No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Studio

Studio -- Show us your studio setup

Old 2008-03-01, 4:56pm
NeoPhite

Question Tiny Studios (Revised)

Hey all!
What is the tiniest possible studio/workspace? That's permanent... not the kitchen table that you have to pack up every 4 hours for meal time. How much space is needed in front of the torch so as not to burn down the place?

Sorry I know this studio thing has been beaten to ultra fine frit but I don't think the smallest possible studio has been covered yet. But I could be wrong!

I see this post has been viewed but no replies so allow me to go deeper...

I'm still kinda young at torching and I want to torch at home but have no room for a nice big pretty studio, so I need something small or more correctly tiny. I do have a back porch (not enclosed) that I could set up on in the nicer season/weather. But when the elements don't warrant outdoor work I need something indoors.

If there is a thread that I am missing PLEASE feel free to direct me to it. I've cruised this forum for many many o' hours now and I've come across a lot of things , love the shed studios, thinking of throwing all the stuff out of my shed for one of those.

Thanks Ya'll
Alesia

Last edited by FrogPrincezz; 2008-03-02 at 12:41pm. Reason: No responses
Old 2008-03-02, 4:51pm
Salt Box Beads

WELCOME!!! and Hi,

I am temporarily set up in a teeny tiny bedroom with a computer, a file cabinet and my workbench. I really utilize wall space and I am using a window for temporary ventilation because DH says NO holes in the house!

My work area is about where I can fit my chair. We wanted to build a studio but we are currently fighting City hall...So maybe a Home Depot Shed or if push comes to shove a MOVE to a larger piece of property in the country!! It works for now.

I can send pics if you are interested them.

Lorraine
Old 2008-03-02, 6:22pm
honorary bead lady

Someone here had posted a pic of their tiny studio it couldn't have been much bigger than 4'x8' but I don't recall which thread it was in
Old 2008-03-02, 6:30pm

Hi Alesia and welcome to LE!
This is my tiny studio

It is in the breakfast nook of my kitchen. The enclosed, box-type work station keeps popping glass well contained. There is a ventilation system that vents from the top of the back wall out the window behind the hood. I have two rolling carts that fit against the windows on the right side of the hood when not in use. My kiln is on one and tools and glass are on the other one. The fire extinguisher is also on the second cart, but is not visible in the picture. I just keep a few rods of each color of glass on the cart and my major glass stash is in another room. Everything is within easy reach when I am set up to work. The propane is outside and the hose comes in through the bottom of the window on the right through a small board with a hole for the hose. My make-up air comes from an open window in the next room. I used to keep my oxycon on the left side of the hood, but the high humidity in the summer killed my first one. Now my oxycon is around the corner in an air conditioned room and I use a long hose to connect to the torch. The space is small and I have to keep it clean or there is no space to work, but it works great for me! Tiny can work!!

Last edited by Judi_B; 2008-03-02 at 6:33pm.
Old 2008-03-02, 6:33pm
Mr Brutus RIP

Ok, mine qualifies as small. Its 6 x 9 and I have a workbench that runs around 3 sides.
My dh gave me his tiny shed and we painted, drywalled, insulated, tiled the work counters and he put in an ac for me......nessary in florida. I torch year round in here.
The pic may give you a tiny idea of how small it is and believe me I have fit a ton of crap in there!! LOL
I have a kiln under my work bench, 3 rolling totes under the other, glass is all in the pvc fencing, a kiln behind me on a work bench, and on the same bench as the kiln is where I set up for pictures....... I have a shelf above full of small stained glass pieces and a large box on the floor with large pieces. my actuall floor space that I can roll around on my chair is about 3x4 LOL
It works great for me tho!! I could try to get a few photo shots tomorrow if you wanted to see more. You can pm me cause I'll never find this thread again LOL
sue

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2008-03-05, 4:52am
First bead: 2007-04-28

Default A tiny workplace

This is my work-area. The room also works as a study/storage room, but will soon be turned into a nursery

Here's a link to a few pictiures
http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=65723

Ann
Old 2008-03-10, 5:23pm
Senior Moment

My first work area was on the enclosed front porch and consisted of a chair and tv tray(about 18x24 inches).
Now I have an 8ft table of which 2x2.5ft is actual work area for one torch. the rest of it is a second work area, kiln, and two glass storage units. I have a bit of cement board that leans against the wall to protect it from the heat and bits of glass.

Old 2008-03-14, 8:10am
Bead Crazy!

Here's my little corner of heaven.

