No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2010-03-07, 9:03pm
Gay rights R human rights

Default Why T rated hose?

Ok I got my new scorpion torch but it comes without any hoses, just the barbed fittings. I went to my local welding shop to get new hoses and they just looked at me funny when I asked for 'T' rated hose. I can buy a new set of hoses online but they come with compression fittings on each end. I need something to make a "tail" out of ....

So....my question is this....why specifically do we have to use "T" rated hoses and not 'R' rated hose...

I am getting frustrated having this wonderful new torch and not being able to hook it up.

Thanks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
bravo torch with 2 ex20's
Old 2010-03-07, 9:24pm

'R' grade hose is for acetylene *only*. If you run propane through it, the rubber inside the hose can rot, weakening the hose, and spit pieces of rubber into your torch.

'T' grade hose is for all gasses, including propane, MAPP gas, natural gas, *and* acetylene.

Malcolm
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Email:

Phone:+1.408.288.7978
Old 2010-03-08, 5:30am

You can just cut the compression fitting off and slip the end of the hose on the barb and add a hose clamp and you are good to go!

"It is easier to perceive error than to find truth, for the former lies on the surface and is easily seen, while the latter lies in the depth, where few are willing to search for it." Johann Wolfgang Von Goeth

My Blog
Old 2010-03-08, 7:13am

Seems very odd that your local welding shop was puzzled. And what Pam said. Cut off the fitting. I actually buy a long set and cut them in half, and then I have two sets, with one fitted end each.
Old 2010-03-08, 7:21am
ManBearPig

Find a new welding shop immediately.

•
•
•
Old 2010-03-08, 8:23am
Gentleman of Leisure

Quote:
Originally Posted by echeveria View Post
Seems very odd that your local welding shop was puzzled. And what Pam said. Cut off the fitting. I actually buy a long set and cut them in half, and then I have two sets, with one fitted end each.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmo View Post
Find a new welding shop immediately.
Ditto.. Echeveria and Cosmo are correct... IF welding shop does not know about hose grades you are shopping wrong place....

If you are going to cut fittings off "standard" hose cut them about a foot or eighteen inches from fitting so you have "stub" hoses for future use/repairs....

I really wish torch manufactures would abandon push on (barbed) fittings and use standard threaded fittings.... Or at least supply "stub" hoses with torch....

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal

Last edited by Dale M.; 2010-03-08 at 8:28am.
Old 2010-03-08, 1:36pm
as in the state

I'm surprised torch manufacturers haven't abandoned the barbed fittings. I have heard of places that don't allow demos with the torches because they don't have threaded fittings. I would feel more secure if my torches had threaded fittings.

-Amy
Old 2010-03-08, 1:50pm

I actually prefer the barbed fittings because I am more confident in it than b-fittings. However, that's me. It is true that many fire marshals in recent years are demanding the b-fittings, and I'm sure they have their reasons. I have never found a torch manufacturer yet that will not put them on for you if you request it when ordering your torch.

"It is easier to perceive error than to find truth, for the former lies on the surface and is easily seen, while the latter lies in the depth, where few are willing to search for it." Johann Wolfgang Von Goeth

My Blog
Old 2010-03-08, 2:17pm
as in the state

I hadn't thought about requesting it that way when I order the torch.

I just got my cuda set up at the welding shop here. You wanna talk hose clamps! With the quad manifold and the foot pedal, we had 10 hose clamps on that beast!

-Amy
Old 2010-03-08, 3:01pm

I think you can also get retro-fits for lots of torches, just contact the manufacturer. I'm almost sure Beth has them. Of course they charge, but..............I have 10 hose clamps on mine also, but to me, then there is only one place to leak, where the hose meets the barb, as opposed to one on each side of the b-fitting and the b-fitting itself. I like simple!

My Blog
Old 2010-03-25, 4:24pm

Like Pam said--it's pretty hard to have a "failure" in a barbed fitting--short of just breaking it off from abuse--if you can tighten a hose clamp sufficiently & leak test it, you can be sure you have a secure connection --it's one less thing you need to send the torch away for possible repair on later!

new purple cricket @ home! minicc @ playing with fire in rockland! Sue & Nikki fighting over who gets to anneal the wonkies
Old 2010-03-25, 4:36pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale M. View Post
Ditto.. Echeveria and Cosmo are correct... IF welding shop does not know about hose grades you are shopping wrong place....

If you are going to cut fittings off "standard" hose cut them about a foot or eighteen inches from fitting so you have "stub" hoses for future use/repairs....

I really wish torch manufactures would abandon push on (barbed) fittings and use standard threaded fittings.... Or at least supply "stub" hoses with torch....

Dale
I agree.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.