LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Old 2014-01-31, 11:20am

Question Devardi Torch Supplies

Hello Everyone,

This is my first post and I'm hoping I'm putting it in the right place.

I am looking to upgrade my hot head to a Nortel minor burner. While I was pricing things out I saw that Devardi has the lowest prices for Dual hoses, regulators and flash back arrestors.

Their 'Complete set' also comes with check valves which I'm not sure are needed (help).

I don't know if the quality of their gear is good. Does anyone have any experience with their torch equipment?

Last edited by The_Thorne; 2014-01-31 at 11:21am. Reason: Change the email notification setting.
Old 2014-01-31, 1:12pm
Shelarious

Hi there, welcome to the forum!

Here's a post that might be helpful on the torch: http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...2&postcount=21

I haven't seen a lot of other reviews on the Spartan. What I would do if I were in your shoes is get a torch that has good and solid resale value. I do not believe that the Spartan torch has this yet. You will eventually want to go bigger, and if you go with a Minor burner or a GTT Cricket, you will be able to sell those for about what you paid for them.

Here's some check valve info: http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=252571

Another thought I had - on items like hoses, flashback arrestors, and regulators, I would not go cheap. I would find out where they are getting these items before buying them. They are extremely important and you want to buy first quality.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2014-01-31, 2:39pm
Slogan Challenged...

Everything Shelley said is good advice, especially about the torch.

I bought a Bethlehem Alpha and I don't know anything about the Spartan, sorry. However, I want to say that I got my propane regulator there and it has worked great!

Facebook:

Etsy:

Old 2014-01-31, 4:05pm

Hi Thorne, glad to have you on LE!!

I'm glad you are going with a Nortel Minor. My Minor has been a real workhorse! Do you have a welding shop nearby? They might be able to help you with the regulators, hoses, etc.

Happy melting!
Helene
Old 2014-01-31, 4:34pm

Welcome!

I have had my Spartan torch and the complete set of regulators and hoses from Devardi for a little over a month. I'm on my 4th tank of oxygen (size 125) if that gives you an idea how much I've been using it. I am very happy with their equipment, prices, and especially their service. I could not justify spending twice the amount on this equipment and everything works just fine. My husband has done lots of welding and set everything up for me - and if it was not going to be safe, he would not have allowed me to use the equipment. Being fairly new to all this, I did not want to go "top-of-the-line" and then find out it wasn't really for me. It fits my needs at this stage of my skills and interest.

Just wanted to provide another point of view from someone that has the equipment you're asking about. It may not have the resale value as the other brands, but I don't plan on selling it. I am going to try a little boro with this torch to see if I like it. (Not really a good idea on the hot head.) If I decide to get into more boro, I would need a bigger torch anyway, and this one will still be useful. Also, I'm not trying to do this to recoup my costs, I'm doing this because I really enjoy it - so take it for what it's worth.

"I'd rather have glassy friends than classy friends."
Old 2014-02-01, 3:48am
Now part of the Dark Side

Anonther thing to consider: I get my hoses, regulators, and other misc. Stuff at my local welding supply shop. That way I'm building a relationship with someone that I can come to trust. It's not always about the $$$. It's good to have someone who can answer questions and provide quick help when you need it. The difference in price on the hoses and regulators will be eaten up in shipping and you will most likely get better quality when you shop loca. Oh, and you don't need heavy duty regulators, heavy duty refers more to the pressure needed to "cut" steel than how hard you plan to use them. The check valves are to keep one gase from backing up into the other's tank. Mostly needed on premix or welding torches. The flash back arrestores are a good safety measure, they keep flame from traveling back the hoses and into the regulator/tank. Again, mostly needed for premix torches but there accidents that can happen in a hot shop that can cause this as well.
Old 2014-02-01, 7:51am

The big advantage of investing in quality equipment is control, useable life, and ability to have something repaired or adjusted.
Low end hoses may not be rated for propane and tend to wear out faster.
Regulators may not have as fine control as you would like for working reactive glass.

My local shop will cut hoses to length and change out threaded fittings for barbed fittings and has sent regulators out for repair/calibration in the past.

Old 2014-02-01, 8:01am

I've had the Spartan for about 6 months. I love it. For doing soft glass I don't see any advantage in spending more money. I have even done some boro, but it takes a while to get it to melt.

I also have a lot of other "stuff" from DeVardi. Everything I have gotten has proven to be top quality. I would recommend them.

Bob Keyes

There is no more powerful cleaning fluid than the spit from your Mother's tongue.
Old 2014-02-02, 4:06pm

I don't think I'll get my torch from them, I'm really set on a Nortel Minor Burner. I was looking at the hoses, regulators, flashback arrestors, et al.

Sounds like people who have gotten the set up from Devardi have so far had good experiences.
Old 2014-02-02, 10:50pm
Slogan Challenged...

I want to add that their customer service is top notch, too. If you do have any problems with the equipment or anything else, they always respond with no hassle.

Facebook:

Etsy:

Old 2014-02-28, 1:58pm

I just opened up my new spartan from devardi. First...Wow talk about a compact little thing. I don't think I expected it to be able to fit in the palm of my hand. lol. But I still can't wait to hook it up and get to torching! I'm sad to say that the torch stand that came with it, doesn't quite seem to want to hold on to the torch....this may be a problem. Off to the local hardware store to swap out the fitting for something a smidge more snug....oooh and what an excuse to get a bigger canister of fuel while i'm there! Wheeee! Will be posting later on performance.

Tags
devardi, dual hoses, flash back arrestors, minor burner, nortel, regulators, upgrade