No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2009-10-21, 1:10pm
Flaming Redhead!

Default Issues with recent batch of Precision Diamond Clear

I'm wondering if anyone else is having issues with the recent batch of Diamond Clear? Mine is cracking...big time. The cracks look like thermal cracks as they run along the mandrel line. However, in the same bead the cracks are also running across the mandrel line. And, I work really, really hot with the beads glowing going into the kiln. The beads I made that cracked were using the exact same glass/colours that I've used with the older batch of Diamond Clear so the only thing that changed was the clear.

I purchased this glass a little over a week ago, and the vendor had just gotten it in so I think it's the most recent batch that Precision has made. This happened a couple years ago to me so I stayed away from the Diamond Clear until just recently. All the beads I made with Diamond Clear prior to this new batch were fine, no cracking whatsoever. So...anyone else having this problem?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A thing of beauty is a joy forever: its loveliness increases; it will never pass into nothingness.
- John Keats
Old 2009-10-21, 1:11pm
Life is change. Love it

Oh no, say it isn't so!

Old 2009-10-21, 1:22pm
Against the Grain

Oh dear. I haven't had any problems yet, but haven't ordered more in 3 or 4 weeks.

Old 2009-10-21, 5:46pm
Catnip Pusher

Uh-oh. I just got some about a week ago too - and used it today!

How soon are the cracks appearing? Right out of the kiln? Or after they sit a while?

Aimee
Old 2009-10-21, 6:24pm
And silence is golden

You might want to voice your concerns with Abe at Northstar. He might want to hear what everyone seems to be experiencing with the DC. I just received a batch not long ago that was riddled with bubbles, and one of my tab beads cracked down the middle along the mandrel line. There were several variables to consider in that bead though. 1. Devardi base. 2. Goldstone powder frit. 3. Encased in Diamond Clear. 4. Bead cooled in a fiber blanket. Not the best recipe for the perfect outcome!

Type in Diamond Clear for a search here. There are several threads posted about it. It is a lovely clear, but a bit pricey to have so many issues. I do look foreward to a reformulated version.
Old 2009-10-21, 7:52pm
Life is change. Love it

Most of those threads refer to one older batch. Before and since then DC has been mainly problem free. I hope this is an isolated incident.

Old 2009-10-21, 7:58pm
Dangerous Woman

See, all of this scares me from trying DC. Even if you get the bad batch replaced, the whole thing - from screwing up beads, to contacting the seller to sending back glass and paying extra for the extra shipping on top of the high cost of the glass is all just too much for me.

May your torch burn brightly and your oxy never run out. - Karen Hardy

On a Cheetah with a hurricane Still have my Lynx as a back up.
Old 2009-10-21, 8:18pm
Formerly FishBulb

Ack. What great timing it was for me that I have bought about 3/4 of a pound of it in the last week or two. This batch has been sitting at my local glass supplier for quite awhile so I'll keep my fingers and toes and eyes crossed that it's not a problem batch.

Then I'll just stick with Moretti Super Clear after I use this batch up. I've never had any problems with it and I don't even get bubbles and scum and whatnot. Yeesh.

I do remember Traci having a long thread in Tips about Diamond Clear (I think). Maybe I'll see if I can find it.

In Soviet Russia, Google searches you.
Old 2009-10-21, 8:20pm
Formerly FishBulb

Well, seek and ye shall find:

http://lampworketc.com/forums/showth...nd+clear+traci

I think I'll read that thread through before I use any more of the DC.

Old 2009-10-21, 8:29pm
Glass junkie

oh no - not again ?
Old 2009-10-21, 8:32pm
Life is change. Love it

OK, we have one person who is having problems and everyone is freaking. Lets see if anyone else has any problems before we condemn this glass OK?

Old 2009-10-21, 8:33pm
Flaming Redhead!

The cracks appeared either right out of the kiln or less than 6 hours later. Thankfully I didn't put any up for sale! Hopefully the beads you made today will be ok, if not...I'm sorry. There's nothing worse than putting alot of hours and effort into you beads only to have them crack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolychromeBeads View Post
Uh-oh. I just got some about a week ago too - and used it today!

How soon are the cracks appearing? Right out of the kiln? Or after they sit a while?

Aimee

A thing of beauty is a joy forever: its loveliness increases; it will never pass into nothingness.
- John Keats
Old 2009-10-21, 8:36pm

So true!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishBulb View Post
Ack.
Then I'll just stick with Moretti Super Clear after I use this batch up. I've never had any problems with it and I don't even get bubbles and scum and whatnot. Yeesh.

Old 2009-10-21, 8:38pm
Flaming Redhead!

I did search prior to posting and saw that some had issues...but the posts were older so I figured that was a bad batch from back when...And yeh, this stuff is spendy, I figure at this price I won't expect it to make me coffee but I do expect it not to crack!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleta View Post
Type in Diamond Clear for a search here. There are several threads posted about it. It is a lovely clear, but a bit pricey to have so many issues. I do look foreward to a reformulated version.

- John Keats
Old 2009-10-21, 8:39pm
Flaming Redhead!

I don't want to condemn this glass as I really like it...when it's good. But when it's bad...it's really bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolyn M View Post
OK, we have one person who is having problems and everyone is freaking. Lets see if anyone else has any problems before we condemn this glass OK?

