No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2011-08-14, 1:14pm
Wicked Mean Redhead

Default Need suggestion for a new kiln

DH has offered to set me up with studio space outside so I can enjoy my two favorite things. I need a small, portable kiln that I can use to anneal my beads. I would appreciate any suggestions. I don't have alot of money so it can't be an expensive one. Any help will be appreciated.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2011-08-14, 1:40pm
Maria B @ Indone6ix

I use Jen Ken, I never ever have problems with it. It's not that small tho, but in case I want to do fusing someday I don't have to buy another kiln. Have fun setting up your studio!

Old 2011-08-14, 1:51pm

Chili Peppers are very portable. Even though I have bigger kilns, I use my Chili Pepper most of the time for annealing beads.
Old 2011-08-14, 2:10pm
Wicked Mean Redhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by born2snooze View Post
I use Jen Ken, I never ever have problems with it. It's not that small tho, but in case I want to do fusing someday I don't have to buy another kiln. Have fun setting up your studio!
I have a Skutt for fusing. Just want a portable for outside work.

Old 2011-08-14, 2:38pm
A True Woofer

I agree with the suggestion of a chili pepper. Very portable.

Old 2011-08-14, 6:07pm
AKA Annan Designs

I love my Chilipepper. Easy to use and portable.

Peg
Old 2011-08-14, 7:00pm

I love my chillipepper too! Not cheap (no kiln is cheap) but very, very portable and doesn't take up a lot of space.
Old 2011-08-14, 7:09pm

I've heard a lot of great things about the Glass Hive kilns, so much so I have one on layaway right now.

Once a Marine, Always a Marine! Semper Fi!
Old 2011-08-15, 1:45am
Naysayer

^Ditto

I like their product and service. Layaway plan is nice too, which I am also doing for a second one.
It's almost done
Old 2011-08-15, 4:14am
A True Woofer

I love the glasshive kilns, too, but they're heavy and less portable than a chilipepper.

Old 2011-08-15, 5:04am

I love my chilipepper. I can take it with me if I'm going somewhere I'll be torching. I even brought it on vacation. It weights about 25 to 30 lbs and I think it is quite portable. I love it.
Old 2011-08-15, 6:33am

Agree with the chilli pepper kiln. It is the tool box kiln.
Mine went through the fire. Just need to get it to them to fix. So that is another one
that I can save. It is easy to use also.

Rose Leslie
Old 2011-08-15, 7:03am

Another vote for Glass Hive kilns. I've got one and it's great.

Robert
Old 2011-08-15, 9:16am

If you already have a kiln why not just get a thrift store crockpot, some vermiculite, and batch anneal your beads later.

The blogs of your fellow LE'ers are here...

And lookie, it's all about me... ***
Old 2011-08-15, 9:28am
da General

Glass Hive kilns have handles on the top - it's a bit heavy but do-able as far as it being portable is concerned. The Short Guy is lighter but doesn't give you as much room for beads.

Personally I'd take a brick-lined kiln over a fiber-lined one like the Chilli Pepper. But that's just my own personal preference.

|
|
|
|
Old 2011-08-15, 2:50pm
Queen Tut ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayley View Post
Glass Hive kilns have handles on the top - it's a bit heavy but do-able as far as it being portable is concerned. The Short Guy is lighter but doesn't give you as much room for beads.

Personally I'd take a brick-lined kiln over a fiber-lined one like the Chilli Pepper. But that's just my own personal preference.
This. Except to add: a short guy is 1/2 size of a regular guy, which I personally think is plenty of room considering you want portability.

Old 2011-08-15, 2:53pm
Will work for Glass

I agree about glass hive and about brick. Uses less energy because of the brick.

I have the short guy and love him!

Northern Mermaid Beads

Old 2011-08-15, 4:00pm
offically down under

I've got a Glasshive that I LOVE and the customer service is second to none. I accidentally fat fingered the program and Pam was able to get me to reprogram it and it's working like a dream.