LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Studio

Studio -- Show us your studio setup

Old 2007-02-25, 6:08pm

ah ha! my fan is a Grainger also...but I am going to use an $10 range hood over the station not only to trap bad air but I love having the light above my torch.. we put in some type of halogen high power light bulb (I dunno) because of the boro that I do. I really like your idea of the tub.. great idea.

We did get in most of the cabinets today.. Looking so cool.. Even managed to put some stuffs in some already..

I am enjoying watching your progress on that cute shop.. keep showing us..

and where is "near" Seattle? I used to live in Monroe till last September...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2007-02-25, 10:36pm
reaction junkie

Near Seattle is Edmonds, we were in Carnation before that (last year).

Congrats on getting your cabs in! We got some plumbing in today (not too much) have major remodel going on inside the house too. So much to do....

/
/
/
Old 2007-02-26, 8:45am

What were the results of the pipes you discovered by accident??
Old 2007-02-26, 12:20pm
reaction junkie

oh, we had a locator out and they painted all kinds of lines all over our property and the neighbors (neighbors not too happy) and planted little yellow flags all over... and nothing lead to the pipes so we were good to go. I suspect the pipes were from the original property - there was a main house, a summer house (ours) and a log cabin and these pipes come from the direction of the old main house - so I think that's what it was. No longer in use, as suspected. But we had to make sure before we poured concrete over them.

/
/
/
Old 2007-02-26, 3:37pm
reaction junkie

The doors arrived this morning and the guys are up on the roof now - it's starting to get cute!

/
/
/
Old 2007-02-26, 3:46pm

How exciting for you! Can't wait to see tomorrow's photos.

Old 2007-02-26, 6:59pm
reaction junkie

Oh, but you don't have to wait til tomorrow Though they aren't coming tomorrow so there will be no progress for a few days.

Roof is framed:

Skylights are framed:

Sooooo close... but still nothing I can do yet.

/
/
/
Old 2007-03-05, 4:40pm
reaction junkie

the guys are up on the roof hammering shingles! Here's how it looked at their lunch break:

My skylight holes, these make me happy

And I'm working on putting my vent system together. I got my blower this weekend, it's the grainger 495 CFM blower/fan. This will be my hood, once I cut a hole in it and hang it upside down:

And these garden brackets are what will hold it up:

Getting there... maybe this weekend I'll be able to insulate and sheetrock and stuff

/
/
/
Old 2007-03-05, 4:44pm
Senior Moment

Glad to see they are finally back at it! Love the Bracket idea.
Dia

Old 2007-03-05, 4:45pm
Senior Moment

By the way, how loud is that blower? I was looking at it last night online.

Old 2007-03-05, 4:49pm
reaction junkie

I have no idea how loud it is. I'm planning on mounting it in a box outside the building... and am hoping that it won't be too loud from inside... and then maybe painting the box to look like a birdhouse so the neighbors don't have to look at an ugly box sticking out of the wall, though they may object more to the noise. I'll let you know when it's all set up, that was my biggest complaint about my last system - a dual fan kitchen hood - it was LOUD.

/
/
/
Old 2007-03-05, 6:08pm
reaction junkie

And now there are some shingles on! I'm so happy!

/
/
/
Old 2007-03-05, 6:23pm
Formerly SirWatson

Looking good!!!

<><
Old 2007-03-05, 7:44pm
lov'in life!!!

That is going to be absolutely adorable when you get it finished!!! What are you putting on the outside? Home away from home.,....ahhhhh. Congrats

The past is history...the future is a mystery...today is a gift...that's why
we call it the "Present".

Old 2007-03-05, 7:53pm
reaction junkie

thanks guys It's going to have siding to match the house. And maybe a trellis with some flowering vine growing up and over the door... and some sort of porch. I had not been planning a porch - I thought it was going to be right off the ground. So I need to figure out steps and landing. I want brick and am thinking a half circle... but hubby is thinking that sounds complicated. We will see!

/
/
/
Old 2007-03-18, 4:43pm

Any updates? I am looking forward to seeing the next step.

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. ---- Albert Einstein

Old 2007-03-18, 5:37pm
reaction junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by e. mort View Post
I am looking forward to seeing the next step.
So am I Eric, so am I. They didn't show up at all last week

But they said they would be here tomorrow. We also have the electrician coming tomorrow and I'm hoping he can fit my studio in with the rest of the stuff he's doing (rewiring part of the house, we have the old knob and tube stuff and while the bathroom remodel is going on we decided to update that portion of the house since half the walls are open anyway.)

Crossing fingers much progress is made this week. If things aren't up and running by April 1st... well I don't want to even think about it!

/
/
/
Old 2007-03-20, 1:40pm
reaction junkie

the guys are on the roof now finishing up the shingles and putting on the skylights. They haven't started on installing the the door yet though.

I just got back from the hardware store. I picked up door handles, a light for out side (that turns on at dusk) and track lights for inside.

These are my new track lights, only in silver, to hang from the cross support things - one set to direct toward the torch area, another to direct to the other side, the jewelry area.

The electricains are coming tomorrow to install a wall heater, outlets, lights, switches for the lights and exhaust fan...

