Lampwork Etc.

Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Beads of Courage > Beads of Courage

Beads of Courage -- Discussion for all things Beads of Courage; the only not-for-profit, arts-in-medicine program putting to use the talents of glass beadmakers to uplift children dealing with life threatening illnesses, their families and the people who care for them. Families, clinicians and artists alike are welcome to join in! (Thank you to Lampwork Etc. for supporting Beads of Courage and helping to foster communication!) PHOTOS OF INDIVIDUALS OR CHILDREN ONLY ALLOWED WITH THEIR SPECIFIC CONSENT.

Old 2010-06-21, 1:12pm
Oh my!

Default Help get me started please

I am very new to glass and never really had any interest in making beads. But then I read about BOC and I want to contribute. I have some questions that I am hoping someone (maybe Robert) can answer. I have mandrels that are 1/8" in size, is this going to be big enough? If possible, could someone post a picture of the desired size bead next to a penny so I could get an idea of the size? My daughter is a Girl Scout but doesn't work in glass (a bit scared of the flame). I was wondering if beads made from clay (fimo, etc)would be appropriate? I am sure I will have more questions, so please be patient.
Thanks,
Tweeky
Old 2010-06-21, 1:15pm
Sheryll

Check out this thread:
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I think it answers most of your questions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2010-06-21, 1:17pm
StudioMarcy

Hi Tweeky,
Welcome to our fun. Yes, mandrels that size will work. The really skinny ones, (1/16th) are a little too thin, the next size up is 3/32 and then your rods come next, so the size is great! Make your bead about the size of a nickel or bigger if you want and nice smooth ends, so there is nothing sharp to cut little fingers or the cords they carry them on.

I do not know about beads of other materials and what the program allows there. I'm afraid that I'm just a glass girl. But thank you so much for getting involved. We all appreciate it. And you might look to see if there is an ISGB chapter somewhere near you. Beginning beadmakers always have fun meeting other folks in person and can see demos and chat beads that way.

take care,
Marcy

Marcy Lamberson
Studio Marcy
Old 2010-06-22, 4:48am

Hi Tweeky,
Welcome and thank you for your interest and support for Beads of Courage. All good advice above. We do use beads other than glass for our Acts of Courage beads. Both polymer clay and ceramic clays are popular media for these beads. Check out our page for bead makers at:
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

and:

for more details on both.

Cheers,
Robert
Old 2010-06-22, 3:21pm
Oh my!

Thank you all for the great information. I am not sure how long it will take before I get good enough to donate, but I'm working on it