LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Studio

Studio -- Show us your studio setup

Old 2009-10-21, 9:06am

Default Protecting the kiln floor with fiber paper.

I've been meaning to find a way to protect my kiln floor in case of accident. I have a Paragon SC2. So, I bought so fiber paper. The only kind I've found so far is the Bullseye brand really thin paper not the one that I think is called 110(?). I've read that this Bullseye paper is only supposed to be used once.

But I wonder if this is only for fusing & that to be used just to protect the floor for annealing our beads I might be able to just keep that paper in there (ie. the temps don't go as high as in fusing & the glass isn't fusing on top of the paper). Does anyone have any advice?

Also, can I just cut the paper & put in the shelf or do I need to "prepare" it some how.
Old 2009-10-21, 9:41am

Its going to dissentigrate (sp!) and become nasty powder that you really dont want to breathe if you fire it too many times. Couldn't you use some fiber blanket, or at least fiber felt? or even, a thin kiln shelf?

As for preparing it, you dont need to do anything special, just cut it to size.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

handmade with my headphones on...
Old 2009-10-21, 10:12am
Ex-lurker

Why not just put some kiln wash on the floor and be done with it? Do not use the thin paper.....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Life is a journey - travel it well"
Old 2009-10-21, 10:46am
Did someone say SALE?

I just bought a kiln shelf and put my beads on a metal rest over the shelf.
Old 2009-10-21, 11:14am

Kiln shelf definately.I've had kilns for yrs. And always use the shelf for it, along with the kiln wash on the shelf and kiln .If the shelf get ruined just get a new one. Play if safe that way.
Janet
Old 2009-10-21, 8:40pm

Thanks for your answers!

I did buy the thin paper. It was the only thing they came up with when I tried to describe in Spanish what I wanted. They do have something called "manta" which literally means "blanket". This is the stuff they cut up and put in fusing if you want to keep that part of the fused glass separate. (does that make sense?) That could be the fiber blanket. That's a better option? Do I just cut it & pop it in?

Kiln wash is definitely available. I know this is totally superficial, but I kinda don't want to "dirty" my first very-own lovely fresh new kiln! I've only been using it for about 6 months and it still have the 'new car look'. But... of course, I'm also aware that's it's probably best to protect, just in case. If this is really the best option, I will do it!

Now, I have a kiln shelf that came with the kiln. It's still wrapped up in plastic! So I have to kiln wash it first, right?

Thanks again!
Old 2009-10-21, 8:46pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Several coats of kiln wash are an absolute necessity for a new kiln! You are not dirtying it - you are finalizing its preparation. You should kiln wash the bottom of the kiln (assuming it is made of fire brick and not fiber) and then also kiln wash the shelf you put in it.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2009-10-22, 5:50am

I do not use a shelf, just kiln wash on the floor of the kiln. My relay went and the kiln temperature climbed and the beads became pancakes. The kiln wash did it's thing and I could just pick up the beads when it cooled.....

Perfect answer below!
Quote:
Originally Posted by squid View Post
Several coats of kiln wash are an absolute necessity for a new kiln! You are not dirtying it - you are finalizing its preparation. You should kiln wash the bottom of the kiln (assuming it is made of fire brick and not fiber) and then also kiln wash the shelf you put in it.

Viking knit End Caps for sale:
[/url]https://heatherferman.etsy.com[/url]
Old 2009-10-22, 11:55am

I know it's not "dirty"... But it has that "new kiln smell" !!
Old 2009-10-22, 12:12pm

When you get around to using Kiln-wash. Put down at least 3 layers. Each layer should be applied at a 90 degree angle to the last layer. Let the layers dry well between each additional layer. The kiln wash lasts a long time and doesn't had a noticeable odor to your kiln. The first firing after washing will smell a bit, but after that, it's gone.
Joan
Old 2009-10-22, 6:47pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by papimom View Post
When you get around to using Kiln-wash. Put down at least 3 layers. Each layer should be applied at a 90 degree angle to the last layer. Let the layers dry well between each additional layer. The kiln wash lasts a long time and doesn't had a noticeable odor to your kiln. The first firing after washing will smell a bit, but after that, it's gone.
Joan
Thanks! Just to mention, I wasn't really talking about the smell. I was sort of playing off the whole "new car smell" thing when you get your new car. You want it to keep that shiny new car look/smell as long as possible!

You are all wonderful. I appreciate your comments!
Old 2009-10-26, 9:25am
KILN BUILDIN FOOL

Kiln wash for sure, papers and fiber blanket will not save you kiln, glass eats both of them.

Mike

When you tell lie's about someone, well you get what you get.
Old 2009-10-28, 3:44pm
Sheryll

WAIT - I hope you get this in time. Please make sure your SC2 has kiln brick inside it before you use kiln wash. My SC2 is not kiln brick - it's a ceramic fiber chamber - I would not kiln wash that. I use a kiln shelf which I just lay right on the bottom and use a kiln stand to rest my mandrels on.

Old 2009-10-30, 1:30pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven Wylder View Post
WAIT - I hope you get this in time. Please make sure your SC2 has kiln brick inside it before you use kiln wash. My SC2 is not kiln brick - it's a ceramic fiber chamber - I would not kiln wash that. I use a kiln shelf which I just lay right on the bottom and use a kiln stand to rest my mandrels on.

Hum... I'm not sure if it's brick or not. It did come with a shelf. Did you kiln wash the shelf? Do I need to go anything special to the kiln shelf or just pop it in? (besides apparently reading the booklets that came with it again! )
Old 2009-11-01, 7:25pm
honorary bead lady

KW the shelf too
Old 2009-11-07, 7:04pm
a pox upon an idiot :..

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLASSFREEK View Post
Kiln wash for sure, papers and fiber blanket will not save you kiln, glass eats both of them.

Mike
Mike, I have a Fuseboxll and have a fiber blanket down, have for many years. When my relay went I had a bead meltdown and the blanket held up, I just peeled the blobs off the blanket. Are there different types/grades of fiber blankets?
Old 2009-11-08, 10:28am

I put down some unglazed ceramic tile on my kiln floor and put the kiln wash on them. They were super cheap, it cost me $3 for them and I cut them to fit snug. I've done fusing on them as well as my beads and there hasn't been an issue.
Old 2009-11-11, 12:28am
KILN BUILDIN FOOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starrr View Post
Mike, I have a Fuseboxll and have a fiber blanket down, have for many years. When my relay went I had a bead meltdown and the blanket held up, I just peeled the blobs off the blanket. Are there different types/grades of fiber blankets?
Must not have been on boil for to long and yes there are different grades of Fb I use a realy good one
in all my kilns I sell And is good for about 5 hours at 2800 on an over fire.
You can use kiln wash on fiber board to, wont heart a thing.

Mike

When you tell lie's about someone, well you get what you get.