Lampwork Etc.

Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Business as usual > Website help and critique

Website help and critique -- Get assistance with your website.

Old 2009-11-08, 8:27am
Growing Edge Glass

Default where do I register a domain name???

Okay all you computer wise/internet/website pro's.......How do I register a domain name? Do I have to choose a hosting service first or is there someplace where one can register a domain name??

Thanks for your help!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-glass cabochons, clay pendants~~~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-jewelry~~~
~~~
Old 2009-11-08, 8:54am
Critter Mom

I registered mine with Yahoo for about $10. Here's a link that explains the process:

http://www.thesitewizard.com/archive...erdomain.shtml

Old 2009-11-08, 10:00am
Growing Edge Glass

Thanks Bonnie...I'll check it out!

-jewelry~~~
~~~
Old 2009-11-08, 7:45pm

there are you can go thru www.godaddy.com
Old 2009-11-08, 8:32pm

After a great deal of research and agonizing, I did it with www.Namecheap.com .
"Hatred is never ended by hatred but by love, and a misunderstanding is never ended by argument but by tact, diplomacy, conciliation, and a sympathetic desire to see the other person's viewpoint." ~The Buddha | “We are all humans and none of us is more human than the other.” Romeo Dallaire "Never look down on anybody unless you're helping him up." ~ Rev.Jesse Jackson]
Old 2009-11-09, 6:35am
Growing Edge Glass

Thanks Billybow and Janice....I went to the site that Bonnie posted and chose to register with Go Daddy. Thanks again for your input!!

-jewelry~~~
~~~
Old 2012-02-16, 4:01am
Resident hippie

Mikelene - can you tell me why you chose Go Daddy rather than namecheap please? My friend who is doing my website has told me she will register my domain name for €10 a year or €16 for two. I'm wondering what could be wrong with one that charges only €2.99 a year.

Have FUN!!!!! It's not about perfection..... Leslie - [not so] Crazy Woman

Old 2012-02-16, 8:27am

I use Namecheap, too. They do have many 2.99 domains but these days most of them are .info instead of .com so GoDaddy is probably cheaper if you have to have a .com extension. I don't use GoDaddy simply because they choose the low road in advertising but I am weird about that stuff

Old 2012-02-16, 8:41am
Growing Edge Glass

Anna....when I was looking to register a few domain names back in 2009(this is an old thread), I didn't really do alot of researching but rather just chose the more popular online place.

GoDaddy was competitive with all the other sites and I only wanted to register my domain, have not yet set up my own website.

I did register as a .com vs other extensions..so maybe, as Denielle suggested, that is why namecheap is cheaper? I honestly didn't put alot of time into researching any of it.

-jewelry~~~
~~~

Last edited by Truewealth; 2012-02-16 at 8:50am.
Old 2012-02-16, 8:49am
Sheila Davis Designs

I used Godaddy too. Their service is excellent.

Old 2012-02-16, 5:10pm

Be sure wherever you register won't hold the domain hostage if you change hosts.

I've used doubledomains for years.

If you cannot stand behind our troops, please feel free to stand in front of them.
Old 2012-03-04, 2:23pm
They see me rollin'...

Yeah, I had that problem, Melinda. I hosted my website with iPowerweb for years and bought my domain name through them. When I wanted to change hosting companies, I couldn't get them to give up control of the domain name. iPowerweb said this other company had to do it, and the other company said that iPowerweb had to do it.

I finally gave up and lost my domain name. Now it is some weird asian website.

So does namecheap or any of these keep control of the name? I'm going to register 2 or 3 variations of my old domain name but I don't want that to happen again!!

Thanks,
Patti

-Patti
Old 2012-03-04, 5:30pm
Salt Box Beads

I use Bluehost.
Old 2012-03-10, 3:34am

I always go for the best deal I can get, and what seems to work for me is to search cheap domain name on google. Usually their ads will have someone with a great sale price. I've used godaddy for a long time, but since knowing that their ceo hunts elephants, and they were supporters of SOPA I've been moving my domains away from them. As far as domain registrars not giving up your domain, that is something I've never personally come across, but I must say they don't make it easy. What you have to do is go into a control panel and find where to unlock the domain name. Then you have to get a key to be able to send the domain name to the new registrar, It's kind of a pain. I would suggest going with Namecheap. Their prices are very reasonable, and they are very professional. Bluehost is good if you have your site hosted through them. I wouldn't pay more than $12 a year or you're getting ripped off.

Old 2012-05-26, 3:14pm
Living Life Creatively

I'm looking into registering a new domain name and just wanted to see if I could get some updates on how people feel about Namecheap and some of the other sites? How can I find out how hard it will be to transfer my name to another company later on if I'm not happy with them? Thanks so much!
-
-
-
Old 2012-07-04, 9:44pm
Dix Harrison

I registered first with godaddy and started work on my website. Just so happened a friend dropped by the site before it was ready and noticed godaddy was using it for THEIR advertisements. That just didn't set right with me. Probably only have myself to blame for not checking earlier, but didn't like getting blind-sided by that. I will not do business with them again.
Old 2012-07-18, 1:24pm

Do you mean that they have parked their advertisement page on your domain name?