Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2017-05-20, 7:06am

Default 2 of my favorite skeleton keys have cracked

I have been wearing the one on the left for a couple of weeks, but looked down yesterday, and half of the bead was gone! So I checked my other recent keys, and the one on the left with Brad's striking glass has cracks running down each side of the glass. I am so sad, as that was some of my best color with Brad's glass. The one on the right seems fine, so far. Also glad i hadn't tried to sell them yet!

I've never had any problems with my traditional round beads cracking, but on these, i had let the glass flow around abstractly. They went straight to kiln. Was it not enough insurance heat? Maybe too thin in places? So frustrating, as I really liked the look.
Attached Images

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

follow me on Instagram @tinkercreekcreations
Old 2017-05-20, 12:49pm

From what I understand, rounded shapes are simply more structurally sound (the stress is dispersed equally all around), so the asymmetry may have contributed to them cracking. I take it that they're not "loose" on the keys, that they're bonded right to the metal? In that case them being thinner probably didn't help either, since the shrinkage of glass to metal ratios are made worse.

Sorry to hear they broke, you're right they're awesome looking.
Old 2017-05-20, 2:41pm

Metal is a heat sink, so it pulls heat out of the core of the bead. Keep that in mind when you are giving insurance heat.
Old 2017-05-20, 4:24pm

Thank you Beatrix and Kathy! I'm sure I probably didn't give a lot of heat insurance to the striking glass once I saw such great color... i was afraid I would lose the color if I did. And the shape probably doesn't help. Wonder if I tried bead release underneath, like with beads that are loose? I may experiment a little more, but I'm thinking it may not be feasible.

Thanks again

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2017-05-21, 10:39am
addicted to dichro

I think they are really likely to crack unless you use bead release underneath, even if they were round. So pretty though!

Old 2017-05-22, 3:32pm
I'm meeeeelting

I've never had a problem with cracking and mine have all been round. I make most without bead release, because I like them to be centered not hanging at a weird angle at the bottom (not a criticism, just personal preference).

Foot Pedal Tutorial:

Kevlar Fingerless Gloves:

Last edited by artsyuno; 2017-05-22 at 3:44pm.
Old 2017-05-23, 8:29pm

Me too. I've made plenty of round beads on keys, with and without bead release, and no problems with cracking. Just these distorted shapes... I like the idea of glass dripping down and around.

Old 2017-06-06, 7:07pm

you could use bead release and if you later wanted the bead in a certain place you could glue it there afterward