Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Closed Thread

Old 2011-07-10, 10:36am

Michelle what torch are you using? I can't use the transparent rose to encase anything with ( I do a LOT of encasing too, so I don't think its me.) Several pages back I posted an email from Natasha explaining why I might be having issues with some of the encasing with the transparents. In a nutshell, I tend to work too hot (I am impatient at best lol) and too fast, and I prefer to gravity shape my beads instead of using tools ( I do use tools, and love my tools, but for round beads, I prefer gravity). Some of the Devardi transparents don't like to be worked that hot, which is why Kristina can get them to work well and I can't lol. I'm just too impatient.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2011-07-10, 10:38am

Oh and I encased some of the honeydew and pulled stringers yesterday. I did make one test bead, no devitrifying but its very close to white. Very smooth and creamy consistency once its encased though.

Old 2011-07-10, 10:57am
Melts Under Fire

I am working on a Minor with 5 lpm oxy con. I used tools to shape this fish and it took over an hour to make - so I dont think I was working too hot. I did notice a lot of bubbles in the pink when laying it down - maybe that helped with the cracking. I have read this whole thread, but cant remember all that is here.

Old 2011-07-10, 11:22am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fine Folly Glassworks View Post
Hi Bran,

Thank you for being interested. When Devardi was first getting launched there were a number of people who were really happy to have it as an option (me included), and a number who were incredibly cruel - with an agenda to ruin Devardi as a businesss. Some of them had/have glass-selling businesses online.

Those of us who wanted to be free to choose Devardi glass went through a terrible time with people posting to be hateful and causing strife and misery that was mindbending. It caused the owners of Devardi to stop posting here because it was so mean and unrelenting...

Anyone should be free to use any glass they like without harassment, and so the drive to scare people away from this glass was really vile to me. I stood up against the hatefulness in support of Devardi's right to exist and for people to be free to make the choice to use it or not. I also directly addressed the meanness and the bashing along with others who felt it was so wrong.

I can see now that it has made me to sensitive or quick to worry that it is starting up again, and I am sure going to be more careful now that I see it. I hope that helps explain it.
Kristina,
Thanks for taking the time to explain your stance. I was not around then, and did not participate in any of that. My experience and review was as a fresh lampworker, and I do think that all the cheerleading about how great this product is can be detrimental both to Devradi and new glass workers. In a way you have taken on representing a company, and the "oh you must be doing something wrong" thing has put me off them completely. Seeing someone struggle with honeydew, one of the colors I tried made me realize that if people keep staying silent about their negative experiences, more people will keep going through it. People criticize the big companies all the time and nobody gets worked up. Effetre clear sucks. Their 06 clear is better but their basic clear sucks. I love Effetre. Nobody cares that I may not like their basic clear. LOL If a new lampworker was looking for a good clear to encase something special, I would tell them to stay away from the crappy clear. I wouldn't tell them they were doing something wrong. Just seems like common sense.
Old 2011-07-10, 11:31am
And silence is golden

Just thought that I would share a picture of my HoneyDew sample bead. Like I said, this is one of the Devardi challenger glasses. I love how it came out. Not particularly fond of the photo though.

Old 2011-07-10, 2:42pm

Default Salmon

Well...took my Salmon pics..remember..lol..they aren't necessarily perfect as I was afraid I was going to get the cracking and I was hoping no flying glass..I am like Periwinkle there..me no like ouchies
The first is my newly fav spiral press with dark Effetre ivory SIS.
The next is free form column with goldstone dots..somewhere in there and Zimmermann dense black frit and the third is a misc trio..simple round..that I didn't smooth the hole out by mistake a short fat barrel rolled in Val Cox's Fleeting Beauty which has Z-99 in it and a barrel with The Rabbit Hutch Old Photos frit..

I usually do all my shaping with marvers or rotating so most all my beads are not perfectly shaped but I love that Cattwalk spiral press.I did overload it a bit this time..but I am happy with the results.
So..I will plan on leaving all my Devardi in my rod heater much longer than I have been doing and get it into a pretty hot flame asap..at least for Salmon..that worked!
"

Old 2011-07-10, 2:54pm

Diana-very pretty! Love the second pic the best! Thanks for sharing.
Old 2011-07-10, 2:55pm

Thanks very much,Blong..I think its my favorite also..
"

Old 2011-07-10, 3:32pm
And silence is golden

Quote:
If a new lampworker was looking for a good clear to encase something special, I would tell them to stay away from the crappy clear. I wouldn't tell them they were doing something wrong. Just seems like common sense.
Bran, I think it's important to voice your issues with particular glass colors, so that those with experience can offer some suggestions that will help out the newcomer. To dis the entire Devardi 'glass line' because you have had a bad experience with a few of the colors that you have tried, is not exactly my opinion of fair warning to the next person who is willing to give the products a try.There is a difference between sending a pound of "crappy clear" back to the vendor as opposed to sending the entire order back.

I can understand what you are purveying here, but on the other hand, some glass colors run through bad batches. OR...this is my all time mistake: I actually was doing something wrong, and the kind folks here in LE let me know how to work with the glass.

