Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2007-08-07, 8:05am

Angry Getting Better Stringers

In my inside out work, I use stringers of course..

My Question is about the burning/air bubbles that a lot of colors get easily (when I work them!) Yellow and orange get this poor effect easiest, as does a teal color I have now.. They are very opaque colors.. The clear colors such as ruby red do not have any problem with me..

I have found that by not trying to pull emergency stringers, but rather the football shape.. that I have more success.. I turn my flame to very yellow (reducing right?) but I still have a few problems...

Could anyone help!!
Old 2007-08-07, 8:08am
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

You don't need a reducing flame to pull stringers - just a regular flame is best.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2007-08-07, 11:33am
yukue fumei

some of the cad colors sublimate(?) so they need to be worked cooler. Try melting them higher up in the flame. If you don't need to be concerned for clear(and the space it leaves in the design), tube encase it with clear first then pull stringer.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
nagi

Old 2007-08-07, 11:38am
Somethings grow wild

Location: Soulsbyville in California, just down the hill from Yosemite

If you insert your rod into a clear tube, start at one end to be sure you don't get any air bubbles and melt it so that the color becomes incased then pull your stringer.
Kare

Old 2007-08-07, 11:39am
Somethings grow wild

Location: Soulsbyville in California, just down the hill from Yosemite

Oops sorry Nagi I didn't see you had already told 'em that. I got side tracked I the middle of my post.
Kare

Old 2007-08-08, 6:57am

for pulling straighter more even dia. stringers i agree the football shape is much better than streaming it off a rod. i sometimes tube encase , then gather that up a bit to re pull for evenness.
ro

Gtt Mirage torch with tanked oxygen.
Old 2007-08-08, 9:31am

Thanks for all your advice, I will have to search for the right dia. tube! That sounds great but possibly difficult (Well just have to buy many sizes to have around actually).. The clear tube should be pretty tight to the color rod?

Thanks for all of your advice tho! All very helpful..

Charlie
Old 2007-08-08, 1:22pm

yes tight and thin i find best. i attach a blow tube to the end and suck a bit of pressure to pull the air out as i encase. Milon does this technique on his how to use boro color video. close end in flame, slide in rod, tack rod at opposite end to tube just in one spot to hold it in place, punti to closed end of tube, attach blow tube if you have one to open tube end, start at closed end and work your way down to end of piece of color rod you slid in, makes a kind of wonky one, so i usually reheat a bit to pull it straighter and more even once encased.
ro

Gtt Mirage torch with tanked oxygen.

Last edited by Ro; 2007-08-08 at 2:27pm.
Old 2007-08-10, 11:38am

Charlie
I use a softer flame for some of the crayon colors. I find that too much oxygen will "stir up the glass"

Heidi

~~
~~