like to start from there.
Deb

#C-108
Art is the desire of a man to express himself, to record the reactions of his personality to the world he lives in. -Amy Lowell-

Old 2012-07-08, 8:03am

Hi Deb,

Are you referring to the "Publishing Layout" in Word, or an actual separate Publisher application included with MS Office? Which version of Office do you have?

On my PC, I have MS Office which includes the application "Publisher"... This is what I used for many years and kept for the ease of it. On my (newer) Mac, I have Office 8 for Mac which does not have Publisher... although Word does have the option to work in "Publishing Layout"... and I see that it does do just about the same job as my old favorite "Publisher".

Bottom line.... I think you are correct... If I work in Word on my Mac and choose Publishing Layout, I can accomplish the same results. I just need to become familiar with how it works. I feel silly for having overlooked this option for so long... I guess because I have both the PC and the Mac on my desk, I just stuck to my old ways. Thanks for getting me to explore Word.

I am working on short tutorials for enameling techniques and metal working techniques for my students. Eventually... The plan is to post PDFs on my blog.

I just discovered how easy it is to use screen capture (am I slow or what?!) and this will be very useful for the instructions I am writing to help beginning photographers with the photos they take of their jewelry.

Old 2012-07-18, 7:22pm
Fancies

I would love your watercolor floral tut, Harriet!