I recently posted something slightly negative about selling venues. I had just heard some horrific news about my new little unborn grandchild. I guess I wasn't very careful about how I worded my post. I received some not so pleasant feedback in that thread. I still haven't straightened that mess out. In voicing our opinions about certain glass colors, it is important not to degrade the entire product line of the company, unless all of their products are bad.

I'm not quite sure why this issue with how Kristine reacted to your harsh criticism of the Devardi glass keeps coming up in this thread, but personally I think the darn horse needs to be put to sleep as well.
Old 2011-07-10, 3:34pm

Harsh criticism? Really? Opening a box of glass and finding several broken rods, rods with inclusions, and dirty is ok? Really? Because that was my first impression. If your stuff arrives wrapped and in bubble wrap and packing peanuts then great. Mine arrived differently and with actual dirt. I assume Kristina works for the company or makes the glass herself because that is the only sane explanation for her behavior.
Old 2011-07-10, 3:37pm

Moutain Snail,
It has been well documented that people have had various problems with various Devardi colors in this thread, and one of the points of this thread is to try to help provide remedies to those problems or suggest alternatives to working the glass. That's what people are doing.
You seem as if you won't be satisfied unless and until someone agrees with you that the glass is totally crap and not worth using. And quite frankly I think it's hypocritical and unhelpful to tell people to stop being "cheerleaders," for the glass, when you think it's perfectly okay for you to keep beating your dead horse.
Old 2011-07-10, 3:38pm

On another note, I love this bead. I have 2 Lbs of salmon and it definitely is my favorite Devardi. Even if it is a little shocky. Give it nice heating in the rod warmer and introduce at the back of the flame and it's good to go.

Has anyone used the Dark Salmon and pics please?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rareripes View Post
Old 2011-07-10, 3:44pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Snail View Post
I assume Kristina works for the company or makes the glass herself because that is the only sane explanation for her behavior.
I think the glass is made in India! I might be wrong but I'm pretty sure. And I don't think kristin a works for them. She just has been using it since they came out, as well as many others in this thread.
In my opinion I really believe Kristina tried to explain herself to you and apologize. If you look throughout the thread she has offered her time and knowledge about this glass to everyone. As well as puttin up free tutorials for all of us to read. I'm truly sorry you don't see what I see in her and I wish we could help you see that. I'm not saying she is right and your wrong. I think we should just move forward from this and learn as much as we can from others.

LE has been a great place for me and I hope it is for you. You have beautiful work. I especially like the pigs you posted in the newbie thread.

Have a Happy Sunday everyone!
Old 2011-07-10, 3:44pm
StudioMarcy

Oh the salmon is lovely. I can't believe I haven't tried it. You all know that you can hold your kiln up to 1020 which makes the rod really ready for the flame. When I reheat beads to fix something, this is a great temp, (no higher) to introduce it back in. Careful about not letting them touch each other at this temp though. I just pop my rods into my kiln at 963 though and sometimes they still pop a bit, and most of the time, they don't.

Marcy Lamberson
Studio Marcy
Old 2011-07-10, 3:48pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcy View Post
Oh the salmon is lovely. I can't believe I haven't tried it. You all know that you can hold your kiln up to 1020 which makes the rod really ready for the flame. When I reheat beads to fix something, this is a great temp, (no higher) to introduce it back in. Careful about not letting them touch each other at this temp though. I just pop my rods into my kiln at 963 though and sometimes they still pop a bit, and most of the time, they don't.
Marcy, you must try salmon. It is such fun color and I can definitely see you maybe incorporating it into some of your gorgeous shells.
I do have a question though. I have a chilipepper kiln and have read on here that it should go above 1000 degrees. Do you know if this is true? I bought mine from someone and it did not come with the manual, so I have not put it over 960 yet.
Old 2011-07-10, 3:56pm

Well, I was working on a project yesterday concerning something Kristina and I had talked about. So what I did was I made a base barrel bead (pretty small) then encased it in clear. Two of each color, trans green, trans yellow and trans amber. These beads were done with tools since I wanted super consistent shapes. Two of each color are ribbed and two of each color are round. Both will be etched but I used resist on the plain rounds to do some simple dot designs. They are in the etching liquid now.

However, all four of the trans green dots have cracked straight down the mandrel. Now, I know these were not worked to hot, in fact, the core color was never heated to melting again after it was applied. My flame was very low on these and they were shaped almost entirely with bead roller. All 16 beads were made this way. All of them are fine except for the 4 trans green.

Oh, and I should mention I used trans blue and added the Devardi dichroic strips (and was finally successful in not burning the crap out of them) so I know that I could not have been working too hot.

I'm really bummed, the green is such a pretty color.

Old 2011-07-10, 3:57pm

Oh and the salmon beads are beautiful. I have a pound of it and couldn't figure out what to make with it, but it looks really nice with sis.

Old 2011-07-10, 3:58pm
Entropy increasing....

If it cracked straight down the mandrel it's most likely a thermal problem, not a compatibility crack.
Old 2011-07-10, 4:00pm
sunscreen me baby

You can definitely go higher than 1000 with your chili pepper. I have used mine to anneal boro and it goes up to 1150.

~

Last edited by SuzyQ; 2011-07-10 at 4:03pm.
Old 2011-07-10, 4:01pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevan View Post
If it cracked straight down the mandrel it's most likely a thermal problem, not a compatibility crack.
I would think that too except that this has happened before with certain colors and in a couple of days, the cracks will start radiating all through the glass. I will keep an eye on them and if nothing further develops I will go with thermal and give them another go. I do pop them in the kiln while still a bit orange and it sits at 960 so I don't know what happened.

Old 2011-07-10, 4:05pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzyQ View Post
You can definitely go higher than 1000 with your chili pepper. I have used mine to anneal boro and it goes up to 1150.

Thanks Suzy. I'm very happy to know this now as I've been wondering but just hadnth thought of posting the question
Old 2011-07-10, 4:14pm
And silence is golden

Harsh criticism? You bet!

Welcome to the world of glass rods. Or should I say 'welcome to the world of hand pulled glass'. I just got my order yesterday. There were numerous rods broken. It is all a part of the uneveness of the pull. I just take the broken bits and make some of the most gorgeous frit beads with them.

Yours didn't arrive any differently than mine. Glass rods wrapped in paper, rolled up and placed in a box that goes inside another shipping box. Got some dirty ones in there as well as inclusions. Thank my mom for teaching me how to wash art glass! You must have missed a reply of mine to you a couple of weeks ago.

Just for your information, I just received another shipment from another of my favorite vendors. One who is highly used in the art glass industry. Yes, they use the plastic wrap around each bundle of glass and then ship it in a box full of packing peanuts. Do you think that my order arrived without flaw? Heck no! There were four broken rods. There were several rods with inclusions. AND there was a lot of dirty rods. The packing peanuts had dirt on them as well. Thank my mom again for teaching me how to wash art glass.

I don't know if Kristina works for Devardi or not. I can honestly say that I am not employed by them, nor do I own any stock in the company. I am zealous just like the other Devardi fans are. I will stand up for their product. I am also a fan of Effetre, Vetrofond, CiM, Lauscha, Bullseye, Double Helix, Precision, etc, etc, etc. And will continue to support them as well.
Old 2011-07-10, 4:17pm
Entropy increasing....

I've never gotten broken rods in the mail from any vendor in the US that I have purchased from.
Old 2011-07-10, 4:31pm
And silence is golden

Quote:
I've never gotten broken rods in the mail from any vendor in the US that I have purchased from.
How fortunate for you Kevan. I have received broken rods on a couple of occasions from two different vendors. Both companies selling foreign glass from their US stores. The real kicker is that they were machine pulled, nice and straight.

Make it three vendors. I forgot one. A company that one would expect that type of service from. I could care less. It comes with the shipping territory.
Old 2011-07-10, 4:33pm
And silence is golden

BTW, Diana, your salmon beads are gorgeous.
Old 2011-07-10, 4:34pm
I fart diamonds

Quote:
Consider yourself lucky, then. And knock on wood.

Old 2011-07-10, 4:35pm
Happy Inner Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fine Folly Glassworks View Post
Bethany, what a joy that must have been! Wish I could have joined you. I went through the misery of learning to hold the mandrel left handed after reading her book, and I am so glad as a right handed person.
Just curious. So, is it natural for right-handers to hold the mandrel in their right hand?

I'd really like to try some of the Devardi colours one of these days. Many of them are TDF. I don't know how shipping to Oz would be though. I'll find out when the time comes, I suppose

rusticalsfreestyle on Instagram

SRA# P107
Old 2011-07-10, 4:40pm
I fart diamonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by essiemessy View Post
Just curious. So, is it natural for right-handers to hold the mandrel in their right hand?

I'd really like to try some of the Devardi colours one of these days. Many of them are TDF. I don't know how shipping to Oz would be though. I'll find out when the time comes, I suppose
I hold the mandrel in my left and decorate with my right. I spin with both (though not at the same time, ).

Old 2011-07-10, 4:41pm
Duchess of Dichro

Guess I am fortunate as well, never gotten broken dirty glass from a vendor!

Do not get me started on the BE glass from the GS that arrived as frit That was sent with NO packing, thrown into a box.

Old 2011-07-10, 4:43pm
Hot Glass Neophyte

I want to thank those of you who have said kind things on my behalf. I really appreciate it in light of the continuing hammering I seem to be taking.

For the record, I don't work for Devardi or anyone else. I have my own little glasswork business like many others here on LE, and out of affection for those on this Thread and Natasha (who I have formed a friendship with by email) I offer Devardi Tutorials from time to time, and they post them for free. I have a Technical Publications background, and sometimes I enjoy making a Tutorial up as much as doing the lampwork.

Devardi isn't for everyone, but those of us who enjoy working with it are really glad it is on the market. I am glad to be sharing it with those of you who do like it and the challenges and victories that come from working with it. Here's to the future and what we will continue to learn!
Closed Thread

Tags
devardi