Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2009-03-23, 1:09pm
2008 About Time !

Default Who makes hollow shell beads

I have seen them on Lampwork etc.
Someone makes huge hollow round beads to look like shells
they poke a hole in the hollow and then frill it out
does anyone remember those????

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2009-03-23, 4:55pm
Back to 👊 1

Maybe look in the boro room? It is done with soft glass but I think you will have a little better luck on the "dark side". Wish I was there!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Don't make me cranky, I WILL "chuck a tanty!" a la PerfectDeb

Old 2009-03-23, 5:08pm

Yep, I remember! I think her name is Amorett...For some reason Phillips keeps popping in my mind. That may not be it exactly, but I think it's close.
She also made 100 men as I recall.
I loved her shells.
Hope this is what you are thinking of.
Maybe someone else has better details.
cheers,
jo

- A work in progress

Old 2009-03-23, 5:09pm

oh, and Loren Stump makes beauties too, but I get the feeling Amorette is who you are thinking of.
Maybe.
jo

- A work in progress

Old 2009-03-23, 5:18pm

I've been doing them for about five years, but I don't think I've posted any recent pictures. Do you need some help, or were you looking for someone special?

"It is easier to perceive error than to find truth, for the former lies on the surface and is easily seen, while the latter lies in the depth, where few are willing to search for it." Johann Wolfgang Von Goeth

My Blog
Old 2009-03-23, 5:35pm

I'd love to know how - just for the sake of knowing! lol! Amorett's were so cool!

Old 2009-03-23, 6:51pm

I'd like to see what one looks like.

My Non-Glass Sites:

Old 2009-03-23, 8:27pm

They ae gorgeous. Loren teaches them in soft glass in his class.
So I'm not going to tell the technque because it isn't mine. I believe the woman you are referring to learned from him.
Paula

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !
Old 2009-03-23, 9:40pm
novembersfyre everywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulaD View Post
They ae gorgeous. Loren teaches them in soft glass in his class.
So I'm not going to tell the technque because it isn't mine. I believe the woman you are referring to learned from him.
Paula
I learned how to blow hollow shells from Loren but they weren't actually beads - they were more like sculptures.

However, if you want to learn how to make hollow shell beads there is a tutorial in this book:

http://www.amazon.com/Glass-Bead-Wor...7869535&sr=8-2

This is a steal at around $16.00!!!

Old 2009-03-25, 6:48pm
2008 About Time !

Pam
you were my first ever class - never was on a torch and I took your hollow fish class at glass craft expo

good news I can make humongous hollows and of course fish !

the bead is large and hollow - on a mandrel once made you poke a hole and flare it out
would love to see your beads
I saw one at a show with chain through the mandrel holes and chains dangling through the flared opening - looked great

I just wondered who actually started the trend

Old 2009-03-25, 7:01pm
2008 About Time !

Amoret's conch shells are close
the ones I saw were more round
getting closer !

Old 2009-03-25, 7:05pm

Hi Deborah, you are so sweet. Here is a necklace I did for a show back in 2004. Who started it, I have no idea. I came up with the idea myself, but others could have done so too, either before or after.

So, made on a mandrel, hollow bead with a transparent pink as the first layer, then coated in gold leaf, cased in white with powdered glass in both black and white. Instructions are, make a hollow bead, cool and then heat one spot. Using tweezers or long-nose pliers reach into the heated spot and pull a gob of glass out of the side of the bead creating a long tube. Allow the tube to cool, then crack off with the pliers. Using scissors, cut the opening for the shell. It's really simple.
Attached Images

"It is easier to perceive error than to find truth, for the former lies on the surface and is easily seen, while the latter lies in the depth, where few are willing to search for it." Johann Wolfgang Von Goeth

My Blog
Old 2009-03-25, 7:24pm
Spectrum rulz

A lady on the gallery website that I belong to sells them. Her name is Terri Smith. The website if www.northcoastbeadmakers.com.au check it out with the dive in the Aussie $ compared to the US $ you would be picking up super bargains buying now.
Old 2009-03-26, 9:06am

Pretty necklace Pam.
Paula

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !
Old 2009-03-26, 9:15am

Ooh. Terri was in the last sig swap... maybe she'll make hollow shells for this one.

Pam, that's really neat! I love your stuff

My Non-Glass Sites:

Old 2009-03-26, 3:32pm
It's all about the color.

There are some in this issue (Spring 2009) of The Flow that came in the mail yesterday. The Venetian Style Seashell Tutorial is by Mike Warren and Naomi clark. Here are some of his on his glassartists page:
http://www.glassartists.org/Img18808...82_ps7.JPG.asp

(If the link doesn't work, edit the s out of your browser. It should be "http" not "https" Sometimes LE put in an S just for the heck of it.)

Old 2009-03-26, 6:55pm
2008 About Time !

Pam
love the necklace really like the colors

listen up tks for link those are amazing too

nope those are still not them.....but boy nice shells everyone

Deb

Old 2009-03-26, 7:34pm
No Problem!

Hey Deb, they're not beads but (coincidentally with the same name as yourself) Deb Crowley makes some big awesome blown seashells..
http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...ghlight=Shells
Probably not what you're after but hey...
Pam is on point with how you would go about it with mandrel..Lots of possiblites when you think of how the glass can be layered for cool effects and/or realism...

(Beau & Shani)

Old 2009-03-26, 8:21pm
Burning Fingers!

I think the person you may be inquiring about is Susan (oh dear, I can't remember her last name) from eastern Canada - perhaps Nova Scotia. Not a lot of help am I? LOL! I think she had a tutorial in one of the more recent Annealer magazines - I will go and look it up for you.

/
/
/

Old 2009-03-26, 8:24pm
Burning Fingers!

OK got it - it is Susan Hood, and it is in the Spring 2008 issue of The Flow magazine. She gives instructions on how to make these beads/sculptures using Bullseye Glass. Hope that is what you are after.

/
/
/

Old 2009-03-27, 12:02am
It's all about the color.

Here is Susan Hood's BeadArtists page:
http://www.beadartists.org/Gal6793_Phantasea_Shells.asp

I love seeing all the creative talents interpretations of hollow seashells. Oh gosh, I have that issue too. I'll have to check it out in the morning. I'm off to bed now.

(If the link doesn't work, edit the s out of your browser. It should be "http" not "https" Sometimes LE put in an S just for the heck of it.)

Old 2009-03-27, 2:45pm
2008 About Time !

Susan HOod thats who's beads I saw ! she wasnt listed in the vendor list for bead oasis when I looked and probably because I saw them in the mag too
that is them !

but wow on Deb crowley's beads
funny was just emailing her today too....

thank you all

Last edited by Dread; 2009-03-28 at 5:23am.