We have a very long eating area off of the kitchen. I put up some room dividers from Pier One and my studio is behind the dividers.

The space for my work area is 8 ft wide including to the right where the glass is kept. It is 5 ft deep. The kiln is in the garage...so after I make a bead, I walk about 5 ft, open the door and stick it in the kiln.

The hood is vented through the attic.

Old 2008-03-14, 8:17am
birdergirl ~o~

Mine is 6 x 8 but includes 2 doors that I need to keep clear for walking through! So my acual working space is abour 6 x 5!

~raised by wolves~sleeps with foxes~cooks for crows~feeds the bears~scrabbles with squids~antisymmetrical~politically agnostic.

Torchering glass since spring '06~ gold cricket & oxycon!~
Old 2008-03-14, 8:38am

For years I worked in our entry way, which was 4x8 and I had to leave room for the front door to open. With a window and a door, at least the ventilation wasn't a problem!

Ginko Beads
Old 2008-04-01, 11:03pm

I got 5 x 8 and one 8' side is open. It's half of my laundry. In that I have two metal cupboards and one wooden pantry cupboard. My table which is 30" sq and a rolling chair. Unfortunately there is no room to roll it! The tall narrow pantry cupboard holds most of my glass. The annealer sits on top of a metal cupboard and the other metal cupboard has my presses and mandrels on top, and storage inside. I just have room for my O2 Generator in one corner.
My hubby has floated the idea that we rent out the house, leave our jobs, buy a 4WD and a caravan and go travelling,working around Australia for a few years. I said I would be happy to go but where would we fit my lampworking stuff in? He said I could get a hothead and downsize but I came back with, he could sell his top notch racing cycles and just have a mountain bike for road races and everything else as well. Now I think he is seeing it my way.

But seriously, I would go if we could set it up for lampworking too! I have been wondering how much I could fit in a small space like the lounge area of a trailer (caravan to us)? I know quite a few US people have done it so I think I will try and plan it out to see how much I would need at a minimum.
The annealer is lightweight but you add in the glass, generator, presses its getting to be fairly weighty to be pulling around. I have been checking out WendyKi thread about her converted trailer!

Kym
Old 2008-04-01, 11:21pm

wasn't someone in a 1/2 bathroom, with a temporary table positioned over the toilet? Oh, and they had to move out when someone else needed the room. Now that was a tiny studio! Val

Old 2008-04-02, 6:31am

I used to have a 3 foot table near the garage doors with a strong fan. I'm not saying it was perfect but the incense worked and I never got headaches.

I think you want to be where you can remove fumes and not have fuel in your home. Other than that if you are organized a few feet is all you *have* to have.
Old 2008-04-06, 8:34am

I don’t know if this qualifies as a tiny studio, but it is portable!
I recently moved into a small place and I don’t have any space in the house that I can use for the torch. I am having a studio built but I don’t expect to be in it for at least a month and don’t want to wait that long to torch again. So yesterday I found this kitchen cart at Target, set it up last night and plan to give it a test drive today. I'll just wheel it out, place it in front of the door and fire it up! The propane is outside, and the oxycon is in a nearby room, the drawers slide out so I can move them for leg room if I need it. It looks like it will work in theory...
Attached Images

Old 2008-04-07, 6:54am
Resident hippie

Let us know how it went Elleth
Beadanna
Old 2008-04-07, 7:52am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beadanna View Post
Let us know how it went Elleth
Beadanna
I fired up the torch last night and it worked like a charm!
The work surface is small so I can only have my water dish a few tools and a few rods of glass handy, but that's really all I need anyway. If I am going to have a longer torch session I'll probably pop open a TV tray, place it next to me and put more glass on it. The height is good and after sliding the drawers away from me just a bit I had plenty of leg room. I need to get a quick connect for the propane hose so I can disconnect it when I'm done, something I didn’t think about until after my torch session last night. It's small, but in a tight space I think it's a good solution!
Old 2008-04-29, 4:13am
Certified Glassaholic!

OK, that's got to be about the smallest "studio" I've ever seen. At least, it's the smallest workspace I've ever seen I'll be I've got one of the smaller workrooms. We converted the pantry into a workspace. It's 70% done. Functional just not pretty. When it looks more put together I'll take a pic!

Old 2008-04-29, 11:34am

Ours is 6X9 and has a window on one side. Works nicely for us with plenty of light and a breeze comes through constantly, our carport acts as a wind tunnel. Currently on MAPP gas containers, going to bulk propane as soon as the last can runs out.