Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Studio

Studio -- Show us your studio setup

Old 2006-11-06, 6:23pm
Procrastinate Now!!

Default Question on Glass Organization (not storage)..

Hi Guys... I'm wondering how everyone keeps track of their glass. I read in one thread where Shawnette organizes hers by the color wheel. I'd sure love to see a picture of that. Plus.. what do you do when a new color is added in the middle of everything else (i.e. all those different corals)... do you reorganize??

I'm sure some people do it by glass numbers, within glass manufacturer, within COE... etc.

I'm hoping for pictures and layout descriptions (not overly detailed of course, unless you really want to )

Personally, I'm going to have 4 mfrs in my house. Bullseye, Effetre, Vetrofond, and Lausha... Oh Wait... there's all those yummy 104s... Rons Glass, ASK (gotta have those!), Messy colors, and Double Helix... and I guess whatever else they come up with.

Those who restrain desire do so because theirs is weak enough to be restrained.
Old 2006-11-06, 7:24pm
rainbowchasingtimewaster

Here are my glass drawers - Craftsman rolling cabinets.
I also have a rather non-interesting drawer full of clear that I didn't include here.
opaque greens, blues
opaque yellow, orange, red, brown
opaque pink, purple, coral
misc lauscha, ivory, white, black and clear
transparent green thru grey, opaque neutrals
transparent rubino thru aqua

Here is where I put my smaller quantity glass. Right now I have ASK 104, filigrana, gaffer and some extra stringers, along with a pile of extra dark 256 pink that I haven't put into the drawer yet.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Lori Peterson - Try telling a Dachshund no and you will understand the true meaning of futility.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

*f

Last edited by loribeads; 2006-11-06 at 7:29pm.
Old 2006-11-06, 7:27pm
Procrastinate Now!!

Very Pretty!! Yeah, I was wondering about rubber bands. As I'm organizing today, I'm taking them all off... sometimes scraping them off. Looks as if you solved that problem by using those hair thingymabobbers.

Old 2006-11-06, 7:30pm
rainbowchasingtimewaster

Yes! Hair thingymabobbers are the best!!!

Lori Peterson - Try telling a Dachshund no and you will understand the true meaning of futility.

*f

Old 2006-11-06, 7:31pm
Procrastinate Now!!

I had my stringers in those ice cube trays, but I was afraid they'd topple over at some point. Maybe when I get the studio moved inside, I won't have to worry so much.

Old 2006-11-06, 10:43pm
Corgi Cult Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadiesmom
Very Pretty!! Yeah, I was wondering about rubber bands. As I'm organizing today, I'm taking them all off... sometimes scraping them off. Looks as if you solved that problem by using those hair thingymabobbers.
Just make sure you get the ones that don't have any metal on them.

Kathy

Old 2006-11-09, 10:10am
Button Queen

Well, I am a dutiful anal Virgo type. All my glass is individually labeled (yes, every rod - did I mention I was anal...?). I have 2 storage units that my husband built. I will try to remember to get pics today to show off! One if for Bullseye, and the other for Effetre/Vetrofond. I figure the Effetre/Vet is so close anyway, why bother separating them.

The Bullseye is arranged by number at this point - but I just got the studio pack, so it was easy to do. I also have some odd-lots, so they're at the end. I would imagine that as they add new colors, I will NOT re-arrange everythign to get them back in numerical order.

The E/V is somewhat numerical, but not really. It's a mix between numerical and by color. That one row of nothing but Corals really threw off my organization, I kept moving things around every time I got a new coral.

In order to assist finding what I'm looking for, I have a glass layout document (shamelessly ripped off Tink's - thanks Tink!) that lists where everything is. So I can always go look it up if I can't find it right away.

The bottom row of the Bullseye cabinet has the Miscellaneous stuff - a couple of ASK colors, some filigrana, what little Lauscha I have. I'm thinking I'm going to be needing another cabinet soon...! LOL! Unfortunately I don't have room for another one...
Old 2006-11-09, 1:48pm

Default Glass sorting

Ok.
Each coe has it's own tin pie pate for stringers, twisties, and shorts. they are about a 9x9 metal pan -- stackable.
then each brand of glass gets it's own shelf 4 foot by 2 foot. Then on that shelf there is a system of cut fence rails that give me dividers. in each divider are the rods arranged by color and individually labeled with sharpies. The glass is laid out by number. To keep track of inventory there is an excell spread sheet that is updated after each torching session.
Jen
Old 2006-11-10, 6:24am

Barbara,
Fess up. Just how long do you think you'll survive leaving the Bullseye out of order when they come up with new colors? I see an occasional rearrange.

Seriously, your labels are the best. As I get all my rods transitioned from 1/2 rods to 1/3 rods I plan to start labeling a lot more of mine.
Old 2006-11-12, 11:44am

I started out real organized. Put them in according to the color chart. Then they started adding new colors. IN between the ones I already had. Then I bought some Lauscha. Then I got a deal on a WHOLE lotta hand pulled colors (thank you Arrow Springs!) so now I have the hand pulled colors separate from the rest, the Lauscha on top of the Effetre, the Vetrofond next to the bulk Effetre and the Bullseye next to the VF. Double Helix (what precious little I have) is on top of the VF.

Good thing we're moving next year so I'll be FORCED to rearrange everything in a better way. I'm thinking maybe the Bullseye should go on top where it's really separate from everybody else.

Old 2006-11-12, 5:22pm
Salt Box Beads

Hi Denise, because our home is currently on the market I had to dismantle my studio and move to a bare bones set up into the garage.... It is comfortable but small. I went to a dollar store and bought plastic milk crates, had DH cut me two lengths of white PVC pipe 7'' and 9" and I filled each milk crate with as many upright PVC tubes as they would hold.

I have moretti and I arranged one of the crates with my most used glass: black, white, clear, ambers, ivories, copper greens, turquoise etc, and my favorite stringers. Then I used a crate for each of the color types of glass: transparents in one, pastels in another etc. and then also the opalinos and alabasters in one.

I have the used shorter lengths and in a popsicle freezing tray and jars at my station I have the shorties. I also have an empty crate that I choose all of the glass I think I want to use that day and take it over the station and the rest of the crates are over on another table up against the wall. This is working very well for me as I only have room on my 6' table for one or two crates. Keeps me pretty organized too. It was also very cheap storage because the crates were only a dollar. Let me know if you want pics..
Lorraine
Old 2006-11-12, 6:32pm

Hair thingys!!!! I never would have thought, but I'm tired of goopy rubber bands. So smart!

Become a fan on Facebook:
Old 2006-11-13, 10:34am

Lori,
All I have to say about your glass is 2 things! and, when can I come over to play??!!! LOLOLOL
Beautiful collection, and great storage!!
Josie
Beads of a Feather

Old 2006-12-14, 9:25pm
rainbowchasingtimewaster

Thank you Josie! Anytime!

*f

Old 2007-02-25, 3:48pm
Fancy Mammal

I just came looking for a response to this exact question. I'm in the process of putting in decent shelving for my glass. And I'm hoping (against all probablity?) to put the glass in the cubbys just once.

I'm stumped on the color / product number question. It seems like organizing by color would save time, making it easy to find that purple or green when you want it? (leaving a few spaces so that when new colors come out they can be incorporated without moving *everything*!)

Or do you find you just get used to where things are, and it doesn't matter?

I do keep my different COEs separated because not doing that seems to beg for disaster.

But then the question of the "slightly different" COEs that can be touchy, like Lauscha, comes up. Do you keep those apart?

And thanks for everyone's comments and pictures so far, it's helped me at least!

Shelby