- John Keats
Old 2009-10-21, 8:43pm
And silence is golden

BTW Alex, I just visited your website. What stunning pieces in your gallery!
Old 2009-10-21, 8:43pm
maybe tomorrow

I just got 3 lbs, but haven't used it yet. I have a show this weekend, so I won't use this newest batch until after that to be sure I don't have any problems. At least I still have enough from previous batches to get me by for a bit if there is a problem with this batch.

Old 2009-10-21, 8:45pm
Flaming Redhead!

Thanks for the link, great info there! There was alot of discussion regarding annealing schedules...well, mine is very conservative. Garaged at 950, held for 2 hours and ramped down verrrry slowly to 400 when it shuts off. None of my other beads made that day cracked, and some were encased with pale aqua and pale emerald in the same way I encased the others with the Diamond Clear. I'm pretty much at a loss here, it would be one thing if I was new to this...but I'm not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishBulb View Post
Well, seek and ye shall find:

http://lampworketc.com/forums/showth...nd+clear+traci

I think I'll read that thread through before I use any more of the DC.

- John Keats
Old 2009-10-21, 8:46pm
Flaming Redhead!

Thank you so much!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleta View Post
BTW Alex, I just visited your website. What stunning pieces in your gallery!

- John Keats
Old 2009-10-21, 8:48pm
Flaming Redhead!

Toni, I sure hope you didn't get a bad batch, but definitely a wish decision not to use it yet. I'd be curious to see if you have any problems with it when you do use it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Lutman View Post
I just got 3 lbs, but haven't used it yet. I have a show this weekend, so I won't use this newest batch until after that to be sure I don't have any problems. At least I still have enough from previous batches to get me by for a bit if there is a problem with this batch.

- John Keats
Old 2009-10-21, 9:03pm
maybe tomorrow

I'll try to remember to post back here once I've used it a bit.

Old 2009-10-22, 5:56am
Formerly FishBulb

I've used a bit of mine but I still have to batch anneal, and I haven't done any of these yet. I'll report back either way.

Also, who knows if only one person is having problems -- only one with problems has posted here thus far but maybe there are more. Anyway, it sounds like a good idea to do some more test beads with it before I go too nuts on the fancy beads.

Old 2009-10-22, 7:56am

Hi,
I,also, have just started having the same cracking issues, along the mandrel line. The problem appears just out of the kiln and so far up to 6 hours out. I can't honestly say what clear it is, because I have mixed it up. But, that does not make me feel better, now I am nervous about all the clear in thet area.I did make some beauties! Does anyone know if repairing the cracks will last? or is this a problem that will happen again? I did fix one last night and it looks good so far.
Thanks, Mimi
Old 2009-10-22, 8:51am
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

You can't fix incompatibility, so if your repairs work, it was likely a thermal crack rather than incompatibility.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2009-10-22, 9:31am
Meow.

Like Squid said. I had a whopper wine stopper top (years ago) encased in clear (Lauscha). I LOVED it. But the clear KEPT showing cracks - and I KEPT repairing it - honestly hoping it was a thermal issue - every time, the next day there was a new crack. Was very frustrating - but a lesson learned.

Go on. Click it!

Yes. We. Did!
Old 2009-10-22, 10:03am
Lampworkaholic!

New problem? A friend of mine bought some DC on my recommendation. The rods look beautiful, crystal clear, but as soon as you melt them, you get pure scum, as if out of nowhere. We tried it on her torch and my torch, tried different rods, same issue. Anyone else?

I so love DC and have been using up the shorts I bought from Ron and Rocio a while back, which are awesome. Now I am worried about ordering DC again. I hope Northstar quickly resolves the quality control problems it seems to be having with DC.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2009-10-22, 10:36am

Elizabeth - I bought a half pound from Frantz recently and am having the same problem. Nice clean rods but a bunch of scum when I use them. They aren't cracking though. Just thought it was me....
Jenny

Old 2009-10-22, 10:51am
Formerly Icarus Beads :)

I did order DC one week ago, and yes, I do have problems with cracking. Mostly along the mandrel, but some also along the shoulders. Have two sets that I had to throw away.

However - I am at this point not sure whether it's the DC and don't want to point the finger at the DC.

For the first set I was using an odd combination of DH odd lots, Vetrofond dk ivory, dichro stringers (which are according to Carol encased in Lauscha clear) and DC for the encasing.

As I was so sure that the Vetrofond dk ivory might be the problem combined with the DH odd lot, I made another set. Same combination, without the ivory. Unfortunately the same problem.

So now I was assuming that the dichro stringers are the problem - even though I made several sets in the last few weeks with this exact glass combination (but using Aether to encase) without cracking. I though it's the dichro stringers because I was using a new batch of dichro stringers. I didn't even think so far as that the DC might be the culprit.

Ouch!

Etsy Vintage shop

Webpage ->

Last edited by Judith Billig; 2009-10-22 at 10:54am.
Old 2009-10-22, 11:41am
Catnip Pusher

I checked all my beads from yesterday - so far, no problems. I did some lotus beads with Rubino encased in my new batch of DC, that uses a lot of clear. Also a tab with StrikingColor encased in DC, and another focal that has some striking murrini with big ol' of DC dots on top.

I'll definitely keep an eye on everything.

Didn't notice any scumming issues (other than the cr@p I can do myself!), but again I'll be on the lookout for it.

Aimee
Old 2009-10-22, 12:10pm

One of the things I have learned from Abe in the past is to up your oxygen if you are getting scum or haze and burn it off. Kimberly Affleck also posted this some where on the forum in the past.

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !