LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Studio

Studio -- Show us your studio setup

Old 2013-07-09, 7:48am

Thank you - I have started the process of putting everytnhing back yesterday. When I got home from work my boys had moved all of my things back into the studio for me! Gotta love when that happens. I will snap some pics tonight

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2013-07-11, 5:19pm

Great space! I bet you are getting really excited. Congrats.
Old 2013-07-20, 7:40pm

Default Finally Finished

Finally Finished!!!! So I still have some organizing to do but I am so happy to say I have finished my studio expansion. It took longer than I thought, and it has been a heck of a ride!

This is the space that I added to the old studio. Straight ahead to the back wall is where I torch. I have built the benches so I could stand to work if I wanted..... which is fantastic!

This is a child's bookshelf that I bought off of Craigslist and used for my glass storage - I actually bought 3 and used the other 2 for my fused glass items.

I bought these organizers for all of my jewelry findings and beadable items.

My son has his own bench for making my bullet earrings.

A close up of my torching area.

I bought these benches for extra seating and storage for all of my shipping items.

My little shipping area and soon to be my photo cube set-up

And last pic is of my shelf for my finished products and packing supplies.

Thank you all for coming along on this very LONG journey

Last edited by Very Glassy; 2013-07-20 at 7:46pm.
Old 2013-07-20, 7:48pm

Amazing! What a wonderful space!
Old 2013-07-21, 4:22am

I'm having serious shed envy! It looks great.
Old 2013-07-21, 5:41am

Gorgeous Lori!! You (and your hubby) have done an awesome job. Wow, let the burning begin!!!!

~
~
~
~
Old 2013-07-21, 12:11pm

Thank you! I have been torching this weekend for about 3 hours each morning, getting up at 6 ish - it has been in the 90's here with 90% humidity. I have a 14,000 BTU AC coming - I hope that can keep it cool

Old 2013-07-23, 8:21am
dances with ideas...

Sweeeeet! So spacious and beautiful! Congrats!!

Old 2013-07-23, 1:02pm
Somewhat out there!

Wow, that's fantastic. You guys did good

Julianne
Old 2013-07-23, 1:42pm
TJ

Looks so polished! Wonderful studio

Tami
My Mission and metier: to mindfully and meticulously master the movement of marvelous molten, both mentally and manually, in order to metamorphosis a melting mass into meretricious, memorable makings.

Last edited by TJ; 2013-07-23 at 1:52pm.
Old 2013-07-23, 8:27pm
Miata and Sunshine! Yay!

Would you like to come and organize mine? That studio is beyond amazing!

Contributing member of the EPIC FLOUNCE thread 2013
Proud member of YOU PEOPLE thread.
Old 2013-07-27, 9:25am
Dix Harrison

Wowzers! Nice, nice, nice!
Old 2013-08-02, 3:40am

That is really lovely. So organized and seems light and airy! Congrats and enjoy!!

jen
Old 2013-08-03, 6:35am
Flamewoman

Your studio is beyond amazing, I love almost everything you did here. Only one thing concerns me, especially since you have a 12 year old working in there too. Your torch ventilation. Years ago there was an article in a glass magazine that had special photography of the noxious fume a torch puts out. It rises up and curles around, and will fill the room with nox. Your type of ventilation does not capture it and evacuate it. Most of it will stay in the room, circulating in your air. The only way to capture this fume is a hood, and I dont see any replacement, or make up air vents. It doesn't look like it would take much to do this.

This is my hood with replacement air vents at back of bench. I have one big 900cfm fan pulling the air out, if you light an incence at where the torch face is, you will not smell a thing in the room. We have also tested it with a piece of newpaper that was lit and then blown out. All smoke goes out, and fast. The replacement air allows the room to retain its airconditioning or heat, depending on the season. It would be better with sides, but this is really pretty good. This is an old shot of bench while building the shed, I put tile on the bench. Dale helped me with my ventilation plans.

You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never
know how soon it will be too late.

PLEASE like my page!
Old 2013-08-04, 4:04am

Thank you Mary. I used to have a setup similar to what you have - well it was a Barley Box of sorts. Then I found this link while I was rebuilding my studio and rethought the setup.

http://www.frantznewsletter.com/2010...t-ventilation/

I have a very large can fan and it sucks the flame right into it - and I have tried the incense and burning paper test. This setup actually drew more of the smoke away from me that the "box" so I went with it.

As far as the makeup air I was under the impression that I just needed a window or vent in the space. I do leave the 2 large shed doors open when I torch or I have the windows open. I do have a outside vent in the side wall for winter ventilation - I hope that is sufficient..... your thoughts.

Old 2013-08-04, 7:27am

Location: Northern Idaho ~ a Stones throw from both Canada & Montana (and a short jaunt to Washington!)

I your new studio expansion! I so enjoy seeing everyone's wonderful studio space ~ so fun!

Congratulations on the completion of your wonderful lampwork haven ~

I am going to take your cue and see if I can find some of those neat children's bookshelves for my glass storage, very clever idea indeed!
Old 2013-08-04, 1:47pm
Flamewoman

That article looked convincing enough Lori, I would like to hear from Dale on his take on this concept.Dale? you there?
I wish I had that magazine in front of me, it had some special photography that actually showed the gasses released in a working torch. The problems with the picture like the one in the article in your link is that the torch doesn't look like it has full oxy, it's still rather red and bushy, and it doesn't have glass in front of it melting and spewing the gasses all over, which I believe it would. Would be great to have both going, the one like you have and a hood too. But for me, I choose the hood and a big ass fan.
I also have a sash door directly behind me and I always crack that too.
Wish my studio was as big as yours, you are lucky to have so much room.
What ever your choice in ventilation, at least we are thinking about it. I have met, and know not just a few flameworkers that think an open window is fine.......not.

PLEASE like my page!
Old 2013-08-04, 8:28pm
grama punky - class junky

Congrats! It looks wonderful.

Old 2013-08-05, 7:56am

Thank you! I am going to do some more research - I can always switch up the ventilation - thank you for caring

Old 2013-08-07, 6:46am
Flamewoman

You are most welcome Lori, I do indeed care. May you live long and prosper.

PLEASE like my page!