And I picked up all the ducting I need to get the exhaust fan hooked up...

it's coming together... slowly, but surely

/
/
/
Old 2007-03-20, 4:34pm
reaction junkie

I got my end-cap on the blower:

Step 1:
Gather together blower, 8 inch end cap and a screwdriver. I bought this one from grainger:

Blower,495 CFM,115 V
Shaded Pole Blower, Air Flow @ 0.000 Inch Static Pressure 495 CFM, Speed 1570 , Voltage Rating 115 Volts, Power Rating 225 Watts, Current Rating 3.25 Amps, Frequency 60/50 Hertz, Thermal Protection Auto, Wheel Diameter 6 1/4 Inches, Wheel Width 4 1/4 Inches, Air Flow @ 0.100 Inch Static Pressure 476 CFM
Grainger Item # 4C445

Step 2:
Unscrew the 4 screws off the round part. Take that piece and trace around it on the top of the end cap. Mark the screw holes.

Step 3:
Notice there is a lip that bends in and make another circle in between there so that it will fit back in once the hole is cut. Hammer holes into the screw holes with whatever - I used a pointy screw and a screw driver to make my holes. Then I turned it over and hammered it all flat.

Step 4:
Start a bit of a hole by hammering in that screw a few times and then hammering in a flat screwdriver. Then take the tinsnips and cut away the hole.

Step 5:
Put the end cap and lip ring thing together and screw back on blower.

/
/
/

Last edited by BlueBetween; 2007-03-21 at 8:23am. Reason: to add blower model info
Old 2007-03-20, 4:52pm
Moving on!

Hey Pam;
It's good to see you here. I used to be over on Wet Canvas years ago under a different name and used to admire your jewelry all the while. Glad you're here now!
Make sure to post those pretties you make in the jewelry section here.
Great studio, btw!

- nothing right now.
Old 2007-03-20, 5:00pm
reaction junkie

Hi Angela, thanks! I haven't made anything in awhile - kinda swamped with the studio thing and the new house remodeling projects... but I can't wait to get back into it!

/
/
/
Old 2007-03-20, 5:03pm
reaction junkie

Some more progress - it's almost ready to stain/paint/put porch on. There is something wrong with the door and I got the wrong kind of handles... so not quite "done" the way I'd hoped it would be, yet.

Skylights are installed, it will start to dry out now!

Electrician comes tomorrow

/
/
/
Old 2007-03-20, 5:50pm

When your space is done, it is going to be stunning! I am so green with envy!
Old 2007-03-20, 8:41pm
Formerly SirWatson

Woo hoo! Looks great!

<><
Old 2007-03-21, 7:03am
Shine your bright side!

Pam...I can just imagine how excited you are!
It looks fabulous.

W00t!!

Website!
"When you discover your mission, you will feel its demand. It will fill you with enthusiasm and a burning desire to get to work on it." - W. Clement Stone
Old 2007-03-21, 7:24am

fun to watch this happening. good of you to share your excitement....

Old 2007-03-21, 8:11am
Senior Moment

Which direction does the air flow on those blowers? In the round out the square or visa-versa?

Love the way your studio is coming together!

Old 2007-03-21, 8:31am
reaction junkie

Thanks everyone - this is SO exciting. But stressfull too - my eye has developed a stress twitch - not good! This needs to finish up soon.

Dia, the round part sucks the air in, the rectangle blows the air out.

This is my "Plan" for it... but I'll share the reality as I go along - I think it will make life easier for so many people down the road just to see it step-by-step - just reading about it is SO confusing, especially if you're like me and you and had no clue which end was what! LOL.

My plan (more or less in this order):

Blower goes outside of building:

1. Cut hole in end cap, unscrew the thingy from the blower fan, stick end cap in between thingy in blower and screw it back on so that I now have something to attach the fan to the duct with. (DONE!)

2. Build a base shelf to hold blower with a rectangle hole in bottom of it for blower to blow air through. Put screen over hole (to keep birds/rodents out), screw blower to shelf, so it goes blower, screen, shelf.

3. Attach round duct to end cap on fan, tape up good and tight.

4. Stick duct through hole in wall, attach blower shelf to wall. Put that expanding foam stuff all around hole/duct to seal up good and tight.

5. Build a wooden box to over the blower and attaches to shelf... to protect blower from weather. Decorate to look like a birdhouse maybe. Or not.

Outside part done... somewhere in between here the electrician will hook up blower to on/off switch?)

Inside part:

1. Cut hole in washtub, insert "duct starter ring", figure out how to attach.

2. Insert 90 degree elbow and tape up good and tight.

3. Screw plant hanger thingys on to washtub for brackets.

4. Attach elbow to duct in wall, tape up good and tight.

5. Screw Brackets to wall.

6. Turn Fan on and See if It Works.

/
/
/

Last edited by BlueBetween; 2007-03-21 at 8:35am.
Old 2007-03-21, 4:06pm
reaction junkie

The electricians did their rough-in today. My studio has it's own circuit box, outlet boxes, light boxes, an in-wall heater (it will be right at my feet when I'm at the torch!) and switch boxes for the lights and blower. And a light for outside.

This is the corner with the circuit box:

This is where my workbench will be - the 4 plug box is for the kiln and is on it's own dedicated circut. I'm not sure that was necessary, but that's what the electrician thought was a good idea. One plug above the bench, one below for my oxycon (can't you just see it now?!).

And my lightboxes for my track lights:

Kind of boring, huh? But exciting all the same. None of this is powered up though - we need to dig a ditch so they can connect it all to the house power. Soon, I hope.

/
/
/

Last edited by BlueBetween; 2007-03-21 at 4:09pm.
Old 2007-03-21, 5:43pm

I plan on putting my kiln on its own circut, basically cause it uses amost 15amps all on its own. So I am thinking that is why your electrition did it.
ps my spelling is off